Crew Chief - MOS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Crew Chief - MOS?

I might be losing me mind, but I'm sure I replied to a question today from a poolee writing that his recruiter said he could sign up for a Crew Chief MOS. Maybe so, today, but that isn’t how it used to work.

Going in, I was guaranteed an Aviation MOS. That was all.

I was a 6211, I believe, which was Helicopter, Reciprocal, Mechanic.

Anyway, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that being a Crew Chief came with time served as a mech. I'm not sure, but quite possibly some tin-benders, twigets and grease rags went on to be Crew Chiefs. If not, they were all fine gunners.

As it was, in 34's and 46's, there was a PIC and SIC, along with a Gunner, who rotated, as did the Pilots. The Helicopter was deemed the property of the Crew Chief, and he flew it on every mission.

The pilots were in command while in the air, BUT, when on the ground, the 'authority' turned to the Crew Chief.

If you get a chance, google Mike Clausen, the only Marine Crew Chief in Viet Nam to receive the CMOH. Read his citation. Mike did his thing while the pilots sat, and only then did the helicopter take off.

The recruiter can guarantee you a AG contract which is Enlisted Aircrew, all the jobs in that contract are crew chiefs and the C-130 loadmaster. If you get that contract you go to Aircrew school after MCT then to mech school then to a squadron to qualify. If a mech wants the be a crew chief they have to do a lat move as it is now considered a totally different job. I originally had a mechanic contract becasue I thought you had to be a mechanic first in order to be a crew chief. Thankfully I found out that it has changed or else I would have been stuck doing something I dont like.

Last edited by jinelson; 05-01-06 at 12:21 AM.

Credits
    Savings

OK JimmyK, OR SOMEBODY, tell me about Crew Chiefs for Helicopters.

I wanted to be an MP but there were no more spots, My second choice was AG, Just signed the contract today...

Basically the Program code is AG, and program discription says "Aircrew/Flight Mechanic/ Navigator".... "6100-Aviation Maintenance rotary wing, 6200-Aircraft maintenance Fixed wing, 7300-Enlisted Flight crews"

My recruiter says that CrewChief falls under 6100

You also have to get atleast a CW2 in boot...

I go to PI in 3 weeks and even got a cool Bonus...

Credits
    Savings

Couto, good stuff - hang in there. Oh yeah, I got the PI thingy, but what is second choice was AG & at least a CW2 in boot?

Still looking for some Helicopter Crew Chief types to explain how it's done today.

I think this goes along with me in a way, from what I understand Recon wasn't something you could sign up for untill just recently. It was offered if you qualified for it. Now I think they're just offering it if you qualify for it now. I mean like what your ASVAB score was, police record, stuff like that, and if you don't qualify during Recruit Training you get something else along the lines of the needs of the Corps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeCouto

I go to PI in 3 weeks and even got a cool Bonus...

What is this bonus you speak of? Is it like a bonus for the MOS or a signing bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165

Couto, good stuff - hang in there. Oh yeah, I got the PI thingy, but what is second choice was AG & at least a CW2 in boot?

Still looking for some Helicopter Crew Chief types to explain how it's done today.

My second choice as in I would rather do another job but they had no openings....

And CW2 is the water survival, You have to qualify for 2nd class

Quote Originally Posted by Parker-0321
    I think this goes along with me in a way, from what I understand Recon wasn't something you could sign up for untill just recently. It was offered if you qualified for it. Now I think they're just offering it if you qualify for it now. I mean like what your ASVAB score was, police record, stuff like that, and if you don't qualify during Recruit Training you get something else along the lines of the needs of the Corps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong..

What is this bonus you speak of? Is it like a bonus for the MOS or a signing bonus?
    What your talking about is Recon, its signed up as a 03 MOS, ... Entirely different thing then Force Recon .. which is basically the Hardest Part of the Marine corps and nearly all of them are Disqualified for that before even starting training for it, its that hard.

Big Al....I think you're right on. You still have to have time in MOS to qualify for AC. I think some recruiter is blowing smoke at these poolees. No way is some turd from MechFund school gonna hop in the third seat without spinnin' a few wrenches. Semper Fi.........Bill

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crossram
    Big Al....I think you're right on. You still have to have time in MOS to qualify for AC. I think some recruiter is blowing smoke at these poolees. No way is some turd from MechFund school gonna hop in the third seat without spinnin' a few wrenches. Semper Fi.........Bill
    Bill - - I agree, and was just wondering, as I understand that there is now an MOS for Crew Chief.

I also can't see how you could jump to 3rd seat so quickly, since pretty basically, the aircraft, CH-46 in my case, was pretty much given to you.

Credits
    Savings

... and for those of you who are unlearned of the Helicopter and it's history in Viet Nam - goto - http://www.popasmoke.com/chronology.html

I'm not pushing the site off on anyone, but it's got the history of the helicopter, all done by folks who were there.

To settle this, yes, you can sign up for a crew chief MOS and get that after finishing MCT. The CH53D/E crew chief school is at HMT 302 in New River. These Marines graduate as a full fledged crew chief and start flying as soon as they report to their squadron. If I am not mistaken, you can't have "homegrown" C/C's anymore. I know that they did away with that program for a while but were thinking of bringing it back. Squadrons were having problems with school trained C/C's, as it required additional maintenance Marines to go on cross country flights, since the C/C have virtually no maintenance experience. I knew several of the Marines who were instructors at the school and they were giving "additional" training on fixing gripes. I know that at 302 we would get some of the new grads and they caught hell, since the school was also a part of the squadron and the "old timer's" would give the instructors a good ole fashioned a$$ chewing if one of the Marines was lacking in skills that all of us old Marines knew that a C/C should possess. And I hope that you know, Big Al, that we also have female C/C's now. And for the most part, they usually turn out to be top tier!

Credits
    Savings

Thanks for clearing this one up.

Yep, I heard that there were WM's as Crew Chief's.

I wonder if there are any on this site?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the sitrep Gunner........I'm now a believer. Semper Fi

We have the Mc Donalds Air and sea show this weekend, So for fleet week all the poolees went to the airport where the military aircrafts are to swear in...

I got to sit in a huey, and a Cobra as well as talk to just about Every Marine Crew Chief there... I cant wait to go to my MOS school

Thread Information