MCT & MOS School - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Bradley,

Can't attest to whether you will have to take DLAB in boot camp or not (my entire platoon did the first week there.)
    As to finding out language, I found out towards the end of boot camp. Promotions for the most part are rapid as linguists often tend to get out after there first enlistment and they are always in short supply (although once you hit E-6 it may slow down).
    As for day-to-day, it all depends on (a) your duty assignment and (b) your language. If you go to a Radio Battalion, your day-to-day in garrison is training (M-F days) until you deploy. Deployments can be whole unit down to small teams attached to MEUs. On deployments/detachments your schedule would depend on where and what you were doing. My annual detachment to the Korean DMZ we worked a 9-2-4 rotation, you worked 9 days in the mountains at an outsite, 2 days back at HQ base pulling duty and then got a 96 (4 day) liberty. If you go to a Marine Support Battalion Co. (Now Marine Cryptologic Support Bn), again it will depend on where and what you are doing but that is usually shift work, like 6 days, then 2 days off, 6 eves then 2 days off, then 6 mids then 2 days off etc. Sometimes you go to Port Starboard watches where you are on 12 and off 12. There you might be sitting a desk or a live pos (again, it all depends).
    At the Support Bns, you will have more of an opportunity for college than at the Radio Bns as you are less likely to deploy from there (although, if you are a language they need and are short bodies at a Radio Bn, they will draw augmentees out of the Support Bns). I know a few who got a few classes in at Radio Bns, but those were people who got a billet (a desk job in the SCIF or something like that where they didn't deploy for a year).
    I did my college after I got out and the language school alone was a huge help (it equated to something like 20 credit hours towards my AA so I got that in 3 semesters and it also counted toward the foriegn language requirements for my BA so I didn't have to waste credit hours/time/money on taking those classes!) I have since added an MA as well, so I wouldn't worry much about getting college (I did have a Korling buddy who stayed in for his 20 years and retired recently. He did find time to complete an MA while he was on Active Duty so it is possible)

Thank you very much!! All of the information was very helpful, and the part about your buddy going career and also getting his master's was very reassuring since a career is one of the possibilities that I'm leaning toward the most. Again, it was very enlightening, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fiasco1371
    I went through MCT at Camp Pendleton in 02 and we got Sundays. Usually. You should be able to visit him then. There is a beach nearby and you can grill there, so it's not that bad. He should get weekends off at his MOS school.
    We've already established that. At MCT, he had only two days that he could call, and one day of libo that was really just for px call.

MOS school, as long as you do well on room inspections and don't have mandatory study or duty, you'll get your weekends pretty much free. I visit David almost if not every other weekend or MORE. 5.5 hour drives from Alabama to florida end up being PRETTY fast for me now b/c I get to see my sweetie. I think he may be the only single Marine at correy station that has a visitor that often. Pretty funny though, b/c my car decal (b/c my father was Army) is blue b/c all of them at Redstone Aresenal are (where I am) the Marines on gate duty were asking if I was an officer. Just something interesting. Anyway, I don't know why David didn't get to take the DLAB, does anyone know why he wouldn't have? Is it a test you have to ask for?
    -Maria

how long is MCT?

I heard 3 weeks,can any marines clarify?

i heard 14 days.

MCT is around 21 days......and its for new Marines not going into the infantry field....thats what i was told..

Thread Information