Question for the Female Marines
Create Post

Question Question for the Female Marines

Did you cut your hair to lay above your collar before shipping to MCRD-PI? I had my hair short (like boy short -- it met Navy male hair standards) when I was in college and every morning I had to get up to PT with my Corps of Cadets or get ready for formation I thanked my lucky stars that I got to sleep in longer than the other girls that had to slick back their hair and find a way to get it into a no-fly-aways bun. Since then I've let my hair grow and am debating if I should cut it again. It's currently long enough to put into a bun with the "sock trick." I know that hair grows, but my hunch is that if I cut it for bootcamp it'll have to be short for my Marine Corps career because of that wacky in-between stage where your hair is too long to meet standard and too short to put in a bun (which is why I kept my hair short all through college -- that wacky in-between stage always kept me from growing it out).

I know this is a lot of vanity, but I'm wondering what you female Marines did in regards to your hair for bootcamp.

Thank y'all very much.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cut it for bootcamp - you'll be glad you did. By the time you get out in the fleet, it will have grown some and there is ALWAYS somebody in the barracks that did hair before they went in the Corps. Since mine is long now (longer than I've ever worn it) I'm picking up all kinds of styles in mags that you can use bobby pins with and as long as the bobby pins are the same color as your hair and you learn how to use them to where they're hidden, you'll do fine.

My lil poolee cut hers a few months ago to get used to it being short...the back is just above the collar and the front she secures behind her ears...nice neat and will be much cooler for a summer at PI

Thanks you two.

LCpl. Green, I'd say that my hair is a lot like yours, judging from your picture in your profile. It does that wavy curly thing.

How does Kaydra like her hair? If I were to cut it, I think I'd go short-short because of the curl/wave/frizz factors.

She likes it....when she's dressed up she does this gel sticky thing with it where it's kinda spikey in a cute way in the back...and when she's PT'n or just lounging she leaves it straight...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just be sure you don't go too short- I know plenty of females who'd love to "GI Jane" it, but can't, because for females, buzzed or shaved heads fall into the category of "faddish or eccentric," as the uniform regulations term it.

Oh, don't worry. I won't shave my head. :-p Thanks for the heads up, though.

While not a Marine that is also a woman (for Lorix's sake, I am being PC), I did have a few in my platoon from time to time. I can't speak for everyone, but when I did personel inspections, I would give a little room to a girl that was growing her hair out after having it cut short. As long as there was a real effort made to do it properly, a fly-away or two was OK by me. I would have to assume I'm not the only one that does that.

I am glad that I found this thread. I have very short hair. I just want to be sure my hair regulation, because I am wanting to join. It is short enough top spike, but can be groomed in a more non-faddish style as well. Would this be a problem?? I know the dyed blonde lok has to go. Which I can sacrifice.

My hunch is that as long as you dye it to a more natural color, you'd be just fine. Maybe you'll want to let it grow out a bit but as long as it's not faddish, I've been told it was okay. There was a time when I was in military college that I had hair that I could spike if I wanted to. I never got yelled at for it. Usually they'd find something else to get on my case about. :-p

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you look at the other pics I have posted, you'll see the one of me in uniform - that's how short I cut mine - it was a tad longer on top (to show off the waves of course) and didn't make me look butch when I wasn't in uniform. I kept it short the whole time I was in. Just easier to handle...........

Thread Information