Usmc 40 Years Ago, February, 1966
Create Post

Cool Usmc 40 Years Ago, February, 1966

USMC 40 YEARS AGO, FEBRUARY, 1966

Marine Corps Air power saw the rotation of Squadrons VMF(AW)-235 into Vietnam relieving VMF(AW)-312 and VMA-311 relieving VMA-214. Operation DOUBLE EAGLE I and II were taking place 30 miles south of Danang, with command headquarters in Chu Lai. Task Force Delta, DOUBLE EAGLE I, included the 3rd Marine Division, 3rd Battalion 1st Marines; 2nd Battalion 9th Marines; 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines; 2nd Battalion 4th Marines; 1st AmTrac Battalion; 3rd Recon Battalion; 3rd Engineer Battalion; 12th Marines (Artillery); along with countless subordinate commands and units set forth in the Operation Double Eagle After Action Reports. (116 pages long) DOUBLE EAGLE II, included 3rd Marine Division; 2nd Battalion 1st Marines; 2nd Battalion 9th Marines; 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines; 2nd Battalion 7th Marines; 3rd Recon Battalion; 3rd Engineer Battalion; 12th Marines; along with countless subordinate commands and units set forth in the Operation Double Eagle After Action Reports. (116 pages long) The 1st Marine Air Wing included squadron Operational Support from MAG-11; MAG-12; MAG-16; and, MAG-36. B-52 bombing strikes in Double Eagle I were conducted by USAF aircraft.

The mission purpose was to conduct operations in the assigned tactical area of responsibility in southern QUANG NGAI Province (Double Eagle I) and in central QUANG TIN Province (Double Eagle II) to locate and destroy enemy forces. Marine Corps losses for DOUBLE EAGEL I were 22 KIA, 4 DOW, 156 WIA. Enemy losses were 312 confirmed KIA, 87 possible KIA; 69 WIA; captured enemy and suspects totaled 297. In DOULBLE EAGLE II, Marine Corps losses are reported as 5 KIA; 1 DOW; 136 WIA. Enemy losses were 125 confirmed KIA; 39 possible KIA; 28 WIA; captured enemy and suspects totaled 188.

Intelligence estimates of enemy forces in the operational areas would exceed 7,000, including 6000 regular forces and 700 guerrilla forces. After action intelligence confirmed that the enemy chose to avoid engaging Marine forces, and use smaller harassing attacks, ambushes and the use of mines and booby traps in an attempt to inflict maximum casualties without exposing themselves to direct contact with Marine forces.

The rich content and detailed information contained in the 116 page DOUBLE EAGLE I & II After Action Report dated April 7, 1966, will provide the details of this historical event for those who participated and those interested in what actually happened from the view of the Marines in the field.

www.thevietnamfiles.com

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    That was me,3rd Eng.Bn.I had been incountry just a few months,and this was the 2nd big operation.

That be too. Whiskey 3-12

Thread Information