Corps approves uniform alterations for wounded veterans
Create Post

Cool Corps approves uniform alterations for wounded veterans

February 08, 2006
    Corps approves uniform alterations for wounded veterans

By Beth Zimmerman
    Times staff writer

The Marine Corps recently clarified its uniform alteration policy for wounded combat veterans. According to a Corps-wide message released Feb. 3, more Marines and sailors with serious combat injuries are being allowed to remain in the service instead of being medically discharged due to the extent of their injuries.

Since some of those Marines and sailors require uniform alterations, MarAdmin 56/06 announced the new policy for every Marine and sailor assigned to Marine units who may need a uniform alteration due to their injuries.

“Wounded Marines [and] sailors retained on active duty may require extensive tailoring to their uniforms or complete uniform replacement as the result of a medical profile change (including amputations),” the message said. It directed commanders to make sure the Marines in their command apply for uniform replacements or alterations as needed.

The Corps will pay for the necessary alterations to ensure functionality, as long as the alterations “maintain the smart military appearance Marines are legendary for.”

For example, a service coat could be fastened with Velcro, instead of buttons, “to simplify donning.” In that case, the buttons would be permanently sewn onto the overlap, the message said.

Ellie

Im really happy to hear some good news about our Corps taking care of its own. I would have been really disapointed if some beuracratic b.s. would have prevented common sense to prevail.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm glad to hear that the Marine Corps is utilizing its manpower resources (wounded combat veterans); I think that the British Royal Marines have always done this and it is good to know that a common sense solution has been agreed apon regarding appropriate uniform alterations.
    I'd like to hear of more instances where wounded combat veterans have been kept in the Marine Corps to help train the always incoming cadre of recruits and Marines.

Thread Information