The Recon Ron Pullup Program - GUARANTEED to have you doing 20 pullups - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drillinstructor
    It was just trial and error using recruits as ginnie pigs. My platoon was always at the top when the final PFT came. They blew the other platoons away in the pull-ups which was a big advantage. With no exaggeration, at least 90 % of the recruits were at 20 at the final PFT and the others were close.
    Are you still a drill instructor at San Diego? Because if you are, I hope to God that you're mine.

What are your thoughs on this working for other exercises, such as the bench press. For example, if you can bench 225 six times, could you use this program and work yourself up to say 12 reps?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiverStyx
    What are your thoughs on this working for other exercises, such as the bench press. For example, if you can bench 225 six times, could you use this program and work yourself up to say 12 reps?
    Rules apply to you too. Fill out your profile then we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiverStyx
    Just stop lifting weights. You think in the Marines or any other service they're gonna, "Drop and give me a 12 rep bench of 200!"? Lifting weights (unless you properly train for pure strength) is going to add more muscle mass which is fine but you're going to be moving that extra mass up and down when you do pull ups, push ups, and sit ups, and carrying it when you try to run 3 miles. You're better off training for endurance by doing the exercises you know you will perform, or at least the ones you'll be tested on. You can search on the forums or on-line for training tips and whatnot. Stew Smith over at ************* has some good articles (http://www.*************/military-fi...orps-fitness/). Don't be afraid to try different things. I personally sometimes becomes obsessed with finding that one golden workout program (or whatever it is at the time) that is THE best and sure to not fail! Too bad nothing like that really exists in regards to anything. So don't be afraid to try different ways of doing things and try to be somewhat organized about it. It's easy to fall off the track if you don't keep organized.

And yes, you really should fill out your profile--it's part of the forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by drillinstructor
    I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program. . . but NO PUSHUPS.
    As far as preparing for boot camp, would you recommend training for push-ups since you aren't necessarilly tested on them? Or just maybe focus on them as a secondary? Thanks for any input.

Eh, I'm guessing you have to be a certain member/have enough posts to post URLs, but it's www[dot]military[dot]com/blahblahblah

I guess you see that the admin here didn't want you to post links so you decided you were above the rules. Goon initiative, poor judgement.

I disagree with telling someone to stop lifting weights. You need more than just the ability to do more than just pull ups unless you think the enemy is going to just want to do a pull up contest with you.

Sorry about the link post--tried to see if you could edit/delete posts but couldn't find a way. . .

I don't think it's a bad idea to lift weights but I wouldn't make it the focal point of training for boot camp. I just think you just don't want to add a lot of muscle mass if you're going more for endurance. You can do rep/set ranges that focus more on strength and endurance, but a bench press, while similar to a push up is still not a push up and just because you can bench press X-hundred pounds X times doesn't necessarilly equal a high pushup rep.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreBlanks
    Sorry about the link post--tried to see if you could edit/delete posts but couldn't find a way. . .

I don't think it's a bad idea to lift weights but I wouldn't make it the focal point of training for boot camp. I just think you just don't want to add a lot of muscle mass if you're going more for endurance. You can do rep/set ranges that focus more on strength and endurance, but a bench press, while similar to a push up is still not a push up and just because you can bench press X-hundred pounds X times doesn't necessarilly equal a high pushup rep.
    True- i've read this in several places. However, I agree with the Corporal. You might as well keep lifting weights- in addition to doing endurance activities. I don't see how more strength and muscle couldn't help. From what i've heard of boot camp, pulling a really heavy dummy to simulate a fallen comrade or manuvering someone on a strechter through an obstacle will require plently of strength.

Unless you're thinking about training for Mr. Olympia then spending time throwing iron around in the gym isn't going to hurt anything. At times I carried more mass than I would say is ideal, but I was never worried about meeting the PFT requirements as a result. If you're fit you're fit and you'll be fine.

There are things that I believe are BETTER than spending time throwing weights around in the gym. Crossfit is one of those things. Kettlebell training is another. Both build explosive power and flexibility, which are ALWAYS good things.

I am actually in the middle of Recon Ron and it's worked great for me. I'm currently on the 10, 8 , 6, 6, 6 week. I HIGHLY recommend this for anyone looking to up their pull ups since I was doing 7 max when I started and now I'm doing 14 max.

I don't want to seem like I'm hating on weight lifting. I used to lift a lot and loved it. I just wanted to emphasize that there are different set/rep ranges for what you are trying to achieve with weight lifting. If you do heavy-ass weight and go for 4 reps or below it's really more of a pure strength training. Lighter weight with reps in the 12-15+ range are going to build endurance. Between those two gives more hypertrophy results--which is what body builders use.

Body builders look strong--they aren't always the strongest guys. Do a YouTube search for "human flag". Then do a search for Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman (both bodybuilders). Totally different looks, results, and training. The human flag guy is probably stronger (per-size/weight/muscle mass) but that doesn't translate into doing a 300+ pound bench. Vice versa as well--just because you can bench 300+ doesn't mean you can hold yourself out on the poles for 35 seconds.

Echo_Four_Bravo mentioned CrossFit. You could check that out--any body weight exercises are good. Use sandbags. Lifting a fifty pound sandbag is a lot different than lifting a fifty pound plate or dumbbell (you wouldn't think so and neither did I but it is). Do a Google search for "old school training". That stuff will kick your butt. It's things like sandbag work, tractor tire flipping/sledgehammering, kettle bells, drags/pulls, etc. etc. That stuff is a lot cheaper than weights as well. A sandbag is 2.50 for a 50lb bag of sand from Home Depot and a pillow case with the opening duct taped. You can still do squats, deadlifts, cleans, presses, etc. etc. with those. If you choose to go that route stick to the big compound movements like the ones I just listed--you get more bang for your buck.

I have been doing drillinstructors pullup workout for the past 7 days and have seen incredible results. I have been doing it every other day to allow me to continue to lift with my recruiters and work on other things, but in the last 7 days my pullups have gone from 14 last monday, to 18 tonight. I actually went from 14 one workout to 17 the next. I guess I just broke through a wall or somthing, but whatever it was, the workout WORKS!

Thank you very much for posting it MSgt.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Recon Ron program was just not doing anything for me. I've actually been using drillinstructors's pullup program and its worked great for me. In about two weeks I went from 2 pullups to 6. I'm doing more pullups than some of the guys at my RSS. I dont leave for Boot Camp untill July 7th. So if I can do 6 pullups now imagine when I leave for Boot? I know I'm a female and I dont have to do pullups but, it's just great to outdo the guys. So thanks MSgt.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissStretch
    ...I'm doing more pullups than some of the guys at my RSS...I'm a female and I dont have to do pullups but, it's just great to outdo the guys....
    Wait until your surrounded by hardchargin young Marines Good job kid keep it up.

--->Dave

Thread Information