Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Whats a good marine Book to read?

Yeah thats my question?

i got one

The Journal of Patrick Flaherty. It's a very good marine book about vietnam.

A great book to read is "My dying breath". Its about a young boot who goes to Vietnam. From a young Marines perspective inside a fireteam and a squad. Probably one of the best I have read. Some other really good ones are

Battle Cry

Guns Up!

Sniper ( one shot one kill)

and Fields of Fire. Its not a Marine book at all but just a bad ass book about true warriors.

hope this helps out.

Flags of our Fathers
    Chesty
    The Old Breed
    Making the Corps
    The March Up
    Jarhead
    Fortuate Son
    Fields of Fire
    Any of James Brady's Marine books

Sand in the Wind is also a good book to read - in addition to the others named above.

i enjoyed silent warriors. about marine recon

13 Cent Killers
    Dear Mom
    Marine!
    Boot

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Book Description
    “It’s not easy to stay alive with a $1,000 bounty on your head.”

In 1967, a bullet cost thirteen cents, and no one gave Uncle Sam a bigger bang for his buck than the 5th Marine Regiment Sniper Platoon. So feared were these lethal marksmen that the Viet Cong offered huge rewards for killing them. Now noted Vietnam author John J. Culbertson, a former 5th Marine sniper himself, presents the riveting true stories of young Americans who fought with bolt rifles and bounties on their heads during the fiercest combat of the war, from 1967 through the desperate Tet battle for Hue in early ’68.

In spotter/shooter pairs, sniper teams accompanied battle-hardened Marine rifle companies like the 2/5 on patrols and combat missions. Whether fighting their way out of a Viet Cong “kill zone” or battling superior numbers of NVA crack troops, the sniper teams were at the cutting edge in the art of jungle warfare, showing the patience, stealth, combat marksmanship, and raw courage that made the unit the most decorated regimental sniper platoon in the Vietnam War. Harrowing and unforgettable, these accounts pay tribute to the heroes who made the greatest sacrifice of all–and leave no doubt that among 5th Marine snipers uncommon valor was truly a common virtue.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13cent.jpg‎
Views:	165
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4212  

As I was!...... the book I was thinking about is Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.

Credits
    Savings
    Making of the Corps, and Boot are good ones if you're headed to boot camp. There was another one I read that was really good, but I can't seem to remember the title of it...

Currently reading one (when i have the time to) called The Proud Bastards, which is a first-hand account from Bootcamp to Vietnam. Definitely love it, doesn't hold nothing back and tells it from the grunt perspective.

I suggest you check it out.

boooksss

Generation Kill.... is a bout 1st recon in Iraq

No true glory.... is about operation Phantom Fury (Fallujah)

best books in my opinion

Heroes: U.S. Marine Corps Medal of Honor Winners

I just bought it off Amazon.com last week on closeout for only $5.99! It's an awesome book and tells the story of every single Marine who has been awarded the Medal of Honor, doesn't get any better than that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/042...lance&n=283155

A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo
    Shane Comes Home by Rinker Buck....just two more worthwhile reads

Making the Corps, Boot, The Proud, Into the Crucible and Generation Kill are all very good books

Thread Information