Son hurt anlke bad at SOI
Create Post

Son hurt anlke bad at SOI

Since about two week ago ,my son has been telling me his ankle is jacked up pretty bad he refuses to see a corpsman about it because he is afraid he won't graduate on time. I told him to try and wrap it and elevate it and rest it of course. After gradhe is going to SF school and I hope he will seek help as soon as he gets there. Is this the norm for Marines to endure injuries? The sgts must see him limping so I hope they know he's not at his best and give him a break.

Only stupid Marines ignore injuries,if not properly treated it could lead to an end of his Marine Corps career.

Wow..thanks for the quick response. I will relay the message to him and make sure he takes care of it. I guess he is just trying to suck it up as they say but if it is serious it definately needs to be treated properly. thank you!

I sucked up damage to my knees. Never mentioned it until my running was affected, situps were affected...walking was affected. After hiding the issue and just doing the best I could do... I had something pop in my right knee during a PFT, I finally broke down and went to see a Doc. They asked me how long I had the issue. Told them the truth and was told had I come in when I first did the damage... it probably could have had it repaired. The only thing that could be done was to remove the meniscus in my knee. Now that was probably 74. Now I am looking at getting my right knee replaced and perhaps the left as well.

Sucking it up is crazy. Tell him THAT for me!

Thank you for sharing your story. Im sure it will ring true to my son and carry alot of weight in making him understand that his he has only one body and to take care of it and not take needless risks.
    With sincerest appreciation for your sage advice,
    Wayne

As A Former Corpman I Recommend Him To Go To Medical Because It Might Be Broken But You Need To Get An Xray Done> So He Doesnt Further Injure Himself> Wish Your Son The Best Sir,

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

I told the high school coach that i'll let my shoulder blow out before getting pinned like a fish. Because i don't want to lose my spot at 168.

He said something like: well that's fine and dandy, but what good will you be to us even as an alternate if you've only got one good arm

Tell Him to get it looked at the sooner the better. The Only Good Marine Is A Strong Marine. Not One that said I can suck it up. This is no good to him or any of his buddies that are with him tell Him that SSGT. Francisco

Thanks SSGT, I will definately get him straightened out about this! I also told his new wife (she also knows about his ankle) to get on him to have it looked at. Believe me, he is a tough and smart kid and he wants more than anything to make his contribution to the Corps. I have seen the strength of character grow in him by leaps and bounds and I'm sure your logic will make pure sense to him.
    Thank you all for your interest and I know now my son has found a new family in the Corps.
    Semper fi !!

Ankle injuries are tough, and if it is that bad,,, he will probably have issues throughout his life. And since we spend our lives on our feet,, it is tough to make them really heal. I have had bad ankles since I was a kid,, I had to have them taped for all practices and games for all HS sports I played. The only thing that saved me in the Corps is most of the things they do is done with boots on. And a lot of 800mg Motrin after.

These days I run about 20 - 25 miles a week, but I wear hiking boots to avoid/mitigate the bad ankle turns,, but I've come to realize it's something I will have to deal with for life.

They make some pretty good orthopedic braces nowadays,, he should look into one. I have a good one that I use the day after a good turn, it slows my pace down, but still allows me to get out there and get some.

Any updates on his situation? If he hasn't gone to medical yet he needs to ASAP. Not wanting to go because of a grad date is one thing, but the longer he puts it off, the bigger the chance of him injuring the Marines around him is going to be. As a grunt we carry allot of ammunition, explosives, etc... The last thing I want to read about in the newspaper is how a Marine's ankle gave out and caused his rifle to negligently discharge into a fellow Marine. If anything, tell him to do it for Chesty, he'll know what it means.

He really needs to go to medical to have his ankle looked at. Ive seen too many vets at the VA have trouble with compensation injuries year after they exit the Marine Corps because they "sucked it up" and didnt have their injuries documented in their Service Medical Records.

His azz should be going to sickbay, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by 0351 Corporal View Post
    Any updates on his situation? If he hasn't gone to medical yet he needs to ASAP. Not wanting to go because of a grad date is one thing, but the longer he puts it off, the bigger the chance of him injuring the Marines around him is going to be. As a grunt we carry allot of ammunition, explosives, etc... The last thing I want to read about in the newspaper is how a Marine's ankle gave out and caused his rifle to negligently discharge into a fellow Marine. If anything, tell him to do it for Chesty, he'll know what it means.

Rest assured he will get to sickbay. I spoke to him and texted him about this ; he received the message well and agreed he has to have an xray done. I made it clear to him that it was for his platoon-mates sake as well as for his own good. I explained to him that it's unsafe to hide an injury even though he thinks its was for his own valid reasons, so in other words it's the big picture that really matters and selflessness is the way to go!

Thanks again to all concerned and I will give updates as to his recovery!!

Thread Information