Earned or Not?
Create Post

Thread: Earned or Not?

Earned or Not?

Just wondering if anyone can confirm or squash the idea that Desert Storm vets qualified for the Armed Forces Expeditionary medal/ribbon? I was discharged medically soon after we returned and was informed that we were eligible. Now, years later, I'm getting together my ribbon bar for VFW events and I'm seeing a list of qualified campaigns which doesn't include Desert Storm. Can someone square me away on this?? Thanks, bros.....Semper Fi!

this should get you the updated dd214 which would have all medals and ribbons
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/view.php?pg=dd214

I finally got my hands on a proper medals and ribbons book and I'm squared away now on the question I posted. Thanks for the DD214 link, Ferg81! Semper Fi, bros

You are qualified.
    I had the same question and we do qualify.

Just wondering/asking. Do the Desert Storm vets have a Medal for that action? Usually when a Service Medal is isused the AFEM is not given for the same action.

i recevied 3 campaign medals for that action, Southwest Aisa Service Medal(3 bronze stars), Kuwait Liberation Medal(SA), and the the Kuwait Liberation Medial (K), as far as i remember if you recevied any of the the above, the AFEM is not authorized!

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtt32
    i recevied 3 campaign medals for that action, Southwest Aisa Service Medal(3 bronze stars), Kuwait Liberation Medal(SA), and the the Kuwait Liberation Medial (K), as far as i remember if you recevied any of the the above, the AFEM is not authorized!
    I never got the AFEM either nor was I ever under the impression that it was coming. After I got out, a few years later, I contacted someone to go through my record to make sure no other ribbons or medals had come in. Its good to have it checked up once after you EAS.

I was with 1/24 and I am unsure if I rate the following or or not, i have requested my 214, but who knows how long that will take? The NAVMC2922 dated Mar06 reads this way;

24th Marine Regiment (-) NUC 14Aug90-16Apr91 SU I MEF

I know the SU = supporting unit, how do I find out - prior to receiving my 214. Even then, do they continue to update 214's?

Thanks for any and all help.

Credits
    Savings
    One other point to mention...

Desert Storm has not ended. An ending date has not been passed by the President. So I am under the assumption that only after the War is over will medals/ribbons be updated.

I see. Well can you explain the one I listed? Do I rate that, the NUC?

Thanks for the response....

I guess I should add it here......I was with 1/24 from 88 to 94.

For what its worth - getting the records center to check your DD214 for missing medals and ribbons is not all that accurate, in my experience. They claim that I rate the Antartic Service Medal, even sent me the medal and an attachment for my DD214. Only problem was that I was never in the Antartic, and somehow think its been a long time since any Marine was!

Maybe you were running Clandestine black ops and you are not at liberty to share what you did lol.

Yep, or just brainwashed to forget it......

Anyways then, what is the best option of determining what has been earned? The NAVMC2922 isnt the easiest to understand....
    fyi, in from 88-94 -

Quote Originally Posted by bugs
    The NAVMC2922 dated Mar06 reads this way;

24th Marine Regiment (-) NUC 14Aug90-16Apr91 SU I MEF

I know the SU = supporting unit, how do I find out - prior to receiving my 214. Even then, do they continue to update 214's?

Thanks for any and all help.

This medal game is a night mare.When I got out I was stripped of my medals by a jealous REMF gunny, while on recruiter duty because although I was awarded the medals in battalion formation they were not yet placed in my 214. I know what I rate and you know what you rate and that is really all that matters. "rangers lead the way"3/9 Ico.1stplt.

Thread Information