Food at Basic? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food at Basic?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Rdy2gopoolie,

Is Sgt Kinney your recruiter? If there are any Marines up near this young pup how about droping by in Prince Frederick Maryland. Well, I guess if the recruiter doesn't answer your questions you are in the correct place then. We will do are best for you. The best up to date information is from Marines that have recently graduated. Be patient and ask the questions as they come to you.

Yes, sir. Although i'd rather not bother because i can find the answers to my questions on my own, i dont want to get anyone in trouble, and i think if someone did say something then that might just make things worse. I will.

EDIT:on my own as in with this site and other sources that i have found.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Rdy2gopoolie,

Not that I don't have the time but there are Marine Mentors on this board too. Did you know that..?? There are literally hundreds if not thousands of year experience here on this site.

with all due respect, i'm not going to call my recruiter for a simple question like that. i've been WAY enough of a pain in the a** to him due to all the questions i've had about altering my contract, and random questions i've called to ask. maybe thats normal, but i've called ALOT. thats why i'm glad i found this site. and one thing i've learned is that recuiters are ordinary Marines. they sure as hell don't know everything about the Marine Corps.
    i've said before.. when i talk to my recruiters with a question he cant answer, i never seem to GET the answer.
    every Marine is going to have a different amount of experience with the Corps, in different fields. so on this site, i get great answers from a variety of Marines who, when combined, can get me any answer i need. and i didnt really understand what you just said..

Quote Originally Posted by GySgtRet
    Zippo,

I am glad to see you pipe in finally... I am what you call a Gunnery Sergeant. So if I were you pups I would get some knowledge on the Marine Corps Rank structure.
    again, all due respect, but... "pipe in"? what do you mean? i've been active on this forum for a while.. also, what did i say to give you the impression i dont know my insignia?

hahaha, rdy2gopoolie, you are SO right. when i'm there i just feel like i'm wasting his time and he's just waiting to shuffle me out.

Hehe cool glad im not the only one that feels that way. I suppose it's their job to get us signed and then it's done after that. Which is fine, like i said i've figured out alternatives to going to my recruiter for answers. This site and its members have been a tremendous help. Can't wait for boot though!!

Hunger is the best seasoning.

With the change in your eating habits when you are at MCRD, comes constipation. One of the ways to cure it is to drink coffee with at least 4/5 spoons of sugar in it. Mother Nature will be sure to call your name by the next morning or sooner.

P.S. There is nothing worse than a platoon full of recruits who are full of it.

That was kind of another reason I was checking to see if there was going to be access to fruits and vegetables. If I can eat enough nice, leafy, greens I can probably get enough fiber to stay "regular".

Now I sound like an old man.

But seriously, constipation sucks. Although, a quick cure for it, in case anyone was ever wondering, is to take some non-iodized salt, mix it in with about a quart of water, and guzzle it. Your body can't absorb salt water so it just spits it right out.

I've had to do that on week or 10 day backpacking trips before because all you're eating are these super starchy and high protein freeze dried meals.

And that's enough of my tales of poop :/

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As I recall - a "few" years ago, the first two days at PI we didn't get very much to eat - somehow you sort of lost your appetite with the Drill Instructors' boot in your tray - I guess that was for "flavoring" the meal with leather!! I thought, if every day is gonna be like this, I would like to request to go to the "other" Recruit Depot!! After that, you just "wolfed" everything down as fast as you could & back to the old drawing board again, but part of this was they cut our stay a PI by 2 weeks - but expected us to go thru every bit of training regardless!! So everyting was rush - rush!!
    When I hear what Marines eat today - it just turns my stomach!! Marine chow is supposed to be somewhat bad - otherwise you'd eat too much & gain weight!! Eating steak & lobster & such - its almost "UnAmerican" to hear that our beloved Corps has reduced itself to such "fine dining"!! And when you did get to your duty station - when you had a little "time" to eat, you still had to mix the eggs, s.o.s., potatoes, etc. all up in a mess, to be able to stomach the food. Are you guys that mentioned you loved the chow sure that it was a Marine Chow hall you were in?? I even remember when one disgruntled Marine mixed liquid soap in the pancakes!! That really sucked big time!!! When I was overseas, my buddy & I would plead with the guard on the back gate to let us thru, we'd run over to the Air Force side, take off our covers & any chevrons or identifying gear and eat at their chow hall every chance we got - that was like Heaven!!! I still remember eating (or trying to eat) the roast beef we got at Danang every so often - you know the kind that looked like a rainbow of colors??? I still preferred the C-Rats to most meals. At least you didn't have to worry whether you got the "scoots" or food posioning - which happened all too frequently. And you didn't have to worry about eating a roach or two either!! Enjoy your meal!! SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    lovedog,

I t is that you refer to enjoying the Marine Corps chow while at recruit traing. The resaon is that there wasn't anything else anyway and I really couldn't have changed it. Believe me I preferred the "C" rats to the Marine Corps chow. But then towards the last part at Parris Island it wasn't too bad. Those were the days lovedog.

Sounds like the chow served in the Recruit Depot's these days is right next to "Pogy Bait".

It used to be Green Liver, Mac and Cheese that tasted like chalk, and other great dishes. The best being SOS made with hamburger not chip beef.

Thread Information