This is what losing 80 pounds looks like - ALL FAT BODIES COME IN HERE! - Page 14
Create Post
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thanks Sgt, ive been running for the past month and there is a drastic change. First time I ran around the circle (almost exactly .4miles) I thought i was about to die now i can run around it about 5 or 6 times fairly easy, but the hill sucks bad cause one side is all down the other is all up haha. but usually i can do one lap in about 3min flat last night i pushed my self and busted a 2:30. I still have a long way to go, cant wait for this Arkansas humidity to go away and for the early fall to come a long!

first this isn't the Army, I'm not Sarge... I'm a SSgt.

Second... if you really want to improve your run time, you should sprint for as long as you can until you feel like you're going to quit running all together... then maintain a moderate pace until you catch your breath again... then do it all over again... it's really fun, and I can promise you pain and misery.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry SSgt, I didnt see your rank ensignia i just remembered your name my fault! but yeah that has been what i have been doing some what ill try to go hard for a mile but them hills really get to burning so on the circle ill usually run for about 6 minutes then kinda do a nice cool down jog/walk to help with my breathing havent ran in 4 years since highschool. But after running them 5 laps last night i was a little winded but in a minute or 2 i felt like i could go for another lap or 2

never drop to a walk... it'll cramp you up.

on those hills... you should lean forward as much as you can without falling on your face and damn near lift your knees to your chest.. this will speed your climb and build thigh muscle that you'll need. On the way down I would recommend you keep you knees bent 'cause if you lock them, you break them... and land on the balls of your feet going down.. there's too much shock if you hit with your heel.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks again SSgt, yeah after the 5 laps my knee was a little sore, that could be it now i think about it when going down the hill i would land on my heel, and I need a new pair of go fasters mine are about worn out. But I will put these tips into effect tonight, Thanks so much sometimes I also get to where im exhausted and want to slow down and walk when im going up the hill, but I just think of some Marine stuff that mottos me. So far I know for the IST I could pass the Crunches the other day i did 50 in 1 minute so im sure i could crank off another 30 in the last minute, but im gonna get to where I get 100, and I ran a mile half in about 12 minutes the other day. Only thing is pull ups, few years ago I was up to 15 and now after being in hibernation for a few years im down to like 3. But im going to keep motto to do some everday usually when I leave for work, when I get home and before PT. Thanks tho for the advice SSgt!

this motivates me even more to join, soon as high school is done USMC here i come!

Hello Marines. I am new to the boards and i don't mean to bring up a month old topic but i don't want to start a brand new one when i can most likely get my answer here.

I would like to know if you who lost a ton of weight to get into the Marine Corps also had to drop blood pressure? And if you did, was it done strictly by running and working out or did you do something specific to target that? I am 5'7 203 right now so i do not need to drop a ton of weight but my blood pressure is very high. I am not on any medication for it and never have been. Has anyone else had this problem prior to enlisting and if you did, how did you get it down? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BfieldBravest View Post
    Hello Marines. I am new to the boards and i don't mean to bring up a month old topic but i don't want to start a brand new one when i can most likely get my answer here.

I would like to know if you who lost a ton of weight to get into the Marine Corps also had to drop blood pressure? And if you did, was it done strictly by running and working out or did you do something specific to target that? I am 5'7 203 right now so i do not need to drop a ton of weight but my blood pressure is very high. I am not on any medication for it and never have been. Has anyone else had this problem prior to enlisting and if you did, how did you get it down? Thanks
    Had a family history. I was borderline hypertensive myself. That stopped when I cut weight prior to boot.

When it comes to your heart... see a doctor. See a cardiologist if you have to. You'll get screened at MEPS and they'll give you a couple of tries when they take your vitals.

If you have a heart problem or family history you'd better do everything you can now to find out. Cutting weight and adjusting your diet can help.

Answer all that: family history? weight history? level of physical activity? chronic illnesses? IV drug use? all the good stuff.

Keep that trash private; talk to a doctor about it.

Thank you for the speedy reply

That is bloody amazing mate, very motivating indeed because I'm a tad overweight myself. Great job mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    Little Update For Me:

I have gone down to 5'8'', 152 pounds. I have a 20:48 3-mile run (timed yesterday), 7 pull-ups, and 75 crunches. My body fat has also gone down from 19.3% to 13.1%. However, I still need to do better on my pull-ups to meet my goal
    Another Update:

I am down to 140 pounds (from 181), with 12.1% body fat. I do not want to lose anymore weight, just gain more muscle and do better on the PFT. I did a whole PFT for myself yesterday

3 Mile Run- 19:21
    Pull Ups- 15
    Sit Ups- 83

In addition, I did a short 10 mile hike last week with a 40 pound ALICE ruck, just to see how I would do. Got a little tired haha

Nevermind, wrong topic

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

The Steak

I always went for the steak, but never seen it like that....

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Nevermore

Quote Originally Posted by lthunder View Post
    I always went for the steak, but never seen it like that....
    It's the steak that kills...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I know the man who originally posted this topic has long since answered the call and become a Marine (and is probably long gone from this section of the forum, if not the forum entirely), but I'd like to thank him for posting this topic.

I was at 200 pounds last June and hit 175 sometime between then and now. With two months to Boot (I ship on the 18th of May and am working on getting my status changed from Friend to Poolee), I feel more than confident about the work I have to do on my strength and speed to meet (and exceed) the physical requirements.

Again, thank you, sir.

Thread Information