Close order drill manual - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool MA'AM/Sir.............

In the Marine Corps, Male Officers are called "Sir" and Female Officers are called "Ma"am". Only in Boot Camp are DI's called Sir/Ma'am. I earned the rank of SSgt, was called by this when I was active............I'm stilled called this by many Polee's in here........Their way of showing respect.........Calling a Veteran Marine by his rank is a good way of showing respect for that Marine...........Remember, he earned the respect........Maybe someday you will have the same respect shown you.......

The Drifter

Agreed SSgt. Drifter. The few times I have called an enlisted Marine (active, veteran, or what have you) sir/ma'am it was purely unintentional or because I had not yet learned that enlisted Marines aren't to be addressed as ma'am/sir and most of the time I quickly corrected myself.

I was stating my experiences more than anything else, noting that Marines I've come across have allowed more leeway for show of respect than civilians. Once I was told that the most respectful way to address or refer to an enlisted Marine was by rank and name that what I started to do. Civilians all tend to have their own self-proclaimed title, and it's rarely ma'am or sir, at least in my experience. It can get difficult at times. Unless I've met someone I don't know their name or title preference.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Jess, that made me laugh out loud! hehe

Yeah, that was as inside joke.

Long story shortened, I wanted to send JennyJake a care package but since I don't drive getting the stuff and sending it by myself would be difficult, so I found a place online that had some cool care packages. I was all excited and figured I could pay for it with PayPal since it was a PayPal friendly site, but then I found out that I have to be a legal adult to use such services. Jen helped me and we were good to go, but it was an annoyance.

So, being old means you can vote and send care packages all by yourself to JennyJake.

Registered User Free Member CPLRapoza's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sometimes in the Marine Corps I had to call some Enlisted Marines Sir, Cause sometimes it's hard to make out there rank. so there was a little diddy we used to go by, When not sure, just say sir. Cause me personally I would rather get told not to call him sir, and he will tell me his true rank for next time, then calling a SSgt. Sgt. and getting my @$$ chewed to high heaven. So there are some exceptions to the rule.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    22DP87, et al... just a thought

Perhaps, those (civillians) that you offer respect to don't see the RESPECT, because they DO NOT have it, themselves.

You go right ahead and do what you FEEL is right and correct. If you call me Sir.... I'll simply tell you "the respect is noted but not necessary, please call me............"

THAT IS IF I THINK YOU MEANT RESPECT. It goes both ways.

Ya'll hang in there. Do your reading, and do what you feel is correct. If it's wrong, I'm sure someone will correct you.... respectfully.

Terry

Credits
    Savings

Red face Back to 'Close Order Drill'

This is for Poolee's. If you Marines KNOW, let them dig for it.

Time for a Quiz

When can the Command ATTENTION be given to a formation, legally.

'Parade Rest'
    'At Ease'
    'Rest'

Name another time when a formation MAY be called to ATTENTION.

Let's see who's doing their HOMEWORK

Credits
    Savings
    Lance Corporal,

According to the MCRDPI Drill Handbook, the POA can be called for when halted at any position of rest or while marching at route step or at ease.

Part 2:
    Formations are expected to come to the POA when they are given the command to fall in. (?)

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    OOrah some one is paying attention, also you can be called to the position of attention while milling around inside when an officer comes on board or when colors goes you will bring your slouchy arse to the position of attention. this isn't in the Drill manual I think you can find it in the green monster under customs and courtesies.

"There is a rank due to the United States among nations, which will be withheld, if not absolutely lost, by the reputation of weakness. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure the peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war."
    --George Washington

Credits
    Savings
    jenrmurray

Homework done... in spades This type of stuff was drilled into our Plt. during Boot Camp. We had a Jr. D.I. that was a nitpicker for the details.

What was the muzzle velocity of the M16A2,,,,

.....if the M16A2 weighs 6.5 lbs empty, and a loaded M16A2 weighs 8.2 lbs with 20 round magazine, the how much does a fully loaded magazine pouch with 20 round magazines weigh....... (I'm guessing at the weights)

Stuff like that he would throw at us, and we QUIT doing pushups when somebody got it right

QUOTE:
    Part 2:
    Formations are expected to come to the POA when they are given the command to fall in. (?)

I'm gonna throw this out for open discussion:
    When given the Command "FALL OUT", you may break ranks and disperse, but must remain in the general area. IS THIS STILL CONSIDERED A FORMATION, until told to "FALL IN"

leroy8541:

"ATTENTION ON DECK" probably does fall under customs and courtesies (ours was a 'red' monster) but those do not consider "FORMATIONS".

This week is rather an anniversary for me, I earned my anchor
    and globe some 62 years ago. It was rough in those days, but
    like the rest of them we lived thru it and became a Marine for life
    and am still proud to say I am a United States Marine, Semper Fi
    Gene

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    G392339,

If my math is correct, you enlisted several months BEFORE Pearl Harbor.

Your post was in the Poolee Forum. I guess, like me, you're checking up to make sure the continuation of our Corps is in good hands.

I've been hanging around here for over a year, and from what I can see, our brothers can continue to Rest in Peace.

A thought just came to me!

How about each graduating recruit being given a medallion and a card? On one side of the medallion would be Old Glory, and the Marine Corps Colors, on the reverse would be the name of a Marine KIA. The card would give dates and an info blurb as to who, what, when and where.

And perhaps a message from "him".

As for the message, perhaps a Corps wide contest (veterans only) for the most appropriate one.

"Marine, when you've given all you've got to give, call on me, and I'll take over the rest of the way."

OR

"I left some unfinished business behind, with your help, we can finish it together."

OR

?????????
    ----------------

And to you Sir, I say Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Lance Corporal,

My vote goes with no, you are not a formation once told to fall out, even if you must remain in the general area. Once given the command to fall out, you can do things that you are definitely not allowed to do in formation, like look around or talk. So therefore, I do not think you are still considered in formation.

I asked my husband (a Marine) if he thought there was a name for what you were after given the command to fall out. He said, with a laugh, "ya, 'on libo.'"

Lance Corporal,

My vote is the same as Jen's. I find the command fall out to be a break in formation. While you are to remain in the general area, I think that because you're allowed to speak, look around, and do as you wish you're no longer in formation.

First Sergeant,

I think that's a superb idea! I hope you take it to the powers that be, that possibly it can be initiated.

Thread Information