Pain
Create Post

Thread: Pain

Pain

I hope this is the right forum to post this in

So, here is my question....

I've always been in pretty good shape running cross country, track, and lifting but, recently I have gotten highly motivated and have started doing lots and lots of pull ups, push ups, and other stuff to prepare my self. I have started to have some small pain in my ellbows and as of last night a weak pain deep in my shoulder. has any one else gone through this? or should i slow down and build up more and maybe take a day off(prolly what I'll do)

Thanks,

Poolee Moman

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My non-expert advice would be to slow down a little, take frequent breaks and if the pain persists, a trip to the doctor or physiotherapist can't hurt.

Maybe you're not stretching enough before and after excersise or maybe just overworking your body. Like you said, this new exersise regime is a significant step up from the previous system and maybe you've jumped into it too fast. I'd say take it easy and maybe see a doctor if it doesn't improve.

Good luck

P.S. The exact same thing happened to me and it was because I hadn't stretched properly before and after.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, back it off just a wee bit. Going hard on PT is good, but you don't want to rip up your elbows or screw up your labrum or rotator cuff, which you could easily do. Since you haven't completely filled out your profile, I don't know when you ship. Are you going hard because you're shipping soon?

The more likely injury you could do to yourself through overuse would be to your shoulder. Mess up your shoulder and you delay your ship date. Or worse, it hangs on till recruit training, but then gets shredded two or three weeks in.

If you're still in high school, the school athletic program may have an athletic trainer who treats injured athletes. You could certainly pop in and ask that person really quickly what their thoughts may be. They may also give you tips on what to do to strengthen the areas that hurt and minimize the pain. You could also certainly make a trip to your family doctor and ask him if he has any thoughts.

Good luck, Poolee.

i ship june 26
    130+ cruches
    10+ pullups
    20- 3mi

how do i update my profile? i keep trying to but cant find out how

Maybe you need to streach before you start your work out. Secondly apart of working out, its needed that you rest or no improvements will be made

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mo
    i ship june 26
    130+ cruches
    10+ pullups
    20- 3mi

how do i update my profile? i keep trying to but cant find out how
    Aaaaha. That explains the push. Less than two months away.

To elaborate on Tallboot's post about resting, he is absolutely right, and from what I have learned through my efforts to get in shape, when you lift weight or do any work that builds muscle you will make little tears in your muscle. Then, during the next 48 hours, your muscles will repair themselves and create more muscle mass, thus making you stronger as well as giving your metabolism a boost. So, rest is good. Maybe give yourself two days off this time, then one day off a week after that. You do have enough time to build up incrementally, so maybe back off a little bit then build yourself up to where you want to be.

Good luck. I look forward to reading your updated profile.

Last edited by thedrifter; 05-01-06 at 06:57 PM.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Good job on the crunches and run time. Don't screw up your arms trying to bring those pullups higher.

You still got 7 weeks to work on in it. I'm a big fan of swimming. A hard swim routine maxed out my pullups.

Looks like the consensus is to rest. I'm not sure how much weight-lifting you are doing, but I would also caution poolees to make sure that you are using good form when you are lifting weights. I'm speaking from experience. Before I shipped to OCS, I strained my trapezius lat-pulling the entire stack at the gym. I had time to recover and could easily max out the pullups, but it wasn't worth it. If you have to, take the weight down, focus on your form, and focus on staying healthy before you ship.

Even if you only do 10 pullups during your IST at boot camp, you will improve by at least 5 pull ups while you are at boot camp. Some people improve more. You'll have plenty of time to focus on maxing everthing out when you are in the fleet winning all the meritorious promotion boards. However, in the months right before shipping, unless you are barely doing 3 pullups and have a 30 minute run time, I would focus on keeping the run time strong, the abs strong, and start to taper down any weight-lifting.

give yourself some time to recover.... so um... slow it down just a bit...

Thread Information