crunches need help in time for boot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

crunches need help in time for boot

ok so when i did my first pt session during dep we did the timed mile, the pull ups, and crunches and logged the offical scores etc... i ran in a little more than 10 minutes, did 3 pull ups, and brace yourselves.... ONLY 15-20 crunches.. i am soo dissappointed. but, i am 20 yrs old and i dont weightlift and in the 2 yrs since high school/gym class i havent done anything what so ever so my body just wore out or whatever u wana call it... what are some recommendations on how i can get my crunches up? since that time ive tried doing max # of crunches atleast 2-3 times a day but ive gotten lazy again lately and i ship out june 5th so i really have to kick it in. so any recommendations on how i can build myself up to get atleast 44? i heard abs r the easiest muscle to build up so hopefully ill be good to go... if i cant do 44 though when i have to at boot what will happen? i go to "fat camp" right? and will this delay my graduation? thanks for the help and i should prolly get a shield for all this hazing im going to be getting for my 15 crunches haha

your run time needs to come down.
    just run whenever you can, it only takes 15-30 minutes out of 16-18 hours your awake, if i have time to run 30 minutes a day, you do too.
    abs just keep at them. go to the gym. get a month pass. and do the incline abs with a 25 those will get them stronger

is it ok to run on a treadmill or should i run as if i were in boot like on pavement etc? im just curious if running on a treadmill is going to be just as good....

running on a treadmil doesnt do you any good. running outside is 20 times better.
    for example:
    for xmas break, i ran on the treadmill for 3 miles 25/30 days. my mile time didnt go up and my endurance didnt go up. i only maintained my weight. in the last 20 days of running outside from the great weather (ive been running inside on 1/10 mile track), with huge hills ive brought my 3 mile time from 26 miuntes down to 22 minutes. just from hitting that same route everyday that it doesnt rain. im looking for a new route now, thats about 3.5 - 4 miles, that ill hit till schools out. then find a nice one back home till schools out.
    its going to be hard but you can do it dude.
    all in all, ive went from 11 minute miles in

I personally think running on the treadmill is a bit easier because the belt is what keeps you going, its not all on your own strength. I like to run on the street, though admitingly I dont run as often as I should.

As for abs, they are very easy to build, I went from doing about 50 to 100 in about two months, all I did was work my abs with and without some weights usually only once a week.

As for pull ups google search the "Armstrong Pullup Program", it works great if you stay dedicated. I went from doing 8 or 9 pullups to 17 in about 6 weeks, which will help you since you leave so soon. (I believe you said June 5th?)

Just set some goals to acheive before you ship, and work your butt off to reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by hawks
    just from hitting that same route everyday that it doesnt rain.
    Don't tell me you're letting a little rain keep you inside.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All I can say to you guys is (and I'm sure you've heard your mothers say it before) PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. It will be better to push yourselves now than to wait until MCRD and have some DI on your a$$ pushing you. Look for the HARD way of doing it (running), meaning GET OFF THE TREADMILL - go outside, run in the rain cause if you think a little rain cloud will get you out of running in boot camp you're mistaken and you surely won't have that treadmill to run on.

Big Wayne - you said it yourself, you've gotten lazy - get out of that mode. And yes you're right, if you don't do as many crunches as you should for a PFT - you WILL get sent to PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon) but ONLY if the Corps doesn't think it will be a waste of money to do so. It will put you behind because you will not graduate with the platoon you started out with. In the PCP you will do NOTHING but what you're bad at until you get good at it.

Again, keep pushing yourself - it all comes from within. Good luck.

go to this site (http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm) this stuff will help big time just stick to it. dont skip workouts, very important.get in shape on your own time and not your DI's time. remember "PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVEING THE BODY" OOHRAH. Dont get sent to the "Pork Chop Platoon."

I'm not afraid to get wet by running in the rain. I'm afraid of my mom when she realizes I ran in the rain and took the dirt road to get home

I found a good way to own at crunches. From my 1st IST as a poolee to my second IST, it went from 48-104. I kid you not. My way is you laid on your back and lift your legs up and keep them at a 90 degree angle. then put your hand behind your head and do the crucnhes; make your elbows tounch your knee. Do about like 100-300 a day and in the real IST you will get about at least 100. But you have to run alot too and do ALOT of flutter kicks and mountain climbers so you will get use to it in recruit training.

Last edited by jinelson; 04-30-06 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Dude?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I've always found that running is great, builds up abs but more importantly - stamina. Yesterday I smashed my old record, I did 8.8 miles non-stop. Damn it felt good!

Quote Originally Posted by devildoghopeful
    Yeah, I've always found that running is great, builds up abs but more importantly - stamina. Yesterday I smashed my old record, I did 8.8 miles non-stop. Damn it felt good!
    good job. motivating.

Quote Originally Posted by kovanfleet
    go to this site (http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm) this stuff will help big time just stick to it. dont skip workouts, very important.get in shape on your own time and not your DI's time. remember "PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVEING THE BODY" OOHRAH. Dont get sent to the "Pork Chop Platoon."
    I based my program roughly on that program. It works wonders. Now I'm running 3.2 at 4500 feet in 17:15, did a 16 miler with my brother last Sunday. So ya, that program is the best.

You're going to kill in basic, Smalcom. Best of luck bro.

Credits
    Savings
    Try some half crunches. Those are easy and will really give you a work out. Instead of going all the way up 'til you touch your theighs, just go up a few inches and go back down. Keep your abs thight.

Thread Information