MCT & MOS School
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

MCT & MOS School

Do new Marines get liberty very often at MCT? How much contact can be made between them and their families during MCT? During MOS school, can you have visitors? How often do you have time to call home from school? I heard that during MCT you are back for maybe a few days and then go back to the field for the rest of it and you won't get to call home until right before graduation. I'm just curious. Thanks.

-Maria

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    Do new Marines get liberty very often at MCT? How much contact can be made between them and their families during MCT? During MOS school, can you have visitors? How often do you have time to call home from school? I heard that during MCT you are back for maybe a few days and then go back to the field for the rest of it and you won't get to call home until right before graduation. I'm just curious. Thanks.

-Maria
    Depends on when you go to MCT, if your the company thats tries to squeeze in a class shortly before christmas - no, you wont get any liberty. Otherwise you get 2 weekends of liberty from start to finish.

Every MOS school is a bit different, mine allowed visitors.. but you had to sign in with a duty - etc.. The school itself was much like a 6-5 job, after your done learning, your free to go on liberty (given it isint motivating Marine Corps thursday, when alot of us field day) weekends were also off.

He's at MCT right now, will be done in appx three weeks. His MOS school is the ELINT school in Pensacola, FL. I'm hoping he gets as much liberty as possible. I'd like to be able to visit him as much as possible. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What's ELINT, DB?

My best friend's brother in law, Matt Baldwin (I apologize, Marines, that I don't know his rank...forgive me) is a helicopter flight instructor and I know he's stationed in Pensacola.

Now I really ought to e-mail my best friend's mom. Someone cybersmack my hand with a splintered ruler. Bad reporter, not having the facts straight!

Anyway, David's already at MCT ... wowza. Time sure is flying!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ELINT- Acronym for Electronic Intelligence.

he only gets libo on sunday and he can't leave base...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Im not sure how its done at Camp Gieger but, will back Born Invinsible up on Camp Pendleton. MCT only gets libo on Sundays and it base libo only. Marines in SOI get shore libo and make their PX runs at 52 Area on anyday but Sunday due to MCT only having Sundays to go there. The pic below is the 52 Area PX on a Sunday the Marine in civies is most likely in SOI.

I was actually under the impression, before posting, that he would maybe have ONE DAY to contact home the whole time from being in the field day in and day out. Someone else told me that Sundays were going to still be out in the field and that liberty would be VERY rare.

As for MOS school, is he allowed to have a laptop and such other things?Does it depend on the school? Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I just want to know. We finally set a date for the wedding--and I wanna make sure that we can keep in contact as much as possible. I want to be able to visit him at MOS school... if at least once or twice a month.. his Grandparents live in Navarre which is about 15 mins outside of Pensacola. They love me I had to work hard for them to get to know me though, but they've offered an open door policy on their home to me. lol.

Quillhill, if you're ever in that area when I'm there, we should hang out! Time really is flying by. It's difficult to deal with, David being gone, but the fact that I'm busy a lot helps tons.

I wish that someone here went to that same MOS school in the past to speak from experience. All the information given to me has been great and very helpful. Keep it comin'!

Thanks!!!!! <3

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    DB, I e-mailed my best friend's mom last night and asked after Matt and Becky. Those two have been together forever, all through high school, college and beyond. They graduated from high school in 1992. Matt's an officer in the Corps - makes sense since he's a chopper pilot. Thanks for reminding me to ask after them. Good people, those two.

You know, a vacation Florida later this year doesn't sound like a bad idea. I've never been there. ELINT MOS school must be many months long. If he's going to be there in the fall, that's probably when our next trip will be...October maybe. Send me your e-mail in a PM.

And I suspect you won't really know how things are going to work while he's at MOS until he's been there a week or two.

If all goes well, he should be leaving MOS school towards the end of November, if not he'll be ther a little longer, but he'll be there through the fall. I will be sure to give you my email addy in a sec! I have no idea how things are going to work while he's in Pensacola, but that's why I've been posting Pensacola is great btw, I've been there several times. The Boardwalk was pretty much destroyed though during the last hurricane season. A lot has been rebuilt. It's not a very fast-paced beach like Miami or Cocoa or Daytona, but its still really nice. I'm so excited!

<3

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    If all goes well, he should be leaving MOS school towards the end of November, if not he'll be ther a little longer, but he'll be there through the fall. I will be sure to give you my email addy in a sec! I have no idea how things are going to work while he's in Pensacola, but that's why I've been posting Pensacola is great btw, I've been there several times. The Boardwalk was pretty much destroyed though during the last hurricane season. A lot has been rebuilt. It's not a very fast-paced beach like Miami or Cocoa or Daytona, but its still really nice. I'm so excited!

<3
    I'm sorry for this and not to start trouble, but Daytona is far from fast paced. I'm from DB and it's only hectic during "tourist" seasons (NASCAR races, bike week, spring break). I do agree though, Pensacola is very nice. Hope everything goes well for you and your Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was stationed on Camp Geiger for 13 months back before there was an MCT, just ITS (before it was called SOI) and the only ones that had to go were the grunts. I remember that we gave the Motor T students "Cinderella liberty". They would sign out and get a liberty pass and would have to have it turned back in to the Duty NCO before midnight. There were a limited number of passes so it was first come-first served. I remember the "baby grunts" having base liberty during the week and shore liberty only on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    ...The pic below is the 52 Area PX on a Sunday the Marine in civies is most likely in SOI.
    Correction the whole school is SOI but that Marine is most likely in ITB

I thought that SOI was only for infantry, and MCT was for everyone else.... ???

Liberty at MOS School

If he is a 26xx type, he should get plenty of liberty at Pensacola. I had many friends who went through Corry Station there for SIGINT (manual Morse) and they tell me they got liberty. I was at the language school in Monterey and apart from field days and occassional duty, it was like going to college with PT every morning. Once school got out in the afternoon you were usually free to do whatever until the next morning. Same can be said when I went to Goodfellow AFB after language school (it took nearly 2 years to complete my MOS training as most linguists take a year of language and then go to Goodfellow for Cryptolinguist training for several more months).

Thread Information