This is what losing 80 pounds looks like - ALL FAT BODIES COME IN HERE! - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If I get a membership with the local gym, like I'm planning on(with the money I'll be saving from quitting smoking), then I'll have access to all the equipment I need. On top of that, they have the rubber/foamy type track(like highschools do)supposedly, which will save my knees, which is the only real reason I won't run everyday(320lbs. impactings for 2+miles on concrete/asphalt=Barely able to walk the next day)

Quote Originally Posted by jimrod83
    If I get a membership with the local gym, like I'm planning on(with the money I'll be saving from quitting smoking), then I'll have access to all the equipment I need. On top of that, they have the rubber/foamy type track(like highschools do)supposedly, which will save my knees, which is the only real reason I won't run everyday(320lbs. impactings for 2+miles on concrete/asphalt=Barely able to walk the next day)
    i hear you, i started running when i weighed 322, but the trick is if you can't run than get your cardio another way. I used to go play pick up games of b-ball from 10pm till 2am 4 nights a week. It was good cardio and lots of fun so it kept me going for long periods of time. Also because my knees couldnt take the weight i did alot of eliptical work because an eliptical allows you to do the same type of movement as running just alot more smoothly and with little to no impact on your knees. And of course there is allways biking. But whatever the case may be just get that cardio in 4 to 5 days a week.

Oh and definatley quit smoking. I was smoking about a pack every 2 days and that was definatey the first thing to go. No hate to the smokers out there but when you've got to do the level of cardio necessary to loose this amount of weight smoking just isnt an option.

You sound like you've been thinking this through so just keep it up and stay focused and I'm sure you'll be allright. Just remember to put it all out there and give it your best, no cheating or quitting. Remember you can't fool yourself when it comes to effort so as long as you know you pushed yourself to the breaking point you will do fine.

Credits
    Savings
    I walked/jogged somewhere around a mile tonight, followed by abs. Interestingly enough, besides my knee that was already sore from a long day, it was down near my ankles that got really tight tonight. And yes, I stretched beforehand. I might try and find a stationery bike, at a yard sale or something, because I can bike for hours(Have, in the past, even), but that still leaves the problem of not having a pull-up bar, etc.(which is half the reason I want to get a gym membership, is because most gyms nowadays have that assist system, for when you can't actually pull your own weight, etc.)

The pain by your ankle, was it in your shins or actually on your ankle?

If it was your shins than you probably got some shin splints, that happens when you're overweight and you do alot of bouncing and pounding on your legs. If it was your ankle then i'd recomend some tighter shoes or an ankle wrap just because your joints (just like muscles) have to become used to movements. Also if you're not alergic to shell fish (like i am) you might want to take some glucosamine or fish oil. It's really good for joint support and lubrication.

You also don't have to buy a stationary bike, it would be cheaper and probably alot more entertaining (which will keep you on it alot longer) to get a real bike and start going on bike rides. Plus that will acclimate you to doing PT outside. And as far as pull up bars just go to a monkey bar set at a park and do semi-seated pull ups like on the Stew Smith page. http://www.mili tary.com/NewContent/...033004,00.html
    And of course the pull downs and push ups. Because I've noticed the assisted pull up machine at my job isn't all that great and it doesn;t really feel like I get what i want from it. All in all it's just better to find a real bar and start hanging from it. I still can't do pull ups so i do back excercises and flexed arm hangs and even a few negative pull ups all night just to build the muscle group. I'm pretty close to getting 1 pull up thanks to that and the weight loss.

Credits
    Savings
    no, it's not in my shins, it's in the muscle up past my achilles. I keep my ankles semi-rigid, especially when running on concrete, but it takes it's toll is how far I can go with any speed.

no, it's not in my shins, it's in the muscle up past my achilles. I keep my ankles semi-rigid, especially when running on concrete, but it takes it's toll is how far I can go with any speed.
    it's in your lower calf then. I say you do some calf stretches, by pulling your toes up towards your shin.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm telling you boys go walk. It don't sound like much but it does more than you think. It realy helps steady your metabolism. Go 2 or 3 miles, just do what you can, then keep working on more miles. You burn over 700 calories going 3 miles. Cardio does help with running even though I still can't run worth a damn and do the Daily 16 stretches everyday.

I'm like you guys, I was 300lbs when I started. I was at a little over 280 last time I checked about 3 weeks ago. Remeber don't go by the scales because your going to put on muscle mass for good while.

Yeah you just gotta find the excercise that gets you started. For biggness it was walking and for me it was basketball. After that it gets easier and easier as time goes by. But it will take time. A year ago i was 322+ and now Im at 239 running at least a mile and a half 4-5 days a week and going to the gym for 2 to 3 hours a night for at least 4 days a week. It's been a little bit easier for me because I work front desk over night (10pm-7am) at a 24 hour fitness so i have unlimited access to gym equipment, but you can do it. If you want it and you stay moto.

And of course you have to watch what you eat. All the work outs in the world wont help you if you still eat the wrong foods and you don't control your postion sizes.

What I did was just get off my a** and go to the gym. I started lifting weights and running, my running really sucked at first because I was still smoking then. Eventually my run got better and better, now I can bust out a mile and a half pretty easy, now I'm just trying to get it under 13:30. I took some advice from one of Accord's posts where he mentioned lifting max weight with low reps and it's helped burn alot of fat and build muscle mass. But don't let building mass be your main concern because like alot of Marines have said in threads like this, that you're not going to need alot of muscle in Boot. The main goal should only be losing weight and striving towards that perfect IST and/or PFT. Since I started working out reguarly in January I've gone from about 240 to 213 and I'm still trying to drop as much weight as I can before I enlist. But my biggest problem has been my running, because I've never been a good runner and I'm trying to get past a mile and a half without killing myself. And pull ups, I have definetly never been good at those and have been trying to build up the muscle groups I need to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by fraser
    i lost 70lbs and i also have the same problem
    Another thing I find odd is that he blacks out the face...I think if I just lost 80 pounds in five months I would proudly show my face. The skin tone is different as well. Sorry to say this but I think this is a fake.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CantWaitToSign
    Another thing I find odd is that he blacks out the face...I think if I just lost 80 pounds in five months I would proudly show my face. The skin tone is different as well. Sorry to say this but I think this is a fake.
    Trust me......................THAT'S him!

Credits
    Savings
    Well then, I guess I'll start walking miles, as opposed to trying to jog. That's not much of a problem for me, it's the speed that kills me(I used to walk 2-3 miles a day, just to get to work and back). I know it makes me sound stupid, but what are the daily 16 stretches?

Credits
    Savings
    Well then, I guess I'll start walking miles, as opposed to trying to jog. That's not much of a problem for me, it's the speed that kills me(I used to walk 2-3 miles a day, just to get to work and back). I know it makes me sound stupid, but what are the daily 16 stretches?
    Still gotta run though. Run mon, wed, friday. and walk tue, thur, sat. or something. Some people overlook that we will have to hump 15 miles or more in bootcamp. Look up the USMC daily 16.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, I'll look em up.

b. Dynamic Stretching Exercises
    (1) Upper Back Stretch. Starting position is standing with feet shoulder width apart. Extend the arms and clasp
    the hands in front of the chest. Push the arms forward rounding the shoulders and upper back. Hold the position for
    10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the upper back.
    (2) Chest Stretch. Starting position is standing with feet shoulder width apart. Clasp hands together behind the
    lower back, palms up. Pull the arms up toward the head. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The
    stretch should be felt in the front of the chest and shoulders.
    (3) Modified Hurdler Stretch. Starting position is in the sitting position. Extend the left leg out while tucking
    the right leg in front of the hips with the knee pointing outward. Bend the torso forward toward the left knee. The
    stretching should be felt over the back of the left thigh. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally.
    Switch sides and repeat.
    (4) Hip and Back Stretch. Starting position is in the sitting position. Extend the right leg straight out and cross
    the left leg over the right leg by bending the left knee and placing the left foot on the ground next to the right knee.
    Turn the upper torso to the left pushing the left knee to the right with the right elbow. Hold the position for 10
    seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the lower back and left hip. Switch sides and repeat.
    (5) Groin Stretch. Starting position is in the sitting position with both knees bent and the bottoms of the feet
    together. Grasp the feet and gently push the knees with the elbows toward the ground. Hold the position for 10
    seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the inside of both thighs.
    (6) Calf Stretch. Starting position is standing with arms at the sides. Place the left foot approximately 2 feet
    forward and slightly bend the right knee. Lean forward toward the left foot pointing the left toes up to the sky. Hold
    the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. Grabbing the left foot and gently pulling it towards you can
    increase the level of intensity. The stretch should be felt over the left calf. Switch sides and repeat.
    (7) Iliotibial Band (ITB) Stretch. Starting position is standing with arms at the sides. Place the left foot behind
    and a few inches to the right of the right foot. Bring the left arm over the head. Place your body weight on the left
    leg and bend at the waist to the right. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be
    felt over the left hip. Switch sides and repeat.
    (8) Hamstring Stretch. Starting position is lying down with the back flat against the ground. Bring the left
    knee toward the chest grasping the left leg just below the knee. Gently straighten the left knee and hold for the
    count. The right leg should remain on the ground. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The
    stretch should be felt on the back of the left thigh. Switch sides and repeat.
    (9) Neck Stretch. Starting position is standing with feet shoulder width apart. Move both arms behind the back
    and grasp the left wrist with the right hand. Tilt the head to the right and pull the left arm to the right. Hold the
    position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the left shoulder and left side of the
    neck. Switch sides and repeat.
    (10) Triceps Stretch. Starting position is standing, arms at the sides. Bend the left elbow and bring the left arm
    up and back placing the left hand between the shoulder blades. Gently pull the left elbow with the right hand behind
    the head. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the back of the upper
    arm. Switch sides and repeat.
    (11) Quadriceps Stretch. Starting position is lying down on the left side. Bend the left hip and knee to 90
    degrees. Grasp the right ankle with the right hand and pull the right knee straight back. Do not hyperextend the
    lower back. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the front of the
    right thigh. Switch sides and repeat.
    (12) Lying Down ITB Stretch. Starting position is lying down on the ground. Bring the left leg with the knee
    straight across the body. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the
    left hip. Switch sides and repeat.
    (13) Posterior Shoulder Stretch. Starting position is standing with feet shoulder width apart, arms at the sides.
    Bend the left elbow and bring the left arm across the chest. Give a gentle pull with the right hand. Hold the position
    for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the posterior left shoulder. Switch sides and
    repeat.
    (14) Hip Flexor Stretch. Starting position is standing, hands on hips. Step the left foot forward 3 to 4 feet.
    Place the right knee on the ground. Gently move the left knee forward. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath
    naturally. The stretch should be felt over the front of the right thigh and hip. Switch sides and repeat.
    (15) Single-Leg Lower Back Stretch. Starting position is lying with the back flat against the ground. Bring the
    right knee toward the chest grasping the right knee. Gently pull the knee tight into the chest. The left leg should
    remain on the ground. Hold the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt along the
    lower back to the right buttock. Switch sides and repeat.
    (16) Prone Abdominal Stretch. Starting position is lying on the stomach with the hands placed near the
    shoulders as if in the down position of a pushup. Slowly raise the upper body, keeping the waist on the ground. Hold
    the position for 10 seconds and breath naturally. The stretch should be felt over the abdomen.

Thread Information