MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan (April 10, 2006) -- The Marine noncommissioned officer is responsible for the morale, discipline and efficiency of the troops serving under them and are expected to uphold the values of the Marine Corps by serving as an example to all Marines.

Sergeant Levi Fuller was chosen by the III Marine Expeditionary Force as the Marine NCO who best represents these values. He was named the 2005 NCO of the year for III MEF while serving as an air traffic control communications technician, with Marine Air Control Squadron 4, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.

For his accomplishment, Maj. Gen. George J. Trautman III, commanding general for 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, awarded Fuller the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal and meritoriously promoted him to staff sergeant April 3 in a ceremony held at the squadron’s headquarters.

“It feels good to be rewarded for the sacrifices I have made and what my wife had to put up with,” Fuller said.

Fuller joined the Marine Corps in April 2000, and after completing his occupational school, the native of Grants Pass, Ore., reported for duty with MACS-1 at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

While with MACS-1, Fuller deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In Iraq, Fuller served independently as the only air traffic control communications technician at the airfield he was assigned to.

According to Gunnery Sgt. Kim Rydberg, air traffic control communications chief for MACS-4, since coming to Okinawa, Fuller has excelled by going above and beyond his normal responsibilities.

“(Fuller) does the work of three Marines,” Rydberg said. “He can work as hard as a lance corporal but also step into the shoes of a gunnery sergeant. His versatility and work ethic are incredible.”

Fuller has also started working on his associate’s degree since coming to Okinawa.

“After I get my degree, I want to become an instructor (at my military occupational specialty school),” Fuller said. “Once I retire, I would like to move back to Oregon and become a history teacher.”

Ellie