Book List(s) for Marines & Poolee's
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Marzyn's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Book List(s) for Marines & Poolee's

I've just been wondering if anyone has some good books that they'd recommend reading. I read quite a lot and I've got about 15 books here I'd recommend ya'll read, especially #1 for poolee's

1) Making The Corps - Thomas E. Ricks

2) Small Wars Manual - Marines

3) Fields of Fire - James Webb

4) The Art of War - Sun Tzu

5) Thriving on Chaos - Tom Peters

6) On Guerilla Warfare - Mao Tse-Tsung

7) August 1914 - Solzhenitsyn

8) Peloponnesion War - Thucydides

9) War and Peace - Tolstoy

10) Bright and Shining Lie - Neil Sheehan

11) How We Won the War - General Giap

12) Rise and Fall of Great Powers - Paul Kennedy

13) The General - C.S. Forester

14) The Masks of War - Carl Builder

Now, anyone that was in the Marines in the 90's probably recognizes this list, books 2-14 were/are mandatory reading, certain books for certain ranks. Even so, I'd recommend reading them all. It's good stuff

Joe

p.s. "Code Zero" I've heard is a good book, I don't know the author because I've never read it myself but I plan on getting it

Post any other books you recommend and we'll see if we can get a good thing going as far as books to read.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    -"Into the Crucible" is pretty good

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Marines in Space, yes, but Marines despite the Name Change

"Marine!: The Life of Chesty Puller" and "Marine Sniper" are both excellent books detailing the lifes of two outstanding Marines - Chesty Puller and Carlos Hathcock.

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    wow everyone. Or maybe just Poolees since this book mainly goes for us.

Keeping Faith by John Schaeffer, Frank Schaeffer

If you dont read any other book read that one.

Red face

The entire Series on "The Corps" books 1-8 Written by W.E.B.Griffin.James Webb went on to be SecNav also wrote"Something to die for"Your not lean,mean and a fighting machine if you haven't read either of the Biographies on "Chesty"Puller.The "Thin Red Line"or "Battle Cry"by James Jones comes to mind aa well as "Platoon"by Dale Dye.Last but not least,lets not forget that Lt.L.B.Puller jr.wrote a Pulitzer prize winning novel "Fortunate Son" Semper Fi!!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    If you're about to join or considering joining the Marines the #1 book is a definite "must read" on my list

Making The Corps - Thomas E. Ricks

excellent writer & all around good book

I've read a lot on Sgt. Hathcock also. I must say I'm a bit obsessed with becoming a sniper lol I go groundhog hunting on a neighbors farm with either my .308, 30/06, 12 gauge or .22 & sit about ~100-400 (depending on weapon) yards away from where I know a groundhog hole is & just sit there teaching myself to keep still & ignore bugs etc. i've bagged quite a few groundhogs too silly maybe, but hey every little bit helps

Joe

Hey Marzyn? It is GUNNERY SERGEANT HATHCOCK. NOT Sgt.

Marines do NOT shorten every "Sgt." rank to just "Sgt." might fly in the army or air force, but not here

Originally posted by BGMFH
    Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Marines in Space, yes, but Marines despite the Name Change

a great book for learining about brotherhood, and resposibility, and duty. even if it is a work of fiction. did a college paper on the possible social ramifications of actually living by the rules suggested in this book

Credits
    Savings
    sorry jedi, for the sake of time (i had to leave for bowling and was running a bit late) i shortened Gunnery Sergeant to Sgt.

forgive me =[

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Wink

I Have three years before I can go off to boot camp. What are thing that I can do to prepair myself for those 11 weeks and the rest of my career in the Marines?

P.s. I am going into infantry

Credits
    Savings
    Why post that here lol

start a new thread with that question, or look around at previous threads bud

but my answer would be, run run run run run, do pullups till you're blue in the face, get into the best physical shape you can possibly get into and the rest there's pretty much no possible way you can prepare for, the mental challenges etc

Semper Fi
    joe

Marzyn, Marzyn, your D.I. is gona love You

Originally posted by Marzyn
    sorry jedi, for the sake of time (i had to leave for bowling and was running a bit late) i shortened Gunnery Sergeant to Sgt.

forgive me =[
    here's a book for you to also read.. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ranks4dummies.jpg‎
Views:	248
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	3743  

Credits
    Savings
    Uh yea, perhaps I should have shortened it to Gunny Hathcock, and if I hadn't been in a rush, I might have remembered to do that, however, I said "Sgt." and due to this oh-so-nasty mistake, I OBVIOUSLY don't know the ranks! Thanks so much Sparrow, I just ordered the book off Amazon, I truely appreciate your snide remarks and sarcastic posts amidst my legitimite attempts to help/be helped. Really, I do.

Good LORd Kid! Cook was just being funny! you need to lighten up a bit. and at the risk of sounding mean let me clue you in on something. You are gonna be in a hurry for a LONG time if you make it into the Corps, and that will then be NO excuse for taking shortcuts.

Don't mean that as a put down or anything, just a fact of life.

Another thing to remember, never make excuses, just acknowledge the mistake, apologise, and try not to make the smae one twice. No one in the Corps is ever interested in excuses, just actions and personal responsibility.

Thread Information