Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Bayonet Training in USMC

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I doing a little research and wondered if anyone with the appropriate knowledge might be able to clarify at what point in Marine recruit training would someone undertake Fixed Bayonet Rifle drills?

I'm specifically trying to get a picture of when this would have been undertaken in recruit training in 1979.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

With thanks

Dave Humm

Are you just after a picture? Info about the training? And by drills do you mean learning how to use them?

I was went to P.I. in 1978, so I doubt much changed. As best as my memory serves me, we did very little drilling with the bayonet fixed. Perhaps 1 or 2 hrs, or less. But we did lots of slashes & butt strikes together in a wide formation. Yelling loudly was a big part of this. Our D.I.'s would take a break, while some instructor, standing high on a platform would drill several platoons together. This was always done out doors.

And if you think the training is for nothing (as most people do in bootcamp) look up some of the occasions in the last few years where they have actually been used.

That's some motivating stuff right there...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Field week in boot camp we ran a bayonet assault course. There was some sort of reward system set up wherein you either broke the man made out of wood and car tires or you broke either your weapon or bayonet you were rewarded. I never saw anyone actually break either but it did add some extra agression in the attack.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gents.

Many thanks for the replies thus far, its appreciated.

I'm a current serving member of the British Forces and had the pleasure of working alongside (briefly) US Marines in Iraq last year.

The reason for my enquiry is quite simple, I'm in dialogue with gentleman who claimed to have served in the USMC - he operates a martial arts Academy where he additionally teaches many "combat" orientated military skills and alludes in the public domain that his service in the USMC is the foundation of such skills - one of which is Fixed Bayonet Drills.

Having had his military record released under FOIA it transpires he served just 43 days of recruit training at Parris Island before being discharged. This information alone negates any alledged military expertise in military combat skills.

My enquiry specifically about bayonet drills was an attempt at gaining information as to when recurits at Parris Island would have conducted that training, IE was it within the first 43 days of their training.

With thanks

Dave Humm

Yes he would have recieved bayonet training within the first 43 days of bootcamp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal2361 View Post
    Yes he would have recieved bayonet training within the first 43 days of bootcamp.
    It would have to be right on the very edge of 43 days.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    .. even if the 43 days crossed into Christmas 1979 ?

How much time would you assume a recruit would have been removed from the training rotation for a serious medical issue, serious enough to require his discharge ?

With thanks again

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Holidays have very little impact on Marine Recruit training. If SNM had a medical condition severe enough to cause a discharge then my guess is he would have spent a large portion of those 43 days in a rehabilitation or discharge platoon and not out doing slash and jab in the field with the other recruits.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hold a Masters Rank ( Shihan ), ( 5th Degree Black Belt ) in Kenpo.
    What's his Name and what's his Website???

When I went to boot camp in 2003 the MCMAP program was implemented which includes bayonet training and we started doing MCMAP training within the first few weeks (if my memory serves me correctly). I just re-read the original post and see that he was asking about 1979 boot camp so in that instance I do not know when the training would have occured. I guess my input wasn't needed in the first place.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ralph Severe

Dallas Texas

www.artofcombat.com

he's being discussed at a martial arts consumer advocacy website here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54062

warning: the thread is epically long - too long to read from the start so let me give you a summery here and you can read what you wish within the thread - Ralph Severe posts like 12 year old (no I'm not being funny)

Ok, a thread was started back in 2005 questioning if Ralph Severe was legitimate, although the initial responces were mixed the thread eventually drifted into obscurity.

In January of this year Ralph Severe aka Kamiyamashinobi began posting and the thread devolved considerably when he was questioned on the martial arts grades he claims to hold.

Point of note: He is the legitimate holder of a ninth dan in Ninjutsu however; he also claims to be the holder of 6 black belts in 6 other arts and, claimed to have gained them before the age of 19 when he enlisted into the USMC.

My involvement stems from his military teachings and Ralph does not like what I have to say - suffice he does nothing but post gibberish in response to my questions and to those of other serving US soldier and Law Enforcement Officers also contributing.

In several of my posts I have included links to external websites where Ralph has contradicted himself or lied based on what he's posted in the Bullshido thread.

There won't be a conclusive end to the discussion because Ralph refuses to clearly discuss any of the salient points, all he's effectively doing is making himself look even more foolish as he seems pathologically unable to refrain from posting more gibberish.

Thanks in advance

Dave Humm

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal2361 View Post
    When I went to boot camp in 2003 the MCMAP program was implemented which includes bayonet training and we started doing MCMAP training within the first few weeks (if my memory serves me correctly). I just re-read the original post and see that he was asking about 1979 boot camp so in that instance I do not know when the training would have occured. I guess my input wasn't needed in the first place.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    That was Good .
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

PS, Where is the OP with the answer to my questions ???
    Doesn't he Know I can see him viewing the Thread???

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeIsland View Post
    PS, Where is the OP with the answer to my questions ???
    Doesn't he Know I can see him viewing the Thread???
    LOL see above

Thread Information