Open Contract Help
Create Post

Question Open Contract Help

Hey all, I have a quick question. When I signed up I didnt know yet what I wanted to do so my recruiter says that I will go in as an open contract and then as soon as I decide I can tell him and it will be good to go. So my question is did he lie to me and did I get screwed over? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim06
    Hey all, I have a quick question. When I signed up I didnt know yet what I wanted to do so my recruiter says that I will go in as an open contract and then as soon as I decide I can tell him and it will be good to go. So my question is did he lie to me and did I get screwed over? Thanks.
    My advice is to go to your recruiter and sit down and pick an MOS as soon as possible. That means right now. Not next week. It is very important as far as I am concerned unless you want to be a grunt. Then go open contract or just pick 0311.

heh actually I WANT to be a grunt but he told me that it is very hard to get into infantry right now because there are so many people going into it?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once you're in the Marines you are infantry---what you actually do to pass the time is secondary.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Jim06,

To be very blunt fix your profile so we know who you are, these are the rules. The second thing just because you are open contract doesn't mean that you will be infantry. You say that you want to be a Marine then don't worry about what it is you will have as an MOS. Do not burden your recruiter with these details now you didn't know what you wanted to do when you depped then don't worry about it now. Your recruiter sounds to me that he/she has done what you wanted to do. Live with it now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Open contract isn't a bad thing - I was open contract and ended up in Ordnance and I LOVED all 4 years of it.

alright well thanks guys, I appreaciate your input and advice.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Jim,
    It is very common for a person to DEP open and later choose their program and have it put on them. Whenever I have a young man or woman, that is unsure of the program that he or she wants, then I will DEP them open and give them time and information to help them come to a decision. Sounds like that is what your recruiter did. You need to sit down with him and figure out what you want though, cause the longer you wait, the less programs that are available. First come, first served.

Credits
    Savings
    Be careful, I posted this someplace, not sure where, but I knew a Marine that went open contract, he got waste management. He gets to clean out the port-o-jons for a living! How exciting, everyday a new experience!!!

I did open contract too, got 2673 Cryptologic Korean Linguist so don't listen to the Open = 0311 garbage. Earn the title and all other things will work out.

Credits
    Savings
    I agree (Korling), I also went open contract and got in the Aviation Field MOS: 6046 Maint Admin, bottom line is if you go open contract you will end up where the Corps needs you. Which really does not matter the most important thing is that you earn the title MARINE, DEVEL DOG, TEUFELSHUNDE!!!!. The rest will work itself out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Amen!

I am a former Recruiter. I hve seen this problem before. For example i had a young man walk in my office and tell me he wanted to join the Marines but if he didn't get a guarantee for computers he would not go. At the time I didn't know how smart he was. For that matter I didn't if he would qualify as a bad example. But I remember telling him to get out of my office. Of course this got his attention. Then I told him the following. The first thing you have to decide is ask yourself "Do I Really, Deep Down Want To Be A Marine?". Because if you don't answer yes to this question first it wont matter what job you get you are going to be one upset puppy when you make it to Boot Camp. I know this might sound like I'm trying to mess you up. Look at it this way. You may not want to be a cook. But if that's what you get that's hard enough. Some of the guards at the brig did not really love the job. But they loved being a Marine. I did a number of things over the years that were not exactly what I wanted. But I will always love being a Marine. I hope this info helps. "SemperFi"

This thread is almost 9 years old. I dont know if he ever made it.

Thread Information