MCRD San Diego vs. MCRD Paris Island
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question MCRD San Diego vs. MCRD Paris Island

I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each were, and any other input about which is better, harder, makes the best marines . I heard that San Diego is hot but not that humid and Paris Island is hot, humid and alot of other things. Just wondering because when i sign ill be heading to San Diego.

You get issued Sunglasses at SD and its mandatory you have a tan, cuz you have to go to all the Hollywood parties to meet all the hottest actresses. Thats when your not at the beach playing beach blanket bingo. In my opinion , West Coast humps are harder cuz we have alot of hills, but then again we dont have to deal with the sand fleas. I personally never really experienced them but all my friends who went there , thats all they ever complained about.

They both make Marines, so there is no real difference. The heat is heat... it doesn't matter. When the wet bulb index reached 90, training is over regardless of which depot you are at.

Now, the real difference, in San Diego you become a mountain climber. At PI, you become bug food. Personally, I would rather climb mountains, so I am glad I went to MCRD SD. But, since it matters where you live, not what you want to do, I don't really see that it matters which one you think is better.

Pros and Cons.......A Hollywood Marine will tell you San Diego is harder, and a PI Marine will tell you the Island is harder...... Yeah they have sand fleas, but theyre humps have no hills, they dont know what its like to run up a hill with a full pack during the Crucible......I remember my squad having to run up and down the mini reaper 3 times, right about then I wish I had sand fleas on me... The weather is different, its hot in both places, but the Island is swampy and humid......Being from Chicago I know what humidity does to you...But if it gets too hot, they have black flag days......its all just friendly rivalry, either place will turn you into a Marine.......

and about which makes better Marines,....Drill Instructors are Drill Instructors so they both make great Marines......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It doesn't matter Wolfman....You have no say where you're going and they both make Marines. That is all you need worry about. 'Nuff said!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One of the worst things about San Diego is that the MCRD is right next to the airport and you have to watch (don't get caught doing it) the freedom birds all day long---I know---I had to chase one!

Either one produces Marines. The rivalry is just that, a rivalry, nothing more. If you have the choice (and contrary to what I've seen in some posts above, there are places that have the option for either or if your parent went to one but you live in the region for the other, you get the option there as well), I would go to San Diego and avoid the Sand Fleas, take the mountains and the jets.

The real TRUE test to answer this question would be to have Marines answer who went to San Diego as a recruit, then served as a Drill Instructor at Parris Island, and vice versa Parris Island Recruit and San Diego Drill Instructor. I think you will find both are very equal in turning out quality Marines...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Range Coach....sad to say but I had to Chase a couple of Freedom Birds while screaming trying to drown out the engine noise with my wings(arms) spread out. Never caught one either.

I know they both make the best warriors on earth, but i was just wondering about the differences like terrain and such. Thanks.

San Diego affords one the opportunity to traipse up and down hills with a jaunty pack strapped to one's back. PI does not afford the same opportunity. During the Crucible, recruits at San Diego get to climb the Reaper (as in Grim Reaper). PI recruits are stuck with having to do their humps on hardball on flat ground.

One other thing. PI is where they train the girls.

well i think that marines from parris island are better than marines from san diego.... just kidding.. marines are marines... just because we were not all trained at the same depot doesnt make us any better than the other.. the training is all the same...

anyone who says there isnt bugs in San Diego, forgot about Edson range and all them lil bitting ants

I'm with Range Coach on this one. Our barracks, and from my bunk...I could watch those birds all night long. Pure torture.....LOL

Yeah no hills but try having a flash flood and wading thru a foot of water during your hump, that rocked.

Thread Information