MCT & MOS School - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "You learn how to kill.. again... only HARDER"

David said something about learning to shoot the "big guns" I'm taking it to mean .50 cal Machine guns, bazooka type things, field training.. etc. Everyone else should be able to elaborate a lot more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    I thought that SOI was only for infantry, and MCT was for everyone else.... ???
    SOI stands for the School of Infantry and MCT stands for Marine Combat Training, ITB is Infantry Training Battalion

ITB is the school for infantrymen and MCT is the school for non Infantry.

SOI is a regiment ITB and MCT are battalions

I got a letter from him today!!!! He got to Camp Geiger at 1900 Monday night. He's not really going to get to call me on weekends at all. He said that 18/22 of the days he's got at MCT are going to be in the field. Even if he can't get mail everyday, I'm going to write to him. I'm sure it'll help him cope. He said that it's a very old and worn out base. Most of the others there with him are going through separation anxiety. I'm so happy that I got a letter! Now I understand a little more. Thanks everyone for your help! Any other information of what he's going through at MCT will be GREATLY appreciated, and also, if anyone else has experience with the ELINT or SIGINT MOS and MOS school, let me know! I'm curious about everything, and I want to be there for David as much as possible! Thanks!!!

God Bless!!!!!
    <3

"You learn how to kill.. again... only HARDER"

David said something about learning to shoot the "big guns" I'm taking it to mean .50 cal Machine guns, bazooka type things, field training.. etc. Everyone else should be able to elaborate a lot more than me.
    ha ha they are probably showing him how to shoot the machineguns. I think the students don't actually get to shoot them anymore (anything above the M240g) but they do get classes.

Registered User Free Member micah24's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    He will probably get to call you twice from out in the field. In the field they get "liberty" on two Sundays, which isn't really liberty. They basically get one hour with 5 different stations. One station is eating a hot meal. One is
    doing a police call (cleaning up trash). One is buying stuff from a PX (which is basically a very small trailor). One is a study station where they study for upcoming exams. And finally one is a phone call station. Be warned that he will only get about 5 minutes on these pay phones, and these pay phones are in such bad shape that he will spend about 3 of the 5 minutes trying to get the thing to dial 1-800-collect correctly, so he can make a call utilizing his debit card. Then they will get a final liberty when they get back to Camp Geiger, which lasts around 2 hours I believe. He'll get a chance to call you then too. He'll also get the opportunity to email you then too if he wishes. There is some family that shows up for the final liberty and graduation, but hardly any. Most likely he won't get any of your letters while he is in the field. He'll probably get back to Camp Geiger and one day before he graduates he'll get like 5 letters from you at one time. At MOS school he'll be able to have his cell phone and call you all he wants after 4:30 p.m. On weekends he'll get off-base liberty.

I got a letter from him today!!!! He got to Camp Geiger at 1900 Monday night. He's not really going to get to call me on weekends at all. He said that 18/22 of the days he's got at MCT are going to be in the field. Even if he can't get mail everyday, I'm going to write to him. I'm sure it'll help him cope. He said that it's a very old and worn out base. Most of the others there with him are going through separation anxiety. I'm so happy that I got a letter! Now I understand a little more. Thanks everyone for your help! Any other information of what he's going through at MCT will be GREATLY appreciated, and also, if anyone else has experience with the ELINT or SIGINT MOS and MOS school, let me know! I'm curious about everything, and I want to be there for David as much as possible! Thanks!!!

God Bless!!!!!
    <3

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Some MCT Info

Maria
    My daugher just completed MCT at Camp Geiger. BTW - she said that those 3 weeks were worse than Boot at PI! But, she got through it! She was able to receive letters from me, but they did not have time to write back. I did not hear from her once.

She did take her cell phone with her, though it was confiscated at the start, she did get it back on Libery Sunday right before Graduation. That's when I got the first call. They let her come home for her 2 week RA postion on Monday - so she actually missed the grad ceremony.

She will be leaving for her MOS at Little Creek VA at the end of this week after walking with her HS Grad class for graduation ceremonies. Andy they are letter her wear her dress blues!

She is taking her cell phone and a laptop comuter, which they can use. I've been emailing with her boyfriend while he's been at Little Creek and he has use of his phone there as well.

Hope this information helps!

PMM Joanne of PFC Maureen
    MRDPI 4/21/06, Papa Co, PLT 4013
    MCT Camp Geiger, 5/22/06
    Little Creek VA, Musi Detachment

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Smile MCT Schedule Link

If anyone if interested in taking a look - here is a link to the MCT training schedule. It is JAMMED PACKED!! Maureen told me that their meals pretty much "sucked".

http://www.mudmarine.net/files/forming_day.htm

If anyone has trouble with this link, let me know.

VPMM Joanne

Quote Originally Posted by maureensmom
    Maria My daugher just completed MCT at Camp Geiger. BTW - she said that those 3 weeks were worse than Boot at PI! But, she got through it! She was able to receive letters from me, but they did not have time to write back. I did not hear from her once. She did take her cell phone with her, though it was confiscated at the start, she did get it back on Libery Sunday right before Graduation.

Well MCT is physically harder than boot camp.....But the mental factor isn't there like it is in boot camp... It is very stressfull, especially because you go there expecting to have freedom, but are for the most part treated like a recruit....and sleep is deprived a lot, for the most part we would hit the rack anywhere between 2-3 hrs after we were scheduled to....it was mostly our instructors just playing games with us.. Wow, we were allowed to keep our cell phones during MCT, but were only able to use them on sunday when we were on libo... We were also allowed electronics like Ipods and PSP's....

Last edited by jinelson; 05-29-06 at 12:22 AM.

Registered User Free Member micah24's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Teg0
    Well MCT is physically harder than boot camp.....

You can't be serious.

obviously I don't believe that either. I received a phone call the first sunday David was at MCT. I've written him about seven letters, but I can't find the strength to mail them. I'm too scared of making him worried about me because some really crazy stuff happened that involves where I live... and possibly having to move our wedding date up to ASAP instead of January. I think that MCT is being a little more mentally challenging for David than Boot. I got a total of 10 mins to speak to him which was great. He said that they had cellphones out in the middle of the woods that they were allowed to use temporarily or something.. Either way, I was really happy to hear from him. He said that he and the others were suffering from severe separation anxiety. I didn't shed a tear from him being gone until I got that call. I can't wait to be able to see him again. The first weekend he's at MOS school I'm going to take a drive down to see him. Hopefully I can find my ID by then. It got lost in the move. I think my roommate might have tried to steal it, thinking she can get on base, not realizing she doesn't have a decal. :: sigh :: Oh well. I guess I'll get to talk to David again this Sunday. I'll have to try to recap everything to him then and find out his decision on what to do. I'm positive I made the right decision, I just want him to understand. I'm probably confusing everyone. I'm going to go to bed.

Ok here's an update----

"MCT is like the crucible.. every day. All we had to eat were MREs. It was so mentally stressful. Everyone's first few days were spent enduring separation anxiety from being yanked away from home again."

David came back from Camp Geiger and went to Corry Station in Pensacola...

at MOS school he gets liberty every weekend he's not on duty or secured from bad room inspections (which means you need to stay CLEAN). He's only been secured once, which is ok b/c that means I can come and visit him nearly every-every other weekend (as often as my wallet permits) He got a bump up from 2631 to 2651 and he's loving it. I LOVE IT too lol! It's great also because he lives so close to his grandparents, who really need him right now. He has time now to really get to know others and make a lot of new and interesting friends. I get to talk to him all the time. Planning the wedding is SO much easier, (still ridiculously stressful).

Oh yeah, obviously, the Marines at Corry Station are all involved in extra curricular activities.. like volleyball teams and bowling teams.. It's really nice to know that.

The date is set for January 6th, 2007 (wedding date). I can't wait.

What MOS school is like for those intel boys in Pensacola:
    Wake up EARLY, PT, chow, Class, chow, Class, probably mandatory study after class unless you're a smarty-pants like David ^_^, then go home, CLEAN (if you know what's good for you), and STUDY (another thing that's VERY necessary to keeping your job), watch tv, play x-box, call home, call friends, go out, eat, do whatever, .... etc. Doesn't seem too bad to me. Probably different for most of the rest of the Corps, but hey, I figured since I had so many quetions, I'd bring this back up and share what I've learned at least.

Much Love!

Thanks for the update, keep me posted. Once he's earned his 2651, he's eligible to join our Yahoo group from 2600s, we have a few 51s on there (mostly from the 1980s but at least one that served more recently).

Talking A little off subject

I saw that Korling said he was a linguist. I've already taken the DLAB and my recruiter said that I'll be able to learn any of the languages according to my score. Do you think that I'll have to take it again in boot camp? Also, when do you think I might find out what language I will be learing? I also had a few other questions about life in the fleet as a linguist, if it is not too much trouble. Is it like a normal 9-5 job, or is it more like shiftwork and you might have to work nights or something like that? I was also wondering about how fast/slow promotions are as a Marine linguist.

Thanks,
    Poolee Burnside

I forgot one question. What kind of opportunities do you have to take college classes while in the fleet?

Thanks

I went through MCT at Camp Pendleton in 02 and we got Sundays. Usually. You should be able to visit him then. There is a beach nearby and you can grill there, so it's not that bad. He should get weekends off at his MOS school.

Thread Information