"Phrase---OOH-RAH-UH-RAH" - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Recon used to use it at Camp Pendleton in the late 50's. Drill Instructors in 2s RTBn at SD began using it in the late 60's when they were told they could no longer use the words, kill, kill, kill.

Ring-dang-doo...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Graduated PI late in the 60's it was for sure and for certain
    in full use then my bro's,
    don't know if its a DI thing or the age thing with the DI's or what
    but Ive used it since the dawn of man in my Jarhead life.

Shelia, I was from your neck of the bush, lived in San Berdoo Co., for over 20 yrs...I was a Hollywood Marine...and we had Quonset huts as well...we were only in wood barracks the first couple days, then Quonset, after the Range & IT, then in brick barracks until grad day.

It was not the First 90 days for me in Bootcamp, as I was in for an extra month, after being injured and sent to MRP. I enlisted during Nam, I was 24 & married with a son, however I was not at home when my parents received the draft notification.

Then I picked up a new Platoon and DI's for the remainder 30 days...and back then DI's did pamper Recruits, (smacked) and cussing shoo 'd away the Doves...then Mom's of America came down on the Corps by way of Congressman & Senators.

I never looked at it as Abuse/Corporal Punishment dates back to 10BC (as I was a Private ha ha), as some may have called hand punishment...but it was essential to training, especially in the time of War.

Not having been a Female Recruit, I do not know if the same happened for them. Also, there were a few Muggings/Blanket Parties/visit to the Mop room, if a Boot could not get with the program.

So OORah, was not heard much as was Ooof! Oww! Ugh! did not use S*^#! or F#&%, meant more was to come. I made the mistake of writing home that Boot was like the Boy Scouts and the DI was looking over my shoulder.

It became "Private I Need to be Motivated" stand at attention, no eye f'ing me and I had to take what was dished out.

I miss those days and those that followed, thank you for your service firerescue at drdocyoung.com MOS 7051

I was in from 1954 until 1958 and I never heard it until I read these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Hays View Post
    We never used it during my time (59-62), I never heard it until the new Marines on this board used it. We have alot of vets on here, old Corps. Semper Fi. Sheila Hays
    I never heard of it until I came aboard Leatherneck. Never did hear it in my time either Sheila ('63-'65).
    Semper Fi

Wow a really old thread. Never heard it 66-70.

Thread Information