Any 6621's Out There...?
Create Post

Any 6621's Out There...?

Did 6621 School at MCRD San Diego, Summer of '57...
    Any of us left? ...lol...

If that is avionics, in the late 60's those guys were sent to Memphis for mos training in Navy schools after basic electronics at C&E Bn at MCRD SD.

Roger 'Radio Relay'...
    6621 was Aviation Radio Repairman, which took care of Aviation Ground Equipment, not the stuff on planes (Avionics)... With that MOS you went to MACS or MASS Squadrons. or TACC's at Wing HQ's, etc.
    I was in 1957-1961, after schools went to MACS-2/MAG-13 in Atsugi/Kaneohe, then MWHG, 3rd MAW, at El Toro. With that background in the early 1960's there was plenty of jobs available, worked for numerous Defense Contractors, then ended my career as a DOD Civil Servant, been a hell of a ride ...lol...
    Went thru Boot Camp at San Diego in summer of '57, two weeks out of High School. Was a USMCR in Boot Camp, having previously joined the 1st AAA Bn, USMCR, headquartered on Treasure Island, in San Francisco Bay.
    The last day of Boot Camp, after the graduation ceremonies, the DI called me to the 'Duty Hut', where this MP was standing there, MP says he has to take me to Battalion HQ. Didn't say why, just scared the **** out of me! He marches me over to Bn HQ, takes me to the Bn Admin Officers office, Bn Admin Officer being some old Mustang Captain. The Captain gets up from behind his desk, shakes my hand, congratulates me on graduating Boot Camp and becoming a Marine! Offers me a cigarette and a cup of coffee! WTF...
    He asks me what my plans in life are and what I'm gonna do after my 6-Months active duty as a USMCR is over. He then makes me this offer, if I go Regular USMC for four years, he'll get me about 6 or 7 months of Electronics Schools. I JUMPED AT IT, swallowed that Golden Anchor! So, on the last day of Boot Camp I enlist as a USMC Regular!
    Anyway, back then the Marine Corps did not teach Basic Electronics ('A' Schools), only taught various Equipment-Specific schools ('C' Schools). Marines were sent to Navy Basic Electronic Schools, either at Treasure Island or Great Lakes. I was sent to Treasure Island after the One-Month ITR (Infanty Training Regiment) at Camp Pendleton following Boot Camp. Then back to C&E Bn at MCRD San Diego for 6621 School, then Staging Regiment (14 Area) at Pendleton, and on to MACS-2. And the 'Rest is History' so they say......

Thread Information