Tough uniform question
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1

    Tough uniform question

    I ran this question by several of my Staff NCO's and none of them came close to getting it. I asked the same question to a bunch of boots and they got it after about 5 minutes.

    Q) What is the only MARINE RANK INSIGNIA that can be sewn onto the SERVICE UNIFORM that exists but has never been issued nor worn?


  2. #2
    Platoon Leader Platinum Member jinelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Newark, CA
    Posts
    4,912
    Credits
    13,240
    Savings
    0
    Images
    57
    Tough uniform question is right! Well I guess I'll fall in with the rest of the Staff NCO's on this one, but I cant wait to hear the answer.

    No better friend/No worse enemy


  3. #3

  4. #4
    Im with Crash ....Pvt.


  5. #5
    PVT does not have a rank insignia associated with it. At one point in time wasn't there a Gunner insignia in the shape of a bursting bomb? Don't know that it has ever been worn?


  6. #6
    Marine Free Member GySgtRet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Stafford Va
    Posts
    2,396
    Credits
    10,306
    Savings
    0
    Images
    52

    The bursting bomb

    was a device. I don't remember if it could be sewn or not? I worked with a couple of "Gunners" and when they wore "sateens" they had a device on their collars. AvalonLanding, this is a good challenge, I hope that you have the correct answer. This had to have been a question that a Marine had on a promotion board or in a PME somewhere along the line.


  7. #7
    All good guesses, yet still not close.

    I think it will make it easier if I tell you that this is a modern rank, and if issued, it would be servicable for todays service uniform...


  8. #8
    Gotta be the five star one that is a valid rank but never been used


  9. #9
    Very tricky question, indeed. First of all, only the enlisted ranks are sewn onto the uniform in the Marine Corps. So this eliminates 5 star general. Of course, the army does both. You will notice how the Army EM now wear metal chevrons on their cammies copying the Marine Corps like they try to do everything else.
    I'll take a wild guess that it's First Sgt. Never heard or saw the rank used in the Corps. Could be dead wrong, but this is my guess.


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by beaufort bob
    Very tricky question, indeed. First of all, only the enlisted ranks are sewn onto the uniform in the Marine Corps. So this eliminates 5 star general. Of course, the army does both. You will notice how the Army EM now wear metal chevrons on their cammies copying the Marine Corps like they try to do everything else.
    I'll take a wild guess that it's First Sgt. Never heard or saw the rank used in the Corps. Could be dead wrong, but this is my guess.
    1st Sgt is used very often.


  11. #11
    Every line company has a first shirt.


  12. #12
    I would agree with Camper, but I didn't know that the Corps was authorized for the Corps, I also doubt that it would be. The US hasn't had a 5-star rank since WWII - though McArthur stayed around for awhile.


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jryanjack
    I would agree with Camper, but I didn't know that the Corps was authorized for the Corps, I also doubt that it would be. The US hasn't had a 5-star rank since WWII - though McArthur stayed around for awhile.
    He said "sewn on service uniform". Officers insignia is not sewn on, Marine.


  14. #14
    So what is the answer Avalon?


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz97
    He said "sewn on service uniform". Officers insignia is not sewn on, Marine.
    With the mess dress for officers, isn't the rank also sewn onto the sleave of the jacket depending on rank?

    And I second the call for an answer!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts