This is what losing 80 pounds looks like - ALL FAT BODIES COME IN HERE! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Good work, Accord. Very inspirational. Great body but you're still goin' to have to do something with that face. LOL
    Keep up the good work. I'm sure that this weight loss meant a whole lifestyle change that wasn't easy. You apparently have chosen a path for yourself that will reap benefits beyond your immediate comprehension. One step at a time. Go get 'em.

Thumbs up Spectacular

That, Accord, is one hell of a transformation.
    NOTHING can stop you on your journey to the United States Marine Corps, NOTHING.
    Keep up the inspirational and motivational work.

There have been several weight loss threads recently, so i'm bumping this up.

And here is specific information on how I did it:

I went on a hardcore weight loss diet consisting of all clean foods and very little carbs at the beginning... egg whites, lot's of veggies, cottage cheese, beans, salads, whey protein powder, flax seed oil, etc. and I ate 5 meals per day. About every month I had to change up my diet and substitute foods to prevent myself from hitting a plateau. Some of the foods are nasty and tough to eat day in and day out, so I used 'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray' on almost everything I ate. My diet was nothing special, I merely followed the 10 calories for every 1 pound you weigh rule and 1.5g of protein for every 1 pound you weigh rule. If you're 280 pounds and you want to lose weight, then you should be taking in 2,800 calories per day, every 10 pounds that you lose you should adjust your calories accordingly. Protein is a big factor because if you're not taking in enough protein you'll lose a lot of lean body mass. I used the glycemic index and chose my foods wisely and picked the foods with the the lowest GI, then just broke it up into 5 daily meals and I was good to go and consistently lost fat every week. I highly recommend doing a google search for the "Glycemic Index" and choosing the foods on your diet based on those with the lowest GI rating.

I did weight training 3x a week on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and I did intense cardio on Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday with Saturday being an off day. My weight training routine basically consisted of just your standard legs/chest/arms/back/etc. 3 day split routine. Muscle is one of the best fat burners out there, the more muscle you have the more fat you'll burn and the higher your metabolic rate will be. It's also important to lift heavy (none of this ***** low weight high reps sh/t, that won't build muscle) so you can keep as much LBM as possible and don't end up looking like a twig with bags of loose skin when you do in fact lose all the weight you need to lose. Tons of people who end up losing a lot of weight end up going from big and fat to skinny and fat, lifting heavy from the beginning will prevent this. Do not worry about gaining weight by weight lifting, because you won't, gaining weight by lifting is entirely dependant on your diet and your calories, to gain weight you need to have a surplus of calories and that just won't happen on a weight loss diet. You'll get stronger and you'll get leaner by lifting weights, but you WON'T get bigger or heavier, so don't worry about that. I cannot stress how important weight lifting is!

For cardio I did HIIT on the eliptical machine Tuesdays and Thursdays with a long run usually 3+ miles on Sundays, mind you I wasn't physically capable of doing this when I first started. HIIT is high intensity interval training, it's basically where you'll go balls out for 1 minute, rest for 1 minute, etc. and do this for 30 minutes. Your metabolic rate will be in overdrive after a good session of HIIT. When I FIRST started I wasn't able to do HIIT and I wasn't able to even run at all, so at the beginning I started doing 20 minutes of just straight cardio on the eliptical machine at the gym at a good pace eventually working my way up to 30 minutes which took a few weeks. After about 1 month is when I started doing HIIT on the eliptical machine and I started at 15 minutes of doing 30 seconds fast, 1 minute slow and then worked my way up to 30 minutes of 1 minute fast and 30 seconds slow which was very intense. When I started doing HIIT I was finally able to run half a mile so every Sunday I would run half a mile and just keep pushing myself, after a few weeks of running half a mile I was eventually able to run 3/4 of a mile, and then one day I just pushed myself to 1 mile which was a huge moral victory for me and a big mental barrier that I finally crossed because never in my life have I ever ran 1 mile, in gym class during those mile runs I was such a fat piece of crap that it took me the entire 1 hour class just to walk the mile, so actually running 1 mile for the first time felt amazing for me. I kept doing my HIIT on Tuesdays and Thursdays and on Sunday I would run 1 mile, I eventually worked my way up to 1.5 miles, 2 miles, 2.5 miles, and 3 miles which was my ultimate goal because that is the distance I have to run for the PFT. Once I was able to run 3 miles, I then began focusing on getting my time down, I went from 3 miles in 34 minutes to 3 miles in 19:45. A few days ago I was doing speed work and ran 1 mile in 5:30, never in a million years did I think I would be able to run a sub-6 minute mile, let alone a 5:30 mile. Also last night I did a situp test and got 101 situps in 2 minutes, for the past few weeks I was hovering from the low to mid 90's, a few months ago I was just barely in the low 70's, and now last night i'm at 101.

A complete weight loss program needs ALL of the three elements to work and work well: 1) Diet, 2) Weight training, 3) Cardio. If you're only doing 2 of these 3 things, your program will not work, you must have all 3 elements.

If you've been the same weight for several weeks, then you're doing something seriously wrong. Most people can do the necessary cardio and weight lifting without any problems, but their diets are all f/cked up and that's why they don't see results, and I can almost guarantee that anytime someone plateau's or stops losing weight, it's their DIET! I already mentioned it, but it's so important that it's worth repeating: The most common weight loss myth is to eat less and that is simply not true. You need to keep your metabolism going in overdrive around the clock 24/7, you need to be following the 10 calorie per pound of bodyweight method I posted above and then split those calories up into 5 or 6 meals throughout the day so you're basically eating every 3 hours.

You NEED to be lifting weights, and i'm not talking about doing 50 bicep curls. You need to be hitting the large and major muscle groups and you need to be lifting heavy. There are no if's, and's, or but's about it, you must be lifting weights right now or your progress will be stale.

There is no reason in the world why you won't be able to achieve the same results as me. If I can do it, then anyone with a little bit of willpower and motivation should be able to do it as well.

Good luck and if you have any questions I will be glad to answer them.

And while i'm at it, here is another "after" picture of me taken about 2 weeks ago in Washington, D.C. at the World War 2 memorial, as you can see, the difference between my "before" picture and now is extremely dramatic:

Anyways, congratulations. You can do anything you put your mind to. Don't let anyone tell you it can not be done.

Last edited by jinelson; 10-14-06 at 01:13 PM.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats, again, Accord. I am very impressed and I agree completely, diet is crucial.

I have one question, though. It says in your profile that you were supposed to ship 20060822. Am I reading this wrong? If you've posted this elsewhere, I apologize. I'm just curious when you're leaving. It appears as though you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by quillhill
    Congrats, again, Accord. I am very impressed and I agree completely, diet is crucial.

I have one question, though. It says in your profile that you were supposed to ship 20060822. Am I reading this wrong? If you've posted this elsewhere, I apologize. I'm just curious when you're leaving. It appears as though you are good to go.
    I changed my contract to UZ, so my ship date changed. I just haven't updated my profile yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildars
    Why did you blur your face out?

Anyways, congratulations. You can do anything you put your mind to. Don't let anyone tell you it can not be done.
    Because I posted this on other websites that aren't exactly as close knit as Leatherneck.com, so I don't want my face all over the internet.

OUTSTANDING ACCORD

Amazing change and Very motivating! UZ..what would that be?

Awsome job bud Im not trying to rain on your parade either but I know exactly what you have gone through.. I used to weigh 290 and am now down to 215. Lost it all in about 6 months .. Should be leaving for PI sometime this month.

Quote Originally Posted by GriT
    OUTSTANDING ACCORD

Amazing change and Very motivating! UZ..what would that be?
    Infantry with the recon indoc option.

Quote Originally Posted by Poskew
    Awsome job bud Im not trying to rain on your parade either but I know exactly what you have gone through.. I used to weigh 290 and am now down to 215. Lost it all in about 6 months .. Should be leaving for PI sometime this month.
    Great job.

Pullups are my enemy and have slowed down my trip to PI. Just not good at them but am doing everything to get them up. I will get to PI sometime soon.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    DAMMMMMMn accord, thats some amazing shiat youve accomplished. GREAT work.

ps- Poskew, dont even worry about how many pullups you can do at the moment; instead, just focus on goin all out every tme you hit that pullup bar- Ive noticed that when Im PT'ng, whether it be pullups or something else, it really screws my set up if i set a goal for the set, count up to it, and prepare to drop everything the second i hit the goal- Instead, I set a goal, count the first few, and when I am about four to three reps away from the goal im reaching for, i stop counting, forget about the goal, and just go nuts- by goin nuts I meen just doin it until i ABSOLUTELY cant do another rep... by doing that, youve counted up to around the last few reps, and during that time, while you are aware of what number your on, you are able to keep doing that "Cmon, one more...ok, one more....alright cmon another, you can do this.." thing........ doing this gets you through the beggining and middle of the excersise, leaving the rest of your mind free for that "All out" part at the end, when you just forget about it all and reach for the sky. This may sound weird to you, but trust me- as weird as i thought i was, and as much as i thought my plan wouldnt help me get stronger....it DOES work- earlier this year, about 3 months ago, I coulkd only do about 4 pullups MAX- right now, by usin the method i use, i am up to 13 pullups, and can do 2 to 3 more sets of 11 pullups right after the max set, waiting only 2 minutes between. So, whatever you choose as your method, just remember to GO NUTS at the end of your set.

My guess is that it is because many people don't want to put identifying information on the internet, which is a wise idea.

John, dude, HOLY CRAP.

Seriously, why not post this on GPN? How can you sit there and listen to those nasty fat bodies insult you when you went from #1 to #2?????

Thread Information