"Phrase---OOH-RAH-UH-RAH" - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsta View Post
    67-71 and never heard of it til I saw "Gunnys" show onTV.
    Rsta was my bunk mate in bootcamp. We never heard it. So it would seem like it depended on the Bn. or series you trained with. S/F

I met a woman when I was in Carmel, Ca. for Thanksgiving. She was pushing Marine Corps bulldog in a stroller, he was old, his back legs wouldn't support him.
    I told her that he looked like the M.C. bulldog, I knew this because I had been in the Corps. A man who was walking behind her said "Semper Fi", boy was I taken aback. I also replied "Semper Fi", right away we were exchanging MOS's. He was a Nam Vet, 0311, how proud we made each other feel.
    We left each other with a smile. I'm so proud to have been a Marine, I'm older now but I still smile every time I hear "Semper Fi".

In 1966 -1970, SD boot camp and I never heard it till several years ago.

I was introduced to "OooRah!!!" by my Drill Instructors ( Nov 1974) when getting my first PT (thrashing) in the receiving barracks at Boot. We were told it was the appropriate possitive verbal response to any training situation. Example: "All right Maggots, bends and Motherf***ers, ready begin!". "Sir, Aye Aye, Sir!" "I CAN"T HEAR YOU LADIES!!" "SIR, AYE AYE, SIR!". OOHRAH!!! LOL Ahhhh the memories................SF

I never heard it, never on Parris Island or MCRD San Diego. They still had Quonset huts for the male recruits and for the females, I was in a wooden barracks. After a hurricane, the wood swelled, it made it impossible to open the portholes. We still had some women recruits escape.

a war cry barked like a big bad dog

1987-I remember our Senior DI criticizing the way we were hollering it out. OOOrah , we were singing it like it is spelled, however he told us to actually bark it out like a big bad dog would bark. He taught us to emphasize the first syllable with a punching "Aoor" and follow through with the "ahh".
    It was much more motivating and sounds pretty scary. The other platoons in our series were still saying it like pansies when we were barking like the devil dogs we wanted to be.
    It was heavy.
    I still use it when I need to shut down a dog fight or get myself pumped up.

I can remember some dogs we had that liked to fight indoors. I would shake the house with a loud Ooorrah, and everything wold stop, and I could get their attention, and obedience.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    I have used the term since the late 1960's and was always told the correct spelling was OORAH!!! I believe that the info below is correct and the best information regarding the origin. I have never heard of a better one that pins it down as specifically.

OK, HERE IT IS! THE DEFINITION AND HISTORY OF 'OORAH'

Right after Korea in 1953 the 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the birth of "OORAH" in the Corps.

Specifically, where it came from was when Recon Marines were aboard the Submarine USS PERCH, ASSP-313. The Perch was an old WWII diesel boat retrofitted to carry UDT and Amphib Recon Marines. If you remember the old war movies, whenever the boat was to dive, you heard on the PA system, "DIVE,DIVE", and you heard the horn sound "AARUGHA", like an old Model "A" horn.

Sometime in 1953 or 1954, 1st Amphib Recon Marines, while on a conditioning run on land singing chants, someone imitated the "Dive" horn sound "AARUGHA", and it naturally became a Recon Warrior chant or mantra while on runs. It is sort of like the martial arts yell and adds a positive inference to the action. And this became part of Recon lexicon.

Former SgtMaj of the Marine Corps, John Massaro, was the company gunny of 1st Force in the late 50s and when he tansferred to MCRDSD as an instructor at DI school he took "AARUGHA" with him and passed it on to the DI students and they , in turn, passed it on to recruits.

Just as "Gung Ho" became symbolic of the WWII Raiders, so did "AARUGHA" become part of the new "running Marine Corps."

Over time, "AARUGHA" EVENTUALLY CHANGED TO "OORAH". The official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AARUGHA", giving credence on the orgination of the 'POSITIVE RESPONSE' accenting anything that is meant to be good and uniquely Marine Corps.

It is part of Marine Corps language, like "Pogey Bait", "SOS", etc.

OORAH!!!

This is definitely the one I'd been taught.

From a US Army viewpoint:

Hooah was derived from the original spelling and acronym H.U.A., which meant Heard, Understood, Acknowledged.
    In popular culture

a HOOAH! energy bar

• "Hooah" can be found in the scripts of several military-related movies. One well-known example is Al Pacino's character, a former U.S. Army officer, in the movie Scent of a Woman (which may have popularized the longer "Hoo-Ah" version). "Hooah" also features prominently in Black Hawk Down, which depicts United States Army Rangers at the 1993 Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia and Lions for Lambs a film about the war in Afghanistan. In Basic, Samuel L. Jackson's character finishes each line of his training briefings with "Give me a 'Hooah', Sergeant!". In the 2004 American film The Manchurian Candidate, Denzel Washington's character responds an order with it during the brainwashing procedure. It is also extensively used by Matt Damon's character in the 2010 movie Green Zone.
    • Used as the meaning of "Heard, Understood, Acknowledged" by private young soldiers in the movie Renaissance Man from 1994.
    • In place of "I really hate my job but it's a guarenteed paycheck."
    • In the episode "Semper Fidelis" of the TV series Jericho, former U.S. Army Ranger Johnston Green realizes that a detachment of "U.S. Marines" are imposters because they use the word "hooah." Genuine Marines would have said "Oorah" instead.
    • The GI unit in Red Alert 2 sometimes says "hooah" in response to an order by the player.
    • It is also incorrectly used in Ghosts of Girlfriends Past by the Sarge, a member of the U.S. Marines.
    • The computer game America's Army makes frequent use of the phrase, and pressing the H key on the keyboard in version 2 or below would make the player's character shout "Hooah" over the radio to other members of the player's team, sometimes eliciting a series of "Hooahs" in reply.
    • In the microtransaction, free to play game of Combat Arms, "Hooah" is featured as a voice-com taunt.
    • "Hooah" can be heard in Crysis, yelled by a Marine on the USS Constitution and at least one other point in the game.
    • In Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the NEST team replies "Hooah" when Major Lennox gives instructions before the battle with the Decepticons in Egypt.
    • In the videogame Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the U.S. Army Rangers are heard multiple times throughout the game using Hooah for "anything and everything except 'no.'"
    • In the videogame Medal of Honor (2010 video game), several Rangers from the U.S. Army military forces are heard using Hooah (or HUA) as for understanding and acknowledging orders from their commanding officers.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk87to91 View Post
    1987-I remember our Senior DI criticizing the way we were hollering it out. OOOrah , we were singing it like it is spelled, however he told us to actually bark it out like a big bad dog would bark. He taught us to emphasize the first syllable with a punching "Aoor" and follow through with the "ahh".
    It was much more motivating and sounds pretty scary. The other platoons in our series were still saying it like pansies when we were barking like the devil dogs we wanted to be.
    It was heavy.
    I still use it when I need to shut down a dog fight or get myself pumped up.

I can remember some dogs we had that liked to fight indoors. I would shake the house with a loud Ooorrah, and everything wold stop, and I could get their attention, and obedience.
    LOL I had a similar situation when I was home on leave from Boot. I went to a local rock concert. Can't remember the band any longer, but they were good. After one particularly awesome song, the crowd started cheering, yelling, and clapping, and me in my enthusiastic attitude at the time barked out an extremely loud OOOORAAAAHHH!!!! The whole place went quiet and everyone looked at me like I was from another planet. It had become such an instilled reaction that I did it without thought to where I was. LOL Last time I did that. LOL SF

Oorah is a battle cry common by Marines since the mid-20th century. It is comparable to hooah in the US Army and hooyah in the US Navy and US Coast Guard. It is most commonly used to respond to a verbal greeting or as an expression of enthusiasm.

Semper Fi ! Do or Die ! MOS-7051 CFR

In the 60's we never heard of ooorah. In the Nam when we attacked we just gave the old Rebel Yell.

Credits
    Savings
    Ca ca dow or di di mow depending of if you were kicking azz or had just walked into an ambush, Like Billy and Russ, I never heard of it until a few years ago.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Beau Cou Dinky Dow

I first heard it in 1985 field medical service school, sing cadance in pt.

Semper fi my brothers and sisters

stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Beau Cou Dinky Dow
    And proud of it!

Thread Information