Possession of Marijuana Charge - OCS
Create Post

Question Possession of Marijuana Charge - OCS

I've been charged with Possession of Marijuana (POM), but the charges were dismissed with prejudice. I have completed a major at a four year college (ASU), don't have the best grades, but have maintained a solid 3.7 the last year pursuing my minor in philosophy. I have been denied by a recruiter in AZ from the Marine Corps 8th district i.e. I would not even be considered for a moral waiver for admission to OCS. I returned to my recruiter in Tempe in order to press for other options and he encouraged me to solicit another recruiter in 1 of the other 6 regions. Is there a certain region I should try first?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just go see another recruiter.....anywhere

However I think your chances today are what the recruiter in the 8th District said.....your chance for a waiver in the Marine Corps especially to be an officer are up in smoke!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WishtobeUSMC View Post
    I've been charged with Possession of Marijuana (POM), but the charges were dismissed with prejudice. I have completed a major at a four year college (ASU), don't have the best grades, but have maintained a solid 3.7 the last year pursuing my minor in philosophy. I have been denied by a recruiter in AZ from the Marine Corps 8th district i.e. I would not even be considered for a moral waiver for admission to OCS. I returned to my recruiter in Tempe in order to press for other options and he encouraged me to solicit another recruiter in 1 of the other 6 regions. Is there a certain region I should try first?
    who told you you wouldn't qualify for a waiver to OCS?...a recruiter or the OSO office?

If you are trying to get a seat at OCS talk to the OSO here not an enlisted recruiter. Waivers for candidates work a bit differently than enlisting. Getting a waiver for either or is going to be very hard but from my experience don't deal with a recruiter for OCS things and vice versa.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Just go see another recruiter.....anywhere

However I think your chances today are what the recruiter in the 8th District said.....your chance for a waiver in the Marine Corps especially to be an officer are up in smoke!
    X2

Go army.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    who told you you wouldn't qualify for a waiver to OCS?...a recruiter or the OSO office?

If you are trying to get a seat at OCS talk to the OSO here not an enlisted recruiter. Waivers for candidates work a bit differently than enlisting. Getting a waiver for either or is going to be very hard but from my experience don't deal with a recruiter for OCS things and vice versa.
    I can talk with someone officially here online? I was talking with an officer recruiter here in Phoenix. I am sure its going to be a lot of denial, but if there is a chance I'm willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

I can talk with someone officially here online? I was talking with an officer recruiter here in Phoenix. I am sure its going to be a lot of denial, but if there is a chance I'm willing to do what it takes to make it happen.
    There are no OSO's here on Leatherneck if that's what you mean.
    Go and talk with an OSO face to face.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I agree go talk to another OSO in a different district.

However I am still leaning towards the 8th Districts decision.

Waivers are hard for enlisted ranks with a prior laundry list medical ....legal.....education.

The standards for officers to have a career and go through OCS the selection standards are higher..

I am going by a gut feeling.....your past is your past.....however to make the Marine Corps your future....now days you have to be squeaky clean.

It doesn't hurt to try.....but regardless of branch that may except you the mission is joint to be accomplished.....some other branches are more apt to be flexible on the enlisted/officer standards.

I still say your chances with the Marines is up in smoke.

Good luck!

josephd
    Guest Free Member

hahaha no, when I said "here" I meant here in Phoenix, I live here also

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The keyword in this forum and post is Marine mentor.

Persistence is a good tool to get what one wants if used properly....

However in todays Marine Corps persistence is not the only virtue that one needs to get an enlisted billet/contract or an officer commission.

All the paths leading to an officer or enlisted career is paved with many things....requesting a moral waiver for a charge.....requesting a waiver for drugs and now the key word being prejudice is going to be a hard road to hoe.

The recruiters or OSO will take the information......but regardless of how persistent you are or are not.....the Marine Corps is not in a recruiting bind right now to take anyone with a history......

It has nothing to do with the way a person is today it has to do with the charge that was and is on record....

To use another example.....if a young man or woman gets in trouble for anything and gets time in the lockup......while in the lockup they find a copy of a Gideon Bible and get religion and get cured from the life of crime in the convicts mind from behind bars.

This is ALL well and good but it does not alleviate the fact that put the convict in the slammer to begin with.....

Same with moral waivers.....the Marine Corps is not taking them and the 8th District pretty much said that......and persistence will get you more chats and paperwork from recruiters or OSO's but it won't get you in the Marines in this day and age.

Sometimes what one does early in life has repercussions and can bite one in the azz in later years......

Deal with it and move on.....try another branch of service.

Thread Information