If no Marine Corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    how about no "what if" questions.... it hasnt happened it never will

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK
    Ok, Im sure we have all heard about the various time in this country's history where people in various parts of the government have called for the disbannedment of the Marine Corps. So this question is for everyone, wannabebes, poolees and Marines. Where would you be or where would you have gone if there was no Marine Corps?
    The only proper response to a question like this is to cite the famous quote by James Forrestal, the former Secretary of the Navy during WW2.

"The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."

Credits
    Savings
    I would be a miserable soldier in the Army.

I would probably join the Air force... *shrugs*

If there was no Marine Corps.... Hmmm.... Well honestly I would not really know if I would want to join another branch. The Marine Corps is what makes me interested in the military. Without the Marine Corps I would probably end up in four years living in a horribly trashed apartment with no money for rent, and I would have no sense of direction. I would be a person without a purpose.

Considering the fact that the Army has the highest KIA in Iraq I'd say the Marine Corps will be around for a long time!

General Victor Kurlak once post that question to the Commandant of the Marine Corps because the Commandant wanted answer on why a Marine Corps.
    So General Victor Krulak asked What if there was no Marine Corps, other service could do amphibious operations as well as we do, there service to could do close air support as well as we do.
    So why the need of a Marine Corps, but there has been a need and we have answered the call of our Nation.
    Before 1775 to now in 2006, many have tried to disband or get rid of the Marine Corps, but we survived because we have done all of the above.
    Many wrote off the 1st Marine Division in North Korea in the 50's but those Marine were not about to die in North Korea...
    There will be no Marine Corps when men and women of the statue of those gone before and now are active will no longer exist in this nation

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Focus Fate
    Considering the fact that the Army has the highest KIA in Iraq I'd say the Marine Corps will be around for a long time!
    To keep those numbers in perspective you'll have to look at the number of total troops, the amount KIA and what percentage that represents.

IE: 100K Army soldiers in Iraq, 1250 dead=1.25%
    30K Marines in Iraq, 500 dead=1.67%

In that example, the Army has lost more troops but has a smaller percentage of KIAs.

Don't know what the actual numbers are, but you catch my dritf.

America has a Marine Corps because Amercia wants a Marine Corps.

Thread Information