Thank You, Mother
Create Post

Thank You, Mother

After having lived long enough to wake up, I'm thankful I knew you Col (Gen) Puller. Of the many honors and benefits of having served in the Marine Corps was, as I prefer to phrase it "having worked for" then Col. Chesty Puller in W-3-1 from August, 1950 to Sept, 1951 in Korea. Regretfully only years later did I begin to fully realize what a great leader of men he was. Sometime in the 1980's, some 30 years after discharge and while visiting in Mother's home, suddenly I said: "You know Mother, it seems like I always had good bosses and military commanders." Mother instantly replied "Yes son, I always prayed for you a lot." Suddenly, as in the Johnny Cash tune, I came away with a different point of view. I suspect not everyone had been provided the support I was given. Col. Puller was not one of the "perfumed princes" operating remotely as described by Col. David Hackworth in his books. I have here evidence to tell you he must have been one of those leaders Col. T. R. Fehrenbach describes in his book "This Kind of War (TKOP), an officer "... who had the courage to always make the hard decisions to make the troops always do the difficult yet correct thing ... ". The long list of 5 Navy Crosses awarded Col. Puller should have been at 6 awards from considering the following episode I witnessed during Sept., 1950. The time frame was during the 1st Marine Regiment advance from Inchon toward Seoul. When I say I worked for Col. Puller, I was an ammunition carrier in W-3-1 (a pack mule really), and now a days am thankful for the experience. Any way, we moved out early one Sept. morning advancing toward Seoul and began to take some small arms fire. Instantly we all took cover, in a potato field, there being a road to my left, with a long line of vehicles, a tank leading the column. Everybody and everything stopped, the tank engine idling. I was safely prone behine some cover in the potato field, not making any contribution, feeling secure as I watched rounds spatter off the road and tank. I suddenly noticed a lone individual walking forward at a brisk 120, and idly wondered who it was, some new replacement or who, coming forward from about 500 yards to the rear. As he got closer I suddenly noted sunlight reflecting off his officer insignia. As he kept coming forward, rounds were spattering off the road and vehicles and he appeared not to notice, looking grimly straight ahead. As he passed directly by me about 10 yards away, I saw he was a full bird Col., Col. L. B. Puller, his self. He stopped at the rear of the tank, and jerked up the phone mounted above the rear of the right track. I couldn't hear what he said, but it was brief, and instantly the tank belched out black exhaust smoke and dug out forward. And likewise the 1st Marine Regiment was moving forward. I shall always remember, that on any occasion when in the presence of the Col., he always had that grin of confidence and you felt secure in his presence. Thank you, Colonel. Gary Hall, PFC, 633178, Tyler, TX

Thank You PFC Gary Hall USMC...
    Words fail me and we feel proud to have follow in your foot steps...

If people really knew what a Marine is......oh God for the world to be perfect!!

Thread Information