Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Good luck Couto ! Keep yer head down.

Thank you very much!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Mike,
    Good luck to you.
    I see, by your profile, that you are right up the road from my digs (Miramar). Keeping your head down is excellent advice. I wish you well and may your journey be as fulfilling as you envision it to be.
    Take care.
    Gary

Just to add my input also. I was an Avionics guy on 46's. Like the top said. It is an MOS you can sign up for now, but if you can't pass the swim quals etc. then you have to fall back on just the Mech MOS. An avi, airframs, and we had a chaplain become aerial observers. The marine's and navy chaplain went through all of the quals to earn there air crew wings. They fire the 50 cal and everything. They still keep there regular MOS, but when they become air crew qualed. It will give your squadron more men/woman to use as air crew. Since at times you can really start to run out of them, When over half of your aircraft are flying that day and night, and air crew are only allowed to have no more than 12 hr days (only the CO can grant an hour extension on that 12).

I have a question I think I didnt qualify for this mos because my gt was 105 and you need a 110 to get it in your contract. If I sign as a aviation mech. can I at a later time transfer to this mos without retaking my asvab?

I was the first female crew chief on Hueys, 6174. Graduated crew chief school in Sept, 1996. I went in gauranteed Aviation Support in 1995, at my A school was given the opportunity to qualify for AirCrew School... didn't know that I was the first. Passed my quals and went to Pensacola. Went to Crew Chief school at HMT 303, Camp Pendleton. There were 3 females in my class. One became pregnant, one was recycled, and I graduated honor grad. I was stationed with HMLA 169. The WM who was recycled followed me there 6 weeks later after repeating the class. I had a double whammy... schooled CC with no mechanic experience and the first female in flightline. Needless to say I was not well received. I survived 3 years and got out. The other stayed in and went on to become a crew chief instructor then went back to 169 where she served in Iraq. She died in a routine NVG training hop 2 months after returning to Camp Pendleton. I hear there are many of us out there, now.

To answer your question... yes, you can sign up to be a cc without time as a mechanic. When I got out in 1999, they still were creating homegrowns, but not many as crew chief is it's own MOS and the slots are filled mostly by those coming from the school.

Hows it going DealConrad...Thank you for the reply but i'm actually in Pensacola right now at Aircrew School...

I get my platform assigned to me in 2 weeks, Hoping for either 53's or C130's....

There is nothing lik OJT. You learn early on what to do. I was OJT on heavy mortars ( 4.2in , 107MM). Later on we started getting kids trained at FT. Seal, Ok. (sp) they knew the book and that was all.

Outstanding DealConrad !! Congrats on your accomplishments. You have updated this ole Marine and I hearby stand corrected. Thanks for your service and continued good health. Semper Fi........

PooleeCouto, if you are still a poolee, is there a good reason why you have a pfc chevron for your avatar? You need to correct yourself because you aren't a Marine yet. It better be a baldheadad kid in the pushup position in its place next time you reply to a post.

as you were, I saw your profile. You need to fix your screen name devil. you really wanna be known as poolee when you're a Marine???

Quote Originally Posted by Echo5November
    as you were, I saw your profile. You need to fix your screen name devil. you really wanna be known as poolee when you're a Marine???
    Absolutely not...

I have tryed to open a new account here but it wont allow it... I have also pmed and emailed the forum admins... just waiting on a responce...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pfc Couto welcome back Marine. I have requested upgrade to Marine for you. I expected to hear from you some time back were you hiding from me bro? lmao Please contact Shaffer by PM to see if your user name can be changed.

Semper Fi

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Pfc Couto welcome back Marine. I have requested upgrade to Marine for you. I expected to hear from you some time back were you hiding from me bro? lmao Please contact Shaffer by PM to see if your user name can be changed.

Semper Fi

Jim
    Howdy....

PFC Couto Here....

thank you guys so much for the help... Sorry i never replyed to you, But when i first wrote i was on Boot Leave... and went to MCT right after that...

Crew Chief MOS

I'm not sure that I would really qualify to "tell" anyone here anything but I will relate the way it went for my son who is a brand new “boot” CH-46 crew chief, awaiting orders to his first squadron.

The first thing that needs to be determined is “what” you qualify for. This will be determined by a combination of your education prior to enlistment and your ASVAB scores.

When my son enlisted he was told there were 2 aviation "slots" available from this area.
    Looking over his form 1130-003, Enlistment Incentive Programs Statement of Understanding, the “Program Code” is AG. The Program Description is Air Crew / Flight Mechanic / Navigator. The MOS options are 6100 / 6200 / 7300. If after processing through MEPS, you still qualify for your agreed upon program, it’s off to MCRD you go. After basic training, and if you still qualify, you go to MCT. Upon completion of MCT if you still have no changes to your MOS, then you will most likely be sent to NAS Pensacola and assigned to MATSG to await assignment to a school. If you have qualified for air crew, your first school will be NACCS. Upon successful completion of NACCS, you will find out which platforms have slots open and be assigned accordingly. If you get a air crew slot, you will next go to SERE school. Upon successful completion of SERE, you move through the A and C schools for your bird.

Anywhere along the line if you either fail a qualification or otherwise disqualify yourself, you will be assigned per the (famous) “needs of the Corps“. In most likelihood, if you do not stay in the air crew program, you will most likely go to an aviation maintenance MOS.

That’s the way it went for one young Marine. However the best thing you can count on is that “nothing in the US Marines is ever a 100% guarantee”. A whole lot depends on YOU. IMHO just becoming a Marine is an accomplishment not everyone can do, but any one who makes it can be proud of.
    Best of luck.

Semper Fi

Ham

Thread Information