Winter OCS
Create Post

Thread: Winter OCS

Winter OCS

I recently graduated and am applying to become a Marine officer candidate. The next available OCS slot is in January, with the next one coming next June. My question is whether OCS during the winter is much more difficult than OCS during the summer. I know either way it's a grueling experience, but if anyone who has been to winter OCS or knows Quantico's weather in the winter could give me some feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

It will be cold in the winter or hot in the summer. You just have to suck it up and deal with it. Marines fight and train in every climate imaginable- no need to worry about that one obstacle. It isn't as if it is BUD/S and you need to be concerned about water temperature.

Quantico absolutely sucks in the winter. That being said, it sucks in the summer too and the transition period lasts about 2 weeks at the most for "good" weather.

You will negotiate water-logged obstacles during the winter (and they tend to freeze over a lot). I personally prefer sweating over freezing... I can always drink an extra canteen. You're not always going to be allowed to put an extra layer on. But in the end, it's really mostly the same. I wouldn't say one is "more difficult" than the other. Just go and do it. Good luck.

Fall is the best time to go...

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I was imagining everything covered in snow 24/7 and people slipping off of icy obstacle courses...I'm from Texas and I prefer the heat over the cold anyday but I realize in the end you have to be ready for all conditions. Thanks again!

Thread Information