Prior service Army, does CAB transfer to CAR? Want to go Marine officer.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prior service Army, does CAB transfer to CAR? Want to go Marine officer.

Hey guys I was a soldier (PsyOp) deployed to the horn Panjwai assigned to an infantry company from 2012-13. I patrolled with them the whole time and was engaged by small arms fire many times returning fire (have helmet cam **** but I dont have the original submission paperwork for the CAB). After coming home I went to Uni and am a month away from graduating. I was thinking about going Marine officer but was wondering if my CAB will transfer into a CAR? I tried to do some digging before coming here and saw this.

(6) FOR PERSONNEL WHO PREVIOUSLY EARNED THE CAB OR CAM AS MEMBERS OF THE U.S. ARMY OR U.S. AIR FORCE;
    (A) MARINES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO WEAR THE CAR IN PLACE OF THE CAB OR CAM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    (B) COMMANDING OFFICERS OF U.S. NAVY PERSONNEL MAY SUBMIT A PERSONAL AWARD RECOMMENDATION (OPNAV FORM 1650/3) TO CNO FOR CONSIDERATION OF AUTHORIZATION TO WEAR THE CAR IN PLACE OF THE PREVIOUSLY AWARDED CAB OR CAM. A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE EVENTS THAT LED TO THE AWARD OF THE CAB OR CAM MUST BE INCLUDED IN THE SUMMARY OF ACTION, AND OFFICIAL MILITARY DOCUMENTATION OF THE ORIGINAL CAB OR CAM APPROVAL MUST BE INCLUDED.

So does this really read that a CAB will never turn into a CAR even though it was awarded for engaging the enemy in direct action? Thanks in advance guys

Similar Threads:

What part of "Marines are not authorized to the wear the CAR in place of the CAB or CAM under ANY circumstances" don't you understand? Paragraph (6) (B) does not apply since it refers to Navy personnel. You'll have to have better reading comprehension skills than that if you really want to become an officer.

**** me for double checking right? I'm curious if anyone has confirmed this since order and regs change all the time. Anyways looking forward to someone chiming in with experience instead of blowing wind like this bag

Well this still shows as current and there is no mention of a CAB:

MCO P1020.34G, dated 31 Mar 03, Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, paragraph 5100, item 5;

5. The Combat Infantryman's Badge or the Combat Medical Badge is not

authorized for wear on the Marine Corps uniform. Upon submission of evidence to their commanding officer, personnel who earned the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge may be authorized to wear the Combat Action Ribbon.

SECNAVINST 1650.1H, dated 22 Aug 2006, Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual does not mention CAB either.
    Page 2-34,
    (d) Current DON personnel who were formerly in
    the U.S. Army and earned the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge, upon submission of official military documentation to their commanding officer, may be authorized to

wear the CR.

Anymore questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Anymore questions?
    ROFL..

From a bag of wind like you, Naw I'm good boot. I've been in touch with a recruiter and he says you should but we all know that doesn't mean ****. So unless we got an administrative marine or something to chime in and give a definitive answer I'll keep digging. My good buddy who was 0311 before going army with me ended up as the unit administrator and said he's pretty sure a CAR can turn into a CAB but once that memos done it can not go back from CAB to CAR.

Hey vman Where'd you find that stuff, I'd like to browse through it myself. Thanks for those though

I'd tone down the attitude... but anyhow, I would never put too much stock in what someone from admin has to say unless they show you exactly what they are working off of.

FWIW a CAR does not transalte to a CIB or CAB from what I've heard. You also don't rate a combat patch after having deployed with Marines. I never got a CAR, but I know as I'm going over to the army now that I won't rate a combat patch.

Mike

Yeah from what I know a CAR will go to a CAB but I'm not sure about to CIB or CMB. It seems like a CMB or a CIB will go to CAR but a CAB will not. Still want to know for sure what's the most current order on this subject, I'm not sure if the one I linked is still valid. Ol tough guy top seems to think so but I want to read it or hear it from an authority. Technically you won't rate a combat patch but my old unit was a third marines and they all wore them and no one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by cohumi View Post
    Yeah from what I know a CAR will go to a CAB but I'm not sure about to CIB or CMB. It seems like a CMB or a CIB will go to CAR but a CAB will not. Still want to know for sure what's the most current order on this subject, I'm not sure if the one I linked is still valid. Ol tough guy top seems to think so but I want to read it or hear it from an authority. Technically you won't rate a combat patch but my old unit was a third marines and they all wore them and no one cared.
    FYI around here always use a Cap when spelling Marine..

A capital letter triggers you? Thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind. This threads run its course, thanks for the useful responses vman and Mike. I'll see myself out before I hurt anyone else's feels.

If your unit let Marines who then became Soldiers to wear a combat patch from their time in the Marine Corps, then that is weak leadership for not enforcing the regulations.
    I got the regulations that are listed above from the Marines.mil website. I have over 22 years of experience working in S1, Administration.

I think that can go both ways. I have friends who's command let prior service wear a combat patch. It wasn't a lack of enforcement, they explicitly said they could. That said, that is discretion they may not have.

This forum has its idiosyncrasies, but I think since you are coming from the Army side to Marine Corps, you are going to learn our branch is run in a little more cult like a manner.

Mike

Thread Information