A few Questions for the Few and the Proud
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A few Questions for the Few and the Proud

Soon, I will join the ranks of the most elite military fighhting force in the world. I ship out for MCRD San Diego on March 3rd 2003. (Much too long a wait if you ask me)
    My questions are as follows:

I have already picked up PFC through the refferal program. I wish to be the best Marine I can possibly be, and was wondering if I could get a few pointers.
    Also, how would I go about picking up LC in training?
    I have heard rumor that this is very difficult, and entails being Company Honor man. Can I get some light shed on this?
    I have asked my recruiter about it, but he is always busy, and doesn't seem to think I am serious about my commitment. I am Damned serious. I even jumped up on the guys desk, and told him "I WILL BE A MARINE." the day I went in for my first meeting... heh heh heh... funny story actually...
    Anyway, I appreciate any help you guys can give.
    Over,
    (soon to be)PFC Birchett

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I hope that someone here with present or recent experience as a D.I. will respond.

You will be a private until graduation day. Tou will graduate with PFC chevrons on your uniform.

I'm not sure if you can make L/Cpl, even as Seres Honor Man.

For Series Honor Man you will be competing aganst 300+ others.

I have two thoughts about announcing your Contract PFC status. One is that you will stand out, and the D.I.'s will be all over your butt, expecting more from you. Also, since buddies will be cmpeting for a limit number of Meritorious PFC slots, there MAY be some jealousy.

On the other hand, if you want to be considered for Platoon Honor Man and/or Series Honor Man, you need to show more and take more than all of the other recruits.

IF you don't pack the gear, it would be foolish to bring unnecessary attention to yourself. However, if you get it, and take it, you will be a better Marine and a better man for it.

Whether by design, or just human nature, I always felt that D.I.s placed recruits in three catagories, bottom 10%, middle 80%, and top 10%.

One last note. It is a feather in a D.I.'s cap to have graduated the Series Honorman. Therefore, if THEY think you have what it takes, stand by, because you're in for a rough ride.

There's some info on the other thread, Poollee forum about this very matter. Too many different posts to go into here.

First Sergeant, we got a couple of Recruiters and DI's running around. I hope they got time to drop by and give the kid the current skinny.

When I went through in 76, we were recruits. Didn't have any rank til we graduated 'cept fer keepin' tha pay straight.

One caution, though. Our platoon guide picked up PFC outta boot. They gave it too him 'cause he was bigger and meaner than the rest of us. I saw him three years later just before he got out. He was still a PFC. On the other hand, rank ain't always everything sometimes. On the third hand....he WAS dumber than a rock to begin with! LOL.

Bones it was the same way in boot camp in1955

In thoses days they called them sections leaders They always picked the biggest guy because he use to hold thump call every nightwhen things were not going right. Our Section leader was called Big John and he was a big one 6'8" and 240 lbs. This was befoe McKean lost the recruites in the swamp. Anyway the last time I saw Big John on Okinawa, just before we shipped home, I was a cpl. and he was a pvt. Oh I forgot, the power went to his head in boot camp and he received a blanket party out at the rifle range.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all notes and advice I can get.
    I am prepared to do all the work I can to be the best, if I wasn't, I would've joined the Army (heh heh)
    No offense to the Army though, my dad was a sergant, but I want to be the BEST not second rate.
    I know I will not have the title of PFC until graduation, but I do get the pay bonus in recruit training correct?
    Over,
    Poolee Birchett

Ask yer recruiter. That stuff changes from time to time.

Hate to be the 'hang dog' here but it amazes me that any youngster, who has yet to set his feet on the deck, is anything but an E-1 Pvt boot. Seems to me that all should start in the same place--at the bottom of the civilian junk pile--and earn that first stripe up and more. I do not understand going through boot camp knowing you already have the first stripe when you haven't earned the title Marine yet.

That being said I wish Mr. Darwin Greed well--interesting moniker.

Registered User Free Member earlz's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Darwin: While your humor is great keep it inside at Boot Camp. It will make you stick out and as others have responded will put the DI's all over you like flies on a pile of s---t on a hot day!
    When I enlisted August 1968, let me give you the advice an old DI I knew gave me. 1. Keep your mouth shut unless answering a question or providing a proper response. 2. If it moves salute it, if it doesn't paint it green. 3. Do not try and do your best, do it, only losers try and Marines are winners.
    The Marines are a Team and if you work as a Team and show leadership helping the Team achieve its' mission, that is how you will receive your rewards.
    One final word, you are still a civie in skivies and when you arrive at Disneyland (real Marines go to P.I.) you will be a Boot! Good Luck and Semper Fi!

Earlz

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    you jumped on his desk and you are still walking? you gotta remember although they are recruiters and are being friendly to you they are still MARINES and they probably outrank you! From the way you are talking on this forum you have probably p**#@ed him off. I was a recruiter myself for a while that was a job I had to do for the Corp. My real job was a scout sniper in 1st recon battalion. You have to remember that when you go talking to your recruiter , give him the respect that he has earned, he will more than likely find the time to answer your questions more promptly! You go talking to him like he is the enemy or your buddy he will probably ignore you or find you a place in the marine corp that you probably won't like. We reffered to it as the green weeny. So use your head a little more tact and you will go alot farther in the Marine Corp. Good Luck and Sempers!

my two cents worth

You fellers will note that I've been REAL nice to this guy! LOL.

One more post like that one though.....

Re: A few Questions for the Few and the Proud

Originally posted by Darwins Greed
    ....I have already picked up PFC through the refferal program. I have asked my recruiter about it, but he is always busy, and doesn't seem to think I am serious about my commitment. I am Damned serious. I even jumped up on the guys desk, and told him "I WILL BE A MARINE." the day I went in for my first meeting... heh heh heh... funny story actually...
    (soon to be)PFC Birchett
    "Jumped up on the guys desk, and told him "I WILL BE A MARINE,"

You would have been a flying scumbag, if you had done that in any Marine recruiting station.

My advice, keep cleaning those movie theatres, if you do a good enough job, they may give you free tickets to see a fictional war movie. I agree with your recruiter, you're not gona make it!

Credits
    Savings

Angry

you got to be kidding, PFC before you even put your feet in the Golden Feet, Talk about Old Corps,New Corps, I went in in 62, there was no mention of this from my recruiter,I feel cheated, and if id have jumped on his desk, id have found myself out side on the sidewalk, under a trash heap, i was a stupid kid at that age, but not that stupid, he was probably the first man in my life i called sir, each and every time i opened my mouth, i did earm my PFC stripes in boot, had them sewn on two weeks prior to graduation,however due to making an unauthorized phone call to my girl friend at the time, i was standing tall at graduation with the imprint of former PFC stripes on my sleeves,as for L/cpl by graduation , are they going to do like other services, E/7 in four years,H*** i got combat promotion to E/5 and thought i was King S***, it seems like nothing is worth nothing anymore, bring back the old Corps, where something meant working your A** off for it

Registered User Free Member hobbit's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You'd better watch how you approach this idea of lance corporal. After the DI's get done with you, you belong to the platoon. If you really want to carry the guidon keep your sh*t squared away. Screw up once and your out of there.

Registered User Free Member Barndog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'll tell ya this much..... In my time, as in Bone's time.... those who came in with 'rank' - had it a helluva lot tougher than most. And if you think your Drill Instructors don't know that?
    You also think that PFC from refferals is gonna get you guide?
    I was guide thru 1st phase. Until initial drill when I f**ked up and bounced the guide-on off the deck. While watching my Senior's eyes go blood red.
    Needless to say, those first few days at Edson Range, I became real familiar with every sandpit.
    And even though I did not graduate as guide, or as PFC, I still marched Final Drill as Guide.
    It's whats in your heart, not your mouth. Tact.

Whoa Marines!
    I see taht my post was taken the wrong way by just about everyone here. Sorry 'm not to great with words. When I said "I jumped on his desk and said: I will be a Marine" that was after, HE got on his desk, offered me his hand and said: "Are you willing to do what it takes to become a Marine?"
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for the men and women of our nations armed forces. If I came off a little cocky and self righteous in my messages, I appologize, this was not the image I wanted to portray. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is **** off a bunch of Marines!
    Yes, I know getting anywhere in the Corps is going to take a lot of hard work and 110% dedication. The opportunity presented itself to recieve an early promotion, and I took it. I am sure that if the same opportunity had been presented to you, I think at least a few of you wouldv'e taken it. Look at it this way, Now, in addition to me, you've got 2 more fine young men enlisted in the Corps.
    I am dedicated, and I am willing to do the work to the best of my ability.
    Again If I offended you, sorry. Happy Thanksgiving, and Semper Fi
    Over,
    Birchett

Thread Information