Too fat for Marines?
Create Post

Too fat for Marines?

Hello I am 18 years old and will graduate high school next month. I want to be a MARINE really bad. The only problem is I'm about 6'3 and weigh about 300 lbs. Will they still let me enlist at this weight or will they make me lose it or what the bottom line is can I still be a MARINE?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

jellicoblue

As you may know the Marine Corps weight and height standards are measured by your height to weight ratio, you are posing an excellent question. At 6'3" 300 lbs you are not qualified at this point. I do not have the weight standards in front of me though. Is there a medical reason for your body weight? Does diabeties run in your family that you know of? The best advice that I can give you at this time if you really want to join the Marine Corps is locate a recruiter and check out the weight and height standards. If the Marine Corps analyses and finds that you cannot keep up to the standards you me be disqualified. I doubt very seriously that you would be able to loose the weight in time for recruit training by next month.

Give it some time somebody with more current information will come a long and maybe give you better advice.

Good luck and Welcome to Leatherneck...~!!~!

Credits
    Savings
    Looks like a candidate for the notorious Pork Chop Platoon!

lol

Will the recruiter put me on a diet and help me lose the weight?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your recruiter may have some suggestions for you. I suggest that you post again in the Poolee Hall forum we have folks in there that are struggling with the same issue and one lost 74 pounds in 3 or 4 months. There are also some that can give you some great advice for a PT regimen. Only Marines can respond to your question on this forum. Good Luck to you.

I think a recruiter would offer some suggestions about how to lose weight,
    but, until you actually enlisted and in bootcamp, the decision to stick to any
    diet plans will ultimately up to you. If you truly want the title of Marine, you
    can do it! It's all about positive attitude.

Semper Fi and good luck!

John

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I may have brought this up before but what I have to say certainly verifies what GySgtRet mentioned about standards.
    I believe my son went into the Marine Corps weighing in the 230-245 pound weight range and close to 5'10" - 5'11" in height. It was determined, by the charts, that he weighed too much for his size and he was placed on a diet while at Boot Camp. The irony of all this is that the book/charts didn't account for muscle mass. So, although the Standards/Charts indicated that he was overweight, he was really in very good physical condition. Yes, Jellicoblue, the standards of which GySgtRet referred to are still in play as of 2002.

Thread Information