How often does THIS happen??
Create Post

Red face How often does THIS happen??

Hello everyone~

Well I joined this site a few days ago, and I've read a lot of the posts and some of the rules and other information and I've learned quite a lot of new things.

I'm a bit nervous to post my question since I've read some of the reactions to some posts, however I figure any well thought out question that is not asked, leaves a person ignorant and you only lose by not asking. I also wasn't sure where to post this, but was advised by someone helpful that this Forum was an ok place to do so.

I have a very good friend in the Marine Corps. He's been in for 7 years and is currently a SSgt serving in Iraq. I have learned so much from him and about the Corps that I never knew before. In fact, it wasn't that I was unaware of the Marine Corps and what our Marines do for us...but yeah, I kind of was... So now I'm having my horizons broadened and I'm loving it.

To get to my question (yeah sorry, I can tend to be long winded...). My friend David was scheduled to be sent home with the men in his unit on the 5th of this month, then they got delayed for a week....and then they got delayed again...but this time for a month. I was crushed and heartbroken, I wouldn't be seeing my boys (I've gotten to know them all as I've been corresponding with them via email when they have time). So now they're not scheduled to come home until mid June.

This was a shock to me, I had no idea this could happen...I guess I didn't want to fathom it. My question...Does this happen alot? That the Marine Corps will delay them? I know how hard it's been for me, but I can't imagine how it's been on their morale and spirits in trying to get home to their wives, kids and families and to have that ripped out from underneath them twice.

I do know they chose to be there and they are doing their jobs and proudly serving, so I'm not b**ching about that. But how many times can a mans spirit handle being told, "Marine, you're going to stay one more month and you'll get home eventually." ?

Thanks for reading this and thanks for bearing with me.
    Angela

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Angela,

Your question is not an uncommon one. First you need to consider what they do for a living besides being a Marine. Secondly consider where they are. Thirdly consider the tempo that there are sustaining. To answer you question it happens a lot depending on a lot of factors. Yes morale does suffer but most of these Marines think about what they are doing and why they are doing it. There may be down time that would be the worst for most. Just things for you to think about. I know that they appreciate people like you more than you know. I am with you on this one. I am a brother in arms for all of the Marines.

The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask

Thank you!!

Thank you. I do sometimes get so frustrated and grab a beer to cry into, or three lol, then I remember that they're in Hell and that I have a soft bed to sleep in at night and I feel like an ungrateful wench lol.

I hope I don't come across as unappreciative or complaining. I adore them and what they do and every single email that I've gotten from the "boys" as I've lovingly termed them, they all address me as Ma'am and even though that makes me feel old I appreciate them and their respect and David says they sure enjoy the weekly emails, so I keep doing what I can to put smiles on their faces.

Any advice you have, I will of course readily soak up!!
    Thanks a milion!
    Angela

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Angela,

You may have enough time to organize a Welcome Home Commitee. That would be well recived for a fact. It has happened with a lot of frequency in these past years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We've all gone through it at one point or another. Even going to another country during peacetime is hard - you can't take your favorite people with you...................we sure as hell didn't do it for the money. I wish there had been email and cell phones when I went through - would have made it WAY easier.

Yes I had hoped to actually have a welcome home committee of ONE lol...I had airfare actually to go down to southern cali, so at least it wasn't clear across the country or anything...but I had to cancel it.

I waited 3 hours before the flight was to leave, and was able to get the credit for another trip, however he was not able to get in contact with me until late that day that I was supposed to fly, so I had no idea where he was or what was happening, and THAT stunk big time!

I don't blame him, but I tried to stay strong and hide the tears I usually manage to stay pretty optimistic and upbeat, but even the best of us get down at times!

This is great being able to talk to you guys about it though, a huge help.

Hi David's girl,
    You sound like one awesome woman. I am new to this, my son is currently at MCT at Camp Geiger...grad 05/30. I've been looking for a way to become involved in suppoting our Marines...I am not much of a joiner but would love to write to our boys....how are you doing it?
    Thanks for your help in advance, Eve

Aww that's very sweet of you to say Momaton. I was able to get emails from my friend David for the rest of the guys in his unit. So that's how I am writing to them.

A lot of people send care packages or end up "Adopting" a Marine/Soldier or someone over there. Here's a website that has some stuff that's going on or some ideas...

http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/am...syou/help.html

Here is another site that is good and I'll give you the address to it's "links" page and you can choose from there where to go...

http://www.soldiersangels.org/Soldiers_Angels_Links.php

However sometimes I find that the quickest and one of the most profound ways to support them is to have a bumper sticker or ribbon on your vehicle or desk at work. And I'm always talking about them lol, letting people know they're out there, so we can be here.

Thanks,
    Angela

Thread Information