Crew Chief - MOS? - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    OK. So I am asking for advice. I graduated from Naccs 2 weeks ago and leave for SERE tomorrow. I got orders for 53s to my surprise and i was very happy with it. My med records say fixed wing only tho. Should i just try and slip though the cracks and hope i can get outa flight school so the vision requirements arent so strict or tell somebody? i just dont wanna get screwed and be told im a mechanic now after i get outa mech school or something.

Since im posting here and fresh outa naccs ill answer any questions people have about the school. Hueys are pretty backed up right now and people havent gotten orders for them in a long time. most people are getting v22s. Naccs exploded when i got here and there was 200+ marines on hold. I was on backlog pt for 2 months then got put on med hold for hearing. Luckily i didnt get dropped for the additional 3 months i spent there doing nothing on med hold. learn your strokes and beable to tread water using the frog kick for 2 mins and beable to float for 9. the only tested stroke now is the breast stroke in the 8th swim qual. When you come here you will be put on barracks support for about 2-3months before youll classup for swim build and pt with the schoolhouse. I enjoyed the school alot and the pt is challenging but if your on pt backlog for awhile its easy in class. (do not get lazy if your put on med hold. i didnt pt hardly at all and paid the price when i got to class.) Don't tell medical if youve drank underage unless you absolutely have to. i got a couple friends that are waiting for psyc evals to see if they are alcoholics. One was proven to be a drunk and has to attend AA before he gos to class. Hope this was useful and if anyone has questions dont be afraid to ask. If anyone can answer my question it would be greatly appreciated.

Not trying to restart an old thread, but I greatly appreciate the info in these 10 pages. I received word on my AG contract a few weeks ago. Thank you very much Marines!

Such a great amount of information in this thread, thank you very much everybody who've contributed. I'm interested in getting some more details about Crew Chief so I'll be talking to my recruiter soon. However, I was wondering if this is the type of MOS that is really only suitable for those who have prior mechanic knowledge....I'm not very mechanical savvy. Thank you!

Good evening Marines/Poolee's:

Just wanted to point out that this thread was a tremendous help to me. I'm currently an 1141 (basic electrician) and the opportunity has risen for me to lat-move to 6173/74 in the Active Reserve side, at first I was hesitant but just from reading the information I can already tell this is my kind of MOS. Besides I have always been a UH-1 fan so to get to work on my dream platform would be amazing!

I'll keep everyone posted on the process as I go through it.

Please dismiss my out of date profile info, I'm in the process of getting a mod to update it, I'm actually a LCpl as of 20100303.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Don't mean to revive an old thread but theres a ton of good info in here.

Also, are those vision requirements with or without glasses?

I have somewhere around 20/100 vision uncorrected, but have 20/20 with glasses. Also, are there any crew chiefs on here that are still active on the forums? If you don't mind I'd love to pm you and grill you for info.

Thanks a lot Marines,

Poolee Buhler

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have searched the internet and gotten face-time with several enlisted Marines, and this is the best Marine Crew Chief resource that seems to be in existence. A huge thanks to all who contributed, and I hope to catch some of you in the fleet.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    from onux16:

"@devilpup, get that info updated!

@Buhler, I'm about seven months late in writing this, but as far as I know, you're vision is good to go. Update your info, too.

@Ascendo, not sure if you enlisted yet, but this job does not require prior mechanical knowledge. The Corps will teach you everything you need to know. Afterall, must you have prior experience dropping explosive shells in a tube to become a mortarman?

@Topgun, when I was a poolee and signed the AG contract, I had no clue what aircrew was. The only information I could find was the MOS section of About.com. That didn't cut it. So I, along with the help of many other aircrew Marines, have helped update this thread over the years to make it what it is today. I speak for all of us when I say that we are glad the information has helped all of you, and I'm sure it will continue doing so. Stay motivated, keep your eye on the goal, and graduate boot camp first!

Semper Fi.
    --Sgt Mahon"

Quote Originally Posted by topgun305 View Post
    from onux16:

"@devilpup, get that info updated!

@Buhler, I'm about seven months late in writing this, but as far as I know, you're vision is good to go. Update your info, too.

@Ascendo, not sure if you enlisted yet, but this job does not require prior mechanical knowledge. The Corps will teach you everything you need to know. Afterall, must you have prior experience dropping explosive shells in a tube to become a mortarman?

@Topgun, when I was a poolee and signed the AG contract, I had no clue what aircrew was. The only information I could find was the MOS section of About.com. That didn't cut it. So I, along with the help of many other aircrew Marines, have helped update this thread over the years to make it what it is today. I speak for all of us when I say that we are glad the information has helped all of you, and I'm sure it will continue doing so. Stay motivated, keep your eye on the goal, and graduate boot camp first!

Semper Fi.
    --Sgt Mahon"

Sgt Mahon....
    Most Marines aren't allowed to post here in the poolee forum. Only Admin & Mods can do so.
    Please DO NOT use a poolees account for posting privileges here in the poolee forum.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It actually is my account, the Sgt Pm'ed me to post that. Least I could do after all that info he gave.

I moved this topic from the poolee forum to the Ask A Marine forum.
    If any Marine would like to continue updating this topic, they can.

crew chief ch-53d, original mos 6100. modified to 6119 (hmht-204 for 3 months then hmh-461)

Thread Information