To kick things off... - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    As I said in my statement "I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out." The Drill Instructors WILL find something, and yes it can be good because squad leaders and scribes, and guides are often promoted out of boot camp and one is usually the honorman. But what they look for and find is LEADERSHIP abilities and the willingness to do your job. You do what they expect and you are rewarded, you fail and you are just another recruit...

Oh great.. I'm currently 14 years old, and already 6'2. I'm going to stick out like a burning red hot thumb!

I realize that things have changed since my first day at MCRD SD but as we stood on the yellow footsteps (after a time of yelling by the DI) the first stop was a barbers chair for a skin head haircut (regardless of how much hair you had before sitting down) next stop was a large room with nothing but a lot of long tables (with empty cardboard boxes sitting on them) we then had to strip and everything we had went into the box. The DI's (who were walking up and down the length of the tables and yes yelling) would stop at each man and empty his wallet and throw anything you couldn't have into the box. We then sealed the box and wrote the address where it was supposed to be sent on it (last time we seen these boxes)
    We then lined up and had to take a shower afterwards went down a row of windows and had our "uniforms" thrown at us--this consisted of a pair of white hi top tennis shoes, green socks, yellow sweatshirt (with red Eagle Globe and Anchor on it) a utility cover,pair of utility trousers, pair of white boxers and white tee shirt and the longest dam belt I had ever seen. We returned to the room with the tables and the DI's taught us how to wear our "uniform" and this remained our uniform for the first week at MCRD SAN DIEGO.
    Once upon a time when someone wanted to be a Marine they walked into a recruiters office and he took it from there if you were qualified he sent you to an AFEES where you got a physical and IQ testing and if you passed you were sworn in and usually went to one of the MCRD's from there.
    No one told you what to bring how to dress or any rules you must obey when you got there--that was the DI's job.
    Every one started out as equals,it was up to the individual to excel or fail.
    We did not have the opportunity the poolees have now as far as motovation because we didn't know it but there is waiting at MCRD the greatest motovater in the world---
    it is the Marine Drill Instructor. When you first meet your DI's you might not understand the language they speak but very quickly will not misunderstand or fail to carry out any of his commands. He will become the focal point in your life. He will cause you to perform feats you once thought impossible. He will heap physical torture on you and you will comply.
    I know this sounds as if I am defining the Marine Drill Instructor as a demonic type person, I am not because he is the mold you will be the clay used to make a Marine. He will never have anything personal against any recruit but he will make sure that you are a finished product before you leave him.
    Remember always that what you are doing in a MCRD many have done before you and they are the ones that you will be serving beside and when you join them not only will they know but you also will know that you have earned the right to stand besides them as a Marine.
    Don't let anyone deter you or stand in your way if the end product of your quest is to be a Marine--no one can help or hinder you if this is what you want.
    Welcome and good luck in MCRD hope to see all of you earn your place among the best and join the greatest brotherhood and sisterhood in the world. SEMPER FI forever

dont wear your poolee shirt cuz the di's will have your a$$ for wearing anything that says MARINE before you have earned it. the recieving di's will get you, and then when you get your stuff back on t68, your greenbelts will have it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo5November
    I forgot number 5.

5. Always ask to have your hair highlighted when you go to the barber, and grow some sideburns and a goatee. Be a fashion pioneer.
    True success in the Corps... 1 thru 20

Hollywood Marines:
    Standing tall and looking good. Marines who graduated from San Diego, CA.

NEVER LAUGH....One of the Marines in my platoon in boot made that mistake... imagine pushing, crying and saying over and over "HA HA SIR." Also, if you have moles or any weird little thingys on your head, the barber will surgically remove them with the fastest haircut you have ever had in your life. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by J-Ro
    If I could Go back, I would shave my head prior to shipping off
    I can't tell if you are serious or kidding. I figured they would jump down your throat for "pretending to be a Marine" before you have earned it. I already keep my hair at 1/8" anyways, so I figured I would have to let it grow for a few weeks before I went.

Never say "I CAN`T", Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    As I said in my statement "I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out." The Drill Instructors WILL find something, and yes it can be good because squad leaders and scribes, and guides are often promoted out of boot camp and one is usually the honorman. But what they look for and find is LEADERSHIP abilities and the willingness to do your job. You do what they expect and you are rewarded, you fail and you are just another recruit...

This to the willingness to do your job part. If you aren't willing to do your job then do not enlist in the Corps (directed to future poolees, including myself) you have to be willing to make anything happen, including making it through Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JWG
    Oh great.. I'm currently 14 years old, and already 6'2. I'm going to stick out like a burning red hot thumb!
    I'm 6'7, almost 6'8, and you're 100% correct. You are always going to stick out, and you're going to get ****ed with a lot, especially if you're like me and end up with a tall, skinny, drill instructor who remembered being messed with for being a tall, skinny, white kid. So he decided to mess with me for being a tall, skinny, white kid.

So yes, be prepared to get absolutely destroyed, constantly, and do nothing but clean the "tall portholes".

Oh, and because you stick out so much, you're going to get messed with by the DI's from other platoons more than most people.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JWG
    Don't worry, I'm 16 and I'm only 5'5. That's a little short. The way I see it, the Drill Instructor will looking everyone over and suddenly he comes to a gap in the line, then he'll look down and see...me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiablo
    Don't worry, I'm 16 and I'm only 5'5. That's a little short. The way I see it, the Drill Instructor will looking everyone over and suddenly he comes to a gap in the line, then he'll look down and see...me.
    Thats ok I'm going to be the first one they know, because my dad is going to make a little phone call and say that he is a retired Marine , aand my grand-father and step graand-father on my mom's side are retired Marines, so I'm going to have sooooooo much fun

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So...we're pretty much evened out, I'm short, and your family hates you...

you poolees have no idea what your getting into. yea bottcamp sucks but hate to break it to you all, but it dont matter what size you, you are still going to get killed. they dont care who your family is, they'll tell you that. half of my platoon had family in the Marine Corps. you want to feel something hard? try telling your family when youll be leaving for iraq.i am not treying to sound like a prick or anything but you all make it sound like bootcamp is a game or a joke. i dont know if i am the only one who sees it this way or if thats just how poolees think, but good luck to you all
    Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MillRatUSMC
    Proper greeting of the day, noon or night...

"Good morning, afternoon, or night, followed by the rank of the Marine"
    Generally it from a lower rank to higher rank,
    But there been occasions, when an Officer might asked;
    How are you doing Marine before you can render that officer a proper greeting.
    I was reading a web page, where a Marine corporal asked, why can't we extend courtesy to one another as enlisted Marines.
    His point being that we all went through boot camp, and we should acknowledge that fact, instead of just passing by.
    This is an old thread but brought to mind a navy chief indoctrination. One of the questions was .... what should you do if a a Marine private salutes you. Answer .... salute him back.... then thank him. Many many Marine privates mistake them golden anchors for officer stars and bars. You are not an officer but a chief petty officer and it is an honor to you when a Marine salutes you.... you might go a step further and shake his/her hand.

Thread Information