What was the hardest part of bootcamp? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy

I remember Big and Little Agony, and not with love, and you picked my two favorites also, Drilling and Shooting, kept up the shooting, it did come in handy, in and out of the Corps.

Angry

Should have read;
    Had to "Duck Walk" up and down the sides of "Big and Little Agony" while holding your full seabag over your head.
    Till the Drill Instructor got tired.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Oh yes, the duck walk up and down Mt. Agony---I still have the stretch marks on my legs. (Was that good for us?--- A little humor injected to brighten the day.)) We did it with our footlocker on our shoulder. The DI stood at the top, (high ground of course) and I remember him shouting----MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!

I really didn't like it.

Semper Fi

Ahhh..........Mt. Agony, you guys are bringing back memories. I think the last time I heard of Mt. Agony I was still in the Corps.

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey:
    You "Hollywood Marines" just gave me something to appreciate about Parris Island... it was flat!

Registered User Free Member jbavol's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hardest part was:
    1. Not smiling, I rack was by the quarter deck and when anyone was digged I would look over or smile and I'd be right there with them.
    2. Sand fleas. Try not to scratch and kill the sand fleas, they will get you into trouble.
    3. Eating (but only at first) Eating in less than five minutes with your heals together and feet at a 45 degree angle and with one hand. DON'T EAT IN LINE!

Registered User Free Member jbavol's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh yeah, I forgot the Exorcist Game. That is when right after a meal you have to drink water until you puke. This was done until everyone in the Platoon puked. Then you got to clean it.

Otherwise it was the stupid games played like come here, go away or whatever you do is not fast enough so you have to do it again. It's all bad going through it but you'll have fond memories afterwards.

Semper Fi

Try taking footlockers into showers and rowing them like a boat, with the showers pouring down on everyone. The best part is trying to find your gear and get it back into the footlocker after the D I secures the "activity". From 1955. Found my senior D I last year and spent a day with him at his home in San Clemente. He retired as a Major. GOD I LOVE THAT MAN !!!!

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Oh the memories of those fun filled packed 14 weeks of absolute misery and character building events.

All of boot was hard. We'll not every moment. I "sneaked" a smoke one day. Funny thing is, I don't smoke! But I had one anyway! Some nice Sgt. passed me a smoke and said, "take it into the head private." Then afterwards, I just knew the Senior Drill Instructor would smell it on me. Didn't happen. At that moment, I knew there was a God. But I was also aware the SSGt. Price sat on the right hand of the father. I didn't push anything again.

The funnest day for me was standing in line waiting for our shots. We all looked like cattle waiting for death to leap out at us. Male Recruits and Female Recruits alike. It seems like we stood in line for ever. I watched a few of the male recruits passing out and others crying. Then my turn. Oh my god, they're coming at me with those shot guns. It was all over in a split second. Still wear those shot marks on my arms with pride.

Best thing I ever did, other than have two sons, was to become a Marine. When I think of a ooh rah, it comes from the inner lining of my gut. OOOOOH RAHHHHHHHHH

Semper Fi my band of Devil Dog
    JChristin

Registered User Free Member FREDDY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Man the memories after all this time its still there

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I heard from my Senior Marine Instructor that the first two weeks are the hardest. Not to say that the rest is easy, but is the first two weeks really the hardest?

Registered User Free Member J. WILSON's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    ONLY UNTIL YOU GO THROUGH HELL WEEK, 2ND PHASE, AT PENDLETON.

Registered User Free Member Soon2BkidTx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Im going to Pendleton....Alexander Haile, thats the same thing i heard...its bc the DI's are trying to get the people that cant hack it to quit...but i heard that was the first 3weeks which i thought those were the hell weeks...cuase after that, thats when you start training...like grass, feild, team, rifle, swim and etc...J. Wilson, what weeks are Hell Weeks, if you dont mind me asking?

Brian

Registered User Free Member Roberto T. Cast's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The hardest part of Boot Camp? All of the 8 weeks of Boot Camp were hard and those who couldn't hack it, were taken into the DI hut and you could hear the banging of the wanna bee marine against the office lockers with the DI's shouting at him. Because of their **** up, we all had to pay the price with extra push ups in the sand pit until the DI got tire. If the recruit still did not shape up, then they were thrown by the wayside, and transfer to another platoon. Back then, there NO BABY BLUE MARINES (I want to get out). Eight (8) weeks of HELL with 13 more months tour of duty of Vietnam HELL. Some of us MARINES are lucky to be a little bit sane. And to top it off, those of us who made it back, we came home to fight another war, a home front war full of protesters.

Earle Comstock
    Guest Free Member
    The hardest part of Boot Camp was getting off the bus when I arrived at Parris Island . Although that only lasted for a New York minute , then the fear settled in . Oh yea , then when you met that real nice Marine , I think we called him our Senior Drill Instructor . I just don't remember any part of Boot Camp being easier or harder than another . It all starts with that bus ride in , unless of course you are a Hollywood Marine . Them lucky Marines got Limo's , and are even issued sunglasses . I had a choice , I wanted Parris Island , if only I could do it all over again . I WOULD , IN A HEARTBEAT !

Thread Information