hit a plateau
Create Post

Thread: hit a plateau

msf
    Guest Free Member

hit a plateau

ever sinec my join date on this site i have lost 30 pounds. i went from running 1 mile in 10 minutes to 3 in 24 minutes (my fasted yet). i started to increase mileage every 2 weeks, i started at 1 , then MWF thent he next week, then i went to 1.5. however im stuck at 2.5 miles right now and my times are getting slower. i usually run 2.5 miles MWF then lift then on tues and thurs i play basketball when time permits then i do my push ups and abs. any suggestions to help me. should i keep doing 2.5 miles then afterwards run sprints. should i run hills on sats and suns? any help is greatly appreciated

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'd recommend running 3-4 miles with a 15-20 second sprint for each mile. Remember to always push yourself harder then the last time so that you get faster instead of staying the same.

If you're running on a track try jogging the straights and sprinting the curves.

Run with a 20 to 40 pound ruck or back pack on and run, the first 2 miles are killer but then around 4 miles it starts to get easier because the body regenerates an energy burst

if uve been running for a while... you need to start doing this... IT WORKS

Sunday: distance (5 miles at a relatively slow pace)
    Monday: Hills... find a large steep hill... run up it, jog down, run up, jog down etc. (try at least 5)
    Tuesday: Speed work (4 400s, 6 200s, 8 100s)
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: 3 mile (15-20 seconds slower per mile then your current PFT)
    Friday: easy 2 mile jog
    Saturday: off

you can lift and run on the same day dont worry about that... just drink plenty of water with this routine... A LOT... probably 1/2 gallon to a gallon a day... and banannas for recovery ( you can also drink a glass of salt water to get the same effect of the banannas, not as good a taste however)

(Id like to add that on Wednesdays or Saturdays, what i do is time a 1.5 IST or a 3 PFT if im up for it... to see if im making improvement... which you definetly will if u follow this.

Smalcom, that looks like an awesome routine. I think i am going to start using it.... What do you consider "a large steep hill"? Also, how long recovery do take in between the sprints? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by servehard
    Run with a 20 to 40 pound ruck or back pack on and run, the first 2 miles are killer but then around 4 miles it starts to get easier because the body regenerates an energy burst
    Do not follow this poolee's advice. The risk of injury is simply not worth it and it is completely unnecessary to subject your knees and joints to such high stresses as a poolee.

a large steep hill i would say like hmmm its hard to explain... like maybe 300-400 yards or more

and teh sprints i rest 40 seconds on each 400 (then a 2 minute break) then 20 seconds on teh 200s (another 2 minute break) then 10-15 seconds on teh 100s

however multiply all those times by 2 if you arent up to it (and just starting out i advise this... this will kill you fast)

and a thing about the salt water ( if your willing to try that ) you need salt that has potassium in it... ( a main ingredient ) a good one is Morton's Lite Salt... it doesnt have as much sodium and has a milder taste... and has the same effect on recovery as banannas do

cool, thanks Smalcom

anytime

Thread Information