Operation Enduring Typhoons
Create Post

Unhappy Operation Enduring Typhoons

It's 0145, 04JUL02 and I am wide awake cause there is a Damn Typhoon pounding Okinawa right now. And guess what there is another one right behind it about 2 days out. Bad enough I had to endure hurricanes on the East Coast. Oh well commence Operation Enduring Typhoons, I guess this is where the Coffee Comes into play. Happy Birthday America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered User Free Member LongShot's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

I remember those....

September 1988, we were returning from Iwo Jima ( 1st Military Operation on Iwo Jima since WWII ) and were told that we were trying to out run a Typhoon back to Okinowa. Was stuck on a LST for the trip back and that flat bottom piece of s*** was hitting 23 degree rolls. We hit shore and made a bee line for the baracks. Had just enough time to get the wall lockers pushed in front of the windows. Spent the next 3 days in the barracks eating MRE's and the following week cleaning up the base. Can't say I miss those typhoons. Ride it out and keep away from the windows. Semper FI.

Talking Did you say Thai-food?

Oh, TYPHOON. Sorry, I'm sorta hungry. I've rode many a Typhoon out in Okinawa. They do hit in waves about two or three days apart, then couple of dry weeks and another wave until the rainy season is over. Don't be discouraged, Typhoons can be fun! We used to go to that little base convenience store by the USO and by up all the beer and poguey bait and rent all the videos we could. Then return to the barracks before the order to remain indoors. TYPHOON PARTY. There were some idiots in another company that used to take sheets and hold them up like sails and skateboard up thats right UP the hills. Some other fools would take their horse blankets and hold them like parachutes and jump off the tops of the four story barracks. Didn't always work as planned. LOL, FUBAR, LOL. So you see, Typhoons CAN be fun!

Mandatory Disclaimer: Sgt Henry does not condone nor partake in anything written here and does not advocate the unnecessary chances of placing oneself in harms way for fun or future notoriety. If Sgt Henry is brought up in any NJP hearings, he will emphatically deny any knowledge of the events stated herein. In laymens terms...Your on your own, buddy.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Talking Forrest Gump???

... and one day it started to rain. There was little bity rain, and big ole fat rain.....

Ohhh the memories. Wall lockers against the wall, and having to wear flak jackets and steel pots to the mess hall.

Thanks for the memories (oh poolboy... another umbrella for my drink please)

I did my turn over there, so family could sleep safe and sound. Now, it's my turn (and everyone else) to sleep safe and sound. My SEMPER thanks to all who make, and made, it possible.

HAPPY FOURTH !!!!!!

Terry

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Arrow Grab your Kevlar and Flak

Then run, don't walk, to the package store!!!

I hope you had fair warning and were able to get some chow and refreshments stocked up in your room. Good time to hang out with the Marines and have some unplanned fun. Atleast the Corps isn't charging you leave!!

Make the most of it! Be safe.

Sixguns

LadyLeatherneck
    Guest Free Member

Re: Operation Enduring Typhoons

Originally posted by mpwildes
    It's 0145, 04JUL02 and I am wide awake cause there is a Damn Typhoon pounding Okinawa right now. And guess what there is another one right behind it about 2 days out. Bad enough I had to endure hurricanes on the East Coast. Oh well commence Operation Enduring Typhoons, I guess this is where the Coffee Comes into play. Happy Birthday America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've lived in Cali all my life and never been out of Cali outside
    of those 3 wonderful months on Parris Island so my question is

What's a typhoon??? .....LOL!!!!!

A typhoon is similar to an earthquake except, there is dark clouds, lots of rain, wind from hell and some rumbling. So except all the rattling and rolling it's like an earthquake. Oh wait, it's a hurricane except it's on the westren pacific.

Angry here comes some more

two more on the way one from one side and one from the other double whammy from both sides good grief.

Talking In reply to LL...

A typhoon sailor, is a big wind and rain storm that spins the opposite direction of a hurricane. It can be extremely violent and cause major damage and destruction. It can also be FUN! The winds are clocked in Km an hour but usually average between 75-110MPH. It spins the opposite direction than hurricanes because of its' location in the southern hemisphere. (That is BELOW the equator). Not only is the weather affected by the southern hemisphere, but the locals of a certain gender are as well. Many are found to run side to side rather than up and down.

Thread Information