How do you get Back in - Page 8
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Getting back in

I got out in '99 as well. I am currently in the National Guard. I ETS Jan 09. I am currently an E-5 however, I was promoted to Staff Sergeant in the IRR. I never bothered following up on that since I intended to go officer in the Guard. My question is, how long would it take me to get back in a Reserve unit and would I be an E-6?
    Thanks.

Honorable Sep under medical Conditions off of Active Durty, back in the Reserve side now...had an RE-3P. Took over a year working with a PSR.
    I passed the physical and paper work went through BUMED. Now...at 38, I am a Sgt in the reserve. Damn, I feel old.

I just put my package in Tuesday night. Waiting to go to MEPS.

I recieved a couple PM's with the same questions so I thought I would throw everything about getting back in out here.

I had a physical disability sep and an RE 3P which was waived after a physical and going through BUMED. The reserve side was my only option right now as I have a VA disabilty rating and because of the waiver process, broken contract etc...

This whole deal takes some time...contact a local PSR (PSR LINK) and they will give you the scoop on what you need to do. From my experience, and this may not be 100%, everything is waiverable RE code wise except an RE 4

What really helped out is I had a complete copy of my SRB and MED record, along with VA Med records. Also I had no page 11 or 13 entries. I believe those will cause another waiver clog regardless of how old or serious they are. If you are going for any type of RE Code change through MMRE or any waiver you need as much documentation as you can get your paws on. And it helped that I kept my ass in shape, I don't burn the 3 mile run up by any means, but when I interviewed at the reserve unit, it made a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LawieE4 View Post
    New member here... quick question. Got out, Hon Discharge 20081214, RE-1A, 4 yrs Act Du, Cpl,... What options do I have If I re-enlist?
    Another new member here. I'm also wanting back in. Discharge date is 19990606 with an Honorable Dis. (RE-1), 4 years active duty, E-5, MOS 2621. I know that I am cutting it close age-wise (turning 32 in January). What I would like to know is how do the chances look for prior service to go active again? And if anyone can tell me what rank I would most likely return with? I suppose that E-5 would be out of the question, but one can always hope.

Prior Service reenlistment

Quote Originally Posted by ECC77 View Post
    Another new member here. I'm also wanting back in. Discharge date is 19990606 with an Honorable Dis. (RE-1), 4 years active duty, E-5, MOS 2621. I know that I am cutting it close age-wise (turning 32 in January). What I would like to know is how do the chances look for prior service to go active again? And if anyone can tell me what rank I would most likely return with? I suppose that E-5 would be out of the question, but one can always hope.
    Welcom Devil dog!!!
    As far as I know, u keep ur rank, but loose ur time in grade, and they will send u back to ur unit.
    However, please note that it is a long process, 'cause prior service recruiters are not as fast....it could take up to 6 months...also about the age they do what they called reconstructive age...they take ur 4yrs active and deducted from ur age...and the max for prior service is 32..however what they look for is that when u turn 20 yrs of service, u are 55..so u will be ok..
    What u have to do is contact ur prior service recruiter....I'm on the process to go back also and I'm also got out on 1999 as a Sgt...I start my process at the end of October 23 2008, and still no papers yet form HQ Marines..so keep motivated and call ur PSR like every day to bug him if this is what u want...it is for me...

Semper Fi !!!
    SGT RC

Thanks for the info so quick. Losing time in grade is not that important to me. I thought they would bust me down to Lcpl or something just for being gone so long. Glad to hear that it is still possible to get in. Now about a bonus....

Thanks for the info so quick. Losing time in grade is not that important to me. I thought they would bust me down to Lcpl or something just for being gone so long. Glad to hear that it is still possible to get in. Now about a bonus....

Same here..all I want is to get in ASAP...be out too long and I missed...on the bonuses..I really don't know..what I know is depend ur MOS...

bonus or not I would still go in. It would just make it nicer to get back on my feet. Living in Germany right now and would have to start over from scratch. I left the M.C. for a girl and realized it wasn't the right choice.
    I remember the last time I was in calling someone a Devil Dog would have been an insult (basically only really new Marines were called that), now I would welcome it.

bonus or not I would still go in. It would just make it nicer to get back on my feet. Living in Germany right now and would have to start over from scratch. I left the M.C. for a girl and realized it wasn't the right choice.
    I remember the last time I was in calling someone a Devil Dog would have been an insult (basically only really new Marines were called that), now I would welcome it.
    I don't really care about the bonus neither..just want to get back in.. I'd been living in Costa Rica for the last 10 yrs...can't complaint...I left because I have some personal goals to make and may be proof to myself..got married, have my kids and a bought a home...however something was always missing...
    Know I have this opportunity and believe me, as God is my witness, I'm going back..more mature of course, different thinking that the first time...
    I know the second time is a better experience..for fact... I will enjoy more

Last edited by SGT RC; 11-28-08 at 08:40 AM. Reason: misspeling

I've got plenty of experience in this matter.... I've done more research than most of the recruiters you've been talking to... so please if you have questions contact me and I'll attempt to answer them as best I can.

remember, some of your situations are not the same as others, I'll hopefully be able to dig through the quagmire of possibilities and get you what you need.

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    I've got plenty of experience in this matter.... I've done more research than most of the recruiters you've been talking to... so please if you have questions contact me and I'll attempt to answer them as best I can.

remember, some of your situations are not the same as others, I'll hopefully be able to dig through the quagmire of possibilities and get you what you need.

Semper Fi.
    Ok I called my PSR at the end of October and still don't have my package back from HQ...ok how long u think will take? Will I keep my rank( E 5)? and How will be the process? I mean unifom wise ect...do I will get back to my unit?
    Please note that I have been living in Costa Rica for about 10 yrs...been out that long I'm 34 yrs and did 4 years on AD 1995 - 99

Mine is an Honorable RE-3P, and I'm still trying.

look guys... don't comment if you are not in the same boat... Twitchell you are a lance... you need to be able to enlist for 48 months per the order... you have no chance buddy unless you pick up in the IRR... then you'll need to get rid of the 3p.... there are ways of getting that to be removed.

if you're still in the IRR then I want you to hit me up and treat it as time sensitive.

RC... you may need a waiver for your age since your "corrected" age is 30. You're PSR is the wrong person to talk to about going active duty... you need to be treated as a new join again and goto your recruiters office where you first signed up down there... then you'll need to goto meps again and you'll need to get your OMPF since you're a Sgt... you need all your fitreps for your paperwork to get back in.

if you have anymore questions then please hit me up... I think I'm the current duty expert on this topic now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    look guys... don't comment if you are not in the same boat... Twitchell you are a lance... you need to be able to enlist for 48 months per the order... you have no chance buddy unless you pick up in the IRR... then you'll need to get rid of the 3p.... there are ways of getting that to be removed.

if you're still in the IRR then I want you to hit me up and treat it as time sensitive.

RC... you may need a waiver for your age since your "corrected" age is 30. You're PSR is the wrong person to talk to about going active duty... you need to be treated as a new join again and goto your recruiters office where you first signed up down there... then you'll need to goto meps again and you'll need to get your OMPF since you're a Sgt... you need all your fitreps for your paperwork to get back in.

if you have anymore questions then please hit me up... I think I'm the current duty expert on this topic now...
    Thanks for the info SSgt..I signed in and went to meps in Richmond VA...I contact SSgt Green in Richmond VA...I'm going to US in 2 weeks to go to the office and talk to him..and get all my paperwork, do my pft...so should I talk to a normal recruiter? If he tell me to go to a PSR?

I'm so ready to go..but it is frustraiting that they don't move fast..I turn in my papers more that a month ago....

Thread Information