Armstrong Pull-Up Program
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Armstrong Pull-Up Program

I'm currently at 12 pull-ups. I would like to get 20 before bootcamp. In order to make my goal I have started a program called the "Armstrong Pull-Up Program". It was developed by Major Armstrong.
    I just started in Monday and I'm on the 3rd training do. I'm having a little difficulty understanding the "training sets". I was hoping someone could take a look and let me know if I'm going them correctly. Here is what I make of it.
    Do a max set of pull ups (I'm at 12).
    3 sets of 4 reps using normal over hand grip.
    3 sets of 4 using the narrow grip with palms facing you.

I'm confused because at the bottom where it explains the training sets. It says you need to do 9 training sets. So is it 9 sets in all? 9 sets pure training set?

I'm not sure if I can link to other sites on the forum so I'll quote it.

Here is the description for todays work out.
    Day 3
    Do three training sets with a normal overhand grip. Rest 60 seconds between each set. Do three training sets gripping the bar so that your palms are toward your face and your little fingers are touching each other. Rest 60 seconds between each set.
    Here is the Training Sets description.
    Training Sets
    Training Sets are easy to define, but require some experimentation to determine for the individual participating in the program. A training set a specified number of repetitions. That means one individual may have 3 repetitions in his training set, but another individual may have more or less. The key to determine the proper number of repetitions in a training set comes on Day 3. You must perform nine training sets that day. If you only do twelve repetitions in your best single set (a PFT set or a maximum effort set), then your training set would probably have one or at most two repetitions. If you were concerned with gross numbers performed, you might try for the higher numbered training set. This is not advised. It is much more important for you to successfully complete the scheduled workout on Day 3, doing one repetition per training set, than it is for you to complete only 6 or 7 sets, trying two or three repetitions in each training set. Day 3 calls for you to do nine training sets. Adjust your training sets so that you can complete this routine properly.
    The best gauge for the number of repetitions in the training set comes on Day 4. If you successfully complete Day 3, try to raise the number of repetitions in your training set by one when you do Day 4. If you get a least nine sets done on Day 4, that tells you that your training set ought to be one repetition higher. If you get less than nine sets, you will still have accomplished a good day’s work, and confirmed that your training set was correct for this week.
    It is important that you do not change the repetitions in a training set in midstream. When you schedule yourself to the day’s routine using three repetitions in your training set, do not change it to two when the exercises get hard.
    Thanks,
    aust10n

I believe it means your doing 9 reps a day or how ever often you do this because 4 over and 4 under plus your first rep of you max makes 9. I'm not even sure if it clearned anything because now I'm a little confused.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I looked through the rules and so nothing about posting a link. If I'm wrong I apologize.

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyat...%20Program.htm

Maybe seeing it in the weekly format will help.

i personally think any thing bearing the name armstong is not worth listening to.. he's a tool in my opinion.

Thread Information