Greetings from a new poolee.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greetings from a new poolee.

My name is Matt Kinney from Memphis Tennessee. I just recently joined the DEP and my ship date is 15 May, unless anything unforeseeable comes up. That's about all I can think of at the moment, just wanted to introduce myself.

Thanks

Well hey man! GOOD LUCK to you on becoming a U.S.Marine!
    What MOS are you goin into?

Hello Matt. Im Thomas from Backcountry MD. I joined in December ship date is August 7th. Whats your MOS? Mine is Aviation Electrical Tech. Welcome to the site any questions just ask everyone is REALLY helpful here and has tons of info to offer or know places where you can find the answer.

I'm still waiting for confirmation on the MOS. The first I chose was in Intelligence, second was in Engineering and NBC or aircraft/helicopter tech was third.

I was curious if anyone knew how many college credits/GPA someone needed to get promoted? I've been trying to find it, but no luck so far.

awesome. i am not 100% sure but i think its a bachelors to go to OCS.

Ah, I meant to become a PFC. I was told you could do it if you've had some college courses and if you could refer two people to join the USMC.

oh havent heard with college credits but i know with 2 years of JROTC you get E-2 and with 3-4 yrs you get E-3 or if you refer two ppl to the corp and they get a date to go to boot camp you get rank as well but you cant go past E-3. that is my understanding at least.

Welcome, welcome!

Like he already said, this a great community of current, past, and future Marines.

Good luck on becoming a brother of the Corps, Matt. I wish you luck, and I'll see you around the boards.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    its 22 college hours

Quote Originally Posted by Rdy2gopoolie
    oh havent heard with college credits but i know with 2 years of JROTC you get E-2 and with 3-4 yrs you get E-3 or if you refer two ppl to the corp and they get a date to go to boot camp you get rank as well but you cant go past E-3. that is my understanding at least.
    You can leave the depot as a lance corporal, but you can't go past PFC signing up.

there were two lances in my company when i graduated back in sept. both were guides.

How'd they get Lance Corporal?

I thought it was only company honorman who got lance. How did you get two?

Matt,
    Welcome Aboard! May 15, nice ship date, my birthday is the day before. As far as earning and rating Pfc. before you leave for our Island, you can refer a certain number of people to your recruiter who enlist, college credits (although I do not think it is as high as 22, I thought it was in the 15 credit range, not sure), JROTC experience, and then there is being an Eagle Scout. In the Corps you do not "get" anything rank wise, you will rate that rank as the Corps sees fit as you having earned that rank. Earned, never given.
    For the comment regarding OCS, you do not need to be in posession of a bachelor's degree to go, but must be in pursuit of one. Depends on if you are active duty or a reservist, then there are some different ways it can work from there. To all the poolees in here, best of luck on joining the greatest brotherhood you will ever know. Semper Fi!
    L/Cpl. Dewson

You think my ship date is nice? How so, if I may ask? hahaah

Thread Information