The Recon Ron Pullup Program - GUARANTEED to have you doing 20 pullups
Create Post
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

The Recon Ron Pullup Program - GUARANTEED to have you doing 20 pullups

The Armstrong Pullup Program is definitely more popular than the Recon Ron Pullup Program, however I have experienced VERY significant and very dramatic gains and improvements on the Recon Ron program, more than I ever did when I was doing the Armstrong pullup program.

I know it's been posted in the past, but the information is scattered about, so I thought I would make this thread. If you follow the Recon Ron program exactly, it doesn't matter if you're a fat body, you will be at 20 pullups within 5 months if you follow the program.

Here is a website with the chart you need to follow, print this out and stick it on your wall: http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

The website doesn't list the directions or specifically what you need to do however. At the top you'll notice it says WEEK 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. During each week you will perform 5 sets of the number of reps listed in the column, for example in week 1 you will do 6 reps on the first set, 5 on the second set, etc. You do this Monday through Saturday and on Sunday you take the day off and do nothing to allow yourself to recover from the previous week. Then you'll move on to week 2, however in MY personal experience I found that it moved a little too quickly, so I spent 2 weeks on week 1 before moving to week 2 where I spent another 2 weeks before moving on to week 3. If you're stuck on a certain week and you've been stuck there for more than 2 weeks without being able to improve to what's required on the next step, then take 5 days off and don't do a single pullup.

I hope everything above made sense. As a prerequisite to the program you must be able to do at least 6 pullups, but if you can't it should be fairly easy to get to that point on your own. I'm currently at 11 pullups right now and I don't think there is any way I would be at that point had it not been for the Recon Ron program.

If you have at least 5 months remaining in DEP, there is no excuse for not shipping to boot camp being able to do 20 pullups if you follow this program, and if you're already able to do more than what's required in the early weeks of the Recon Ron program you're already ahead of the game.

I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program.

Depending on the amount of pullups you do right now when u first get on the bar will be your start point.

Here is the start numbers and I will explain below.

1-5 (50)
    6-10 (75)
    11-15 (100)
    16-20 (150)

The number to the left is how many you can do right now and the number in parenthesis is the number of pull-ups you will do for the workout.

1. Jump on the bar and do a max set You will rest for 60 secs and during that rest do at least 25 crunches but NO PUSHUPS.

2. Keeping the number you finished with jump back up and do another max set. You will rest again for 60 secs and do your crunches. You continue to do MAX SET each time you get on the bar until you have reached the number in parenthesis.

Continue your sets no matter how many times you have to get on the bar. Even if you jump up and only do 1, oh well keep doing it.

If for some reason you can not even do 1 when you get on the bar, take longer rest but if you do this, you better double the workout because you suck.

Do this every other day for 1 month and then take 4 days off and start again.

YOU WILL HAVE GREAT GAINS IN PULLUPS BUT YOU MUST PUT IN THE WORK.

Semper Fi!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drillinstructor
    I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program.

Depending on the amount of pullups you do right now when u first get on the bar will be your start point.

1-5 (50)
    6-10 (75)
    11-15 (100)
    16-20 (150)

The number to the left is how many you can do right now and the number in parenthesis is the number of pull-ups you will do for the workout.

1. Jump on the bar and do a max set You will rest for 60 secs and during that rest do at least 25 crunches but NO PUSHUPS.

2. Keeping the number you finished with jump back up and do another max set. You will rest again for 60 secs and do your crunches. You continue to do MAX SET each time you get on the bar until you have reached the number in parenthesis.

Continue your sets no matter how many times you have to get on the bar. Even if you jump up and only do 1, oh well keep doing it.

If for some reason you can not even do 1 when you get on the bar, take longer rest but if you do this, you better double the workout because you suck.

Semper Fi!!!!
    I will definatley try this in 4 weeks when my shoulder heals. How long did it take you to figure out that this routine actually worked?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon1
    I will definatley try this in 4 weeks when my shoulder heals. How long did it take you to figure out that this routine actually worked?

It was just trial and error using recruits as ginnie pigs. My platoon was always at the top when the final PFT came. They blew the other platoons away in the pull-ups which was a big advantage. With no exaggeration, at least 90 % of the recruits were at 20 at the final PFT and the others were close.

Well now i'm more motivated than before to try your program

Thumbs up

1-5 (50)
    6-10 (75)
    11-15 (100)
    16-20 (150)

Semper Fi!!!!
    Yeah it sounds good... I can do 11 right at the moment and have 5 months to go so I'm going to give it a try, thanks!

Let me say that I started Recon Ron today and it seems challenging enough. At the end of the workout i wanted to see how many more i could do...let's just say it was one of the more embarassing things I did today.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBowman
    Yeah it sounds good... I can do 11 right at the moment and have 5 months to go so I'm going to give it a try, thanks!
    11 is half way there, after your first four weeks and you take that 4 day break, I am certain you will have to move to the (150) bracket for the next month. good luck.....

11 is half way there, after your first four weeks and you take that 4 day break, I am certain you will have to move to the (150) bracket for the next month. good luck.....
    Right now I'm happy with 11 though because when I DEP'ed in on December 6th I could only do one. But I got 9 more to go so its not that bad for only 5 months left til I ship out. But I'll definately be starting this today when I get home and try it out for the next month. And thanks again!

Andy, how did you get so many in 3 months? Just kept doing them? And I'll definitely be starting the drill instructor's program very soon. If I don't find it too effective I'll try Accord's. Thanks to both of you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFORG
    Andy, how did you get so many in 3 months? Just kept doing them? And I'll definitely be starting the drill instructor's program very soon. If I don't find it too effective I'll try Accord's. Thanks to both of you guys.
    That's pretty much all I was doing. I DEP'ed in on December 6th and I was just humiliated with my one pullup and 45 crunches I did at MEPS so for Christmas I asked for a pullup bar and I have on that goes in the door frame and I leave it there. In the beginning I started doing one pullup when I entered my room and one when I left my room regardless of anything. Even if I left for 3 seconds I would do one when I exited and then one when I entered. So eventually I just moved it up to 3 to 4 when I enter and exited. But I haven't really gone up or down lately so I'm hoping to have 20 when the next Poolee Function comes around next month. And then the crunches I'm still working on I can do like 60ish which is definately no where near where I want to be. And running I can get a 100 on because I can run a 16:45 3-Mile run. I want that 300 PFT Score before I leave!

Damn nice 3 mile time. Wish I could get that good of a score on my run. Sit ups I'm perfect on, and I'm working on my pull ups right now. I have about 5 or 6 from doing pyramids.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBowman
    And then the crunches I'm still working on I can do like 60ish which is definately no where near where I want to be. And running I can get a 100 on because I can run a 16:45 3-Mile run. I want that 300 PFT Score before I leave!
    How in the world can you run 3 miles in 16:45 and only be able to do 60 crunches? You sure you are doing them the easiest way possible? that just blows my mind lol, cause i can't run 3 miles in under 22:00 and only like 7ish pullups, and i can do the crunches easyyy.

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton4814
    How in the world can you run 3 miles in 16:45 and only be able to do 60 crunches? You sure you are doing them the easiest way possible? that just blows my mind lol, cause i can't run 3 miles in under 22:00 and only like 7ish pullups, and i can do the crunches easyyy.

Yeah I don't know its like the one thing I struggle on. I am doing them the way the other people are..but I can run well... always have been able to run well.

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton4814

Believe it or not but there are many good runners and they suck at crunches and pull-ups. A lot of the bigger bellie recruits would do many more crunches yhan the skinny runners, and as for why? I really have no idea but it is the truth.

Thread Information