Medical Requirements
Create Post

Medical Requirements

I am new to this forum and I have a few major questions to ask.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are a history of such disorders (300) resulting in any or all of the below: a. Admission to a hospital or residential facility.
    b. Care by a physician or other mental health professional for more than 6 months.
    c. Symptoms or behavior of a repeated nature that impaired social, school, or work efficiency.
    Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

While paging through www.about.com the other day I noticed this little bit. Let me put it frank. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was 12 years old, I now am 16, almost 17. I have an anxiety problem, I am currently on medication for it and I am seeing a doctor about 3 times a year. Would that f--- me up? I mean I know I couldn't be accepted if I was currently on meds but IF I got off meds and no symptoms could I still be admitted.

This is really important to me to find out, b/c I can't think of doing anything else with my life.

I know I'm new here and theres already been like 6 views, could someone maybe fill me in or refer me to a source...

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What happens if you do not take your medication?
    If I had to guess, I would say that you would be permanently disqualified. You cannot enlist if you are on any type of mood altering medications.
    What grade are you in? For kids that take ritilin or any meds for Attention Deficit, they can't have used the meds for atleast the last year and have to have maintained atleast a 'C' average in school while NOT on meds.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome Aboard Veritas89 I cant answer your question specifically, but I have seen wannabes overcome that type of issue before. One recently that I didnt give much hope for had that issue except it was ADHD and several others. He adapted and overcame them and a month ago was finally accepted into DEP and a week ago he left for MCRD San Diego. Be patient we have many Marines here that may be of more help to you.

I'm a sophomore, I don't know whether I want to enlist in reserves outta highschool then go to college then go active, or go straight to active or go through college then go active.

Its not riddelin, and my symptoms when not on medication are mainly just throwing up. But I know I can lean myself off of the meds before I try to enlist, the only question is, I have seen a doctor for more than 6 months and my symptoms have impaired school work etc (according to DOD I'm ****ed.)

Cannot waivers be signed by my doc and such b/c I cannot think of doing anything else with my life and this is just a shock.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you cannot function normally without the medication then you may not be able to enlist in any service. The good news is you have a couple of years to try to overcome your anxiety. I would talk to your doctor about some different alternatives in dealing with the anxiety. If the anxiety is brought on by stressful situations, you might want to look into different exercises that might help you. Possibly meditation or yoga. Or maybe force yourself to do things that cause the anxiety. Try joining a team of sorts (paddling, basketball, baseball). Do something that will force you to face your fears and find a better way to deal with the anxiety.
    I wish I could be more help. I am sure you have heard all of this before. Good luck to you!

BUMP

Anyone else got some advice?

Please help me...

Do what the Gunny said. Thats some really good advice. As a Marine youll need to be self sufficient and be able find solutions when none are apparent.
    Stay motivated kid. My advice just like some of the other Marines have said is to start to ween yourself off. Obviously talk to your Doc first but there has to be other things you can do. But dont mope around hoping an answer miracles itself to you .

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Veritas89 - these guys are giving you some good advice. A lot of folks think the Corps (or any other branch) is just a "9-5" and they don't understand why the military won't take them if they're on every mood altering drug that's out there. Think about it - if you're having anxiety attacks what good are you going to be to the Corps? None, because the first thing that stresses you out (especially if you were to get sent to Iraq, for example) is going to render you worthless. You would only end up hurting yourself or fellow Marines around you. However, if you REALLY want to go in the Corps, find it in yourself to overcome whatever it is that's stressing you out. It CAN be done but it has to come from within.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Veritas89 - these guys are giving you some good advice. A lot of folks think the Corps (or any other branch) is just a "9-5" and they don't understand why the military won't take them if they're on every mood altering drug that's out there. Think about it - if you're having anxiety attacks what good are you going to be to the Corps? None, because the first thing that stresses you out (especially if you were to get sent to Iraq, for example) is going to render you worthless. You would only end up hurting yourself or fellow Marines around you. However, if you REALLY want to go in the Corps, find it in yourself to overcome whatever it is that's stressing you out. It CAN be done but it has to come from within.
    Yeah I know, thanks for the advice and the push. First thing on my list of what to do is talk to the Doc then start slowly going off the meds. But my question from the beginning is: Will they let me in if I'm OFF the meds and have no symptoms even though I have a history? The DOD is confusing in that aspect to me.

Because I know I can do it, because its the only thing I want to do. But would it even be worth it or would they shut me out because of a history?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas89
    Yeah I know, thanks for the advice and the push. First thing on my list of what to do is talk to the Doc then start slowly going off the meds. But my question from the beginning is: Will they let me in if I'm OFF the meds and have no symptoms even though I have a history? The DOD is confusing in that aspect to me.

Because I know I can do it, because its the only thing I want to do. But would it even be worth it or would they shut me out because of a history?

Can you get in if you lie about your current mental/medical situation? Yes. Anyone can lie about the medical status. But can you get through boot camp with an anxiety disorder? More than likely - NOT! Multiply, whatever stress you currently have been dealing with in your life by about 100 and you have boot camp. You need to try to figure out a better way to deal with stressful situation. That is what is going to help you get off this medication and help you to become a Marine.
    Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice, and yes I know how stressfull boot camp WILL be. But you still haven't answered my first question. Will they let me in if I'm OFF the meds and have no symptoms even though I have a history?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas89
    Thanks for the advice, and yes I know how stressfull boot camp WILL be. But you still haven't answered my first question. Will they let me in if I'm OFF the meds and have no symptoms even though I have a history?
    You aren't going to know that until you are basically qualified, which means - you are a high school senior, at least 17 years old, pass the ASVAB, and are within height and weight standards for the Marine Corps. I believe you stated you are currently a 10th grader. If you were a senior right now, with your current medical situation the answer would be a definate NO! But, if you do what I stated from the very beginning and start now by getting off the meds and working on the anxiety then you will be able to show that you a two year medical history of not being on medication and not needing the medication, then there might be a possibility that they will qualify you.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyM
    But, if you do what I stated from the very beginning and start now by getting off the meds and working on the anxiety then you will be able to show that you a two year medical history of not being on medication and not needing the medication, then there might be a possibility that they will qualify you.
    Thank you thats all I needed to know.
    Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information