Random Question
Create Post

Thread: Random Question

Random Question

I heard from someone that if you own a car, and are making monthly payments on it, that the payments are made for you while in boot camp. Can anyone verify this? Thanks in advance.

negative.....you can talk to your lender and see if they can set you up with paperwork to file under the soldiers and sailors relief act. This act basically provides servicememebers with protection when the are on active duty. To be honest with you Im not sure if it pertains to members when they go to boot camp. That is something you definetly want to discuss with the lender and you might even go online to check it out. My advice to you is try to set up an automatic withdrawl from your bank account that the payment will automatically be withdrawn from every month. This of course will work if you have enough to cover for the time wich you will be gone. When you get to boot camp you will open another account with Pacific Marine, and then once you complet boot camp you can make any other arraingments with regards to you account. All this will help you maintain a positive credit rating. The last thing you want is to go to boot camp and then have to deal with a nightmare of trying to fix your credit.

Semper Fi

thanks outlaw, i am thinking more and more about selling my car, Is this a good idea? Is it smart to have a car while enlisted, or is it just a waste of money? any feedback is appreciated.

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes Hopeful! You're in luck! There is a such a program that was developed by a local lending institution located right in your home town for just this purpose:
    I believe its called "Mom & Dad"!!!!
    It was decided which was more beneficial to their pocketbook?? To send you off to the Marines and possibly pay your car payment for a couple of months or send you to College! After careful deliberations, they decided to take a chance & make you a man first - and while enjoying the sun & surf of the land of milk & honey we refer to as boot camp, and aquiring enough capital to pay for your "own" car payment, then hopefully you would also go on to a higher education plan and pay for your own college to boot!! Then you could go to OCS, in 20 years become a General and your folks could move in with you!! Its the best of both worlds for them!! (Have you ever heard the saying: When I turned 17 I thought my Dad was the dumbest man on earth, but when I turned 20, I was amazed at how smart he got in just 3 years)!!
    Other than that - bite the bullet & pay the piper!! Just be sure to let your lending institution know of your intentions, they may even let you slide with an interest only gig for 3 or 4 months. Its time to cut the apron strings - thats what the Marines will show you and, it'll make your folks proud - you standing on your "own" two feet instead of theirs.
    PS: Your insurance company probably has the same program on their agenda.
    I hope you realize that I'm just bustin' your chops on this - my kids are always looking for an angle in this world too. Remember Rocky?? Rocky Balboa that is? When he was working the docks as a loan shark and he was shaking down this dockworker named "Bob"? He said to Bob - "If you wanta dance, you gotta pay the man"!! You should have planned!! At least in your case you are trying to get a plan going, I'll give you credit for that. Just watch so you don't get your "thumbs broke" in the process, or worse, ruin your credit rating. I wish you well.
    Seriously though, I would say if you do have a good payment history and you need some slack on your payments as you go thru boot camp, most lending institutions would go easy on you. Their chief concern is that they get repaid the money owed to them - just like you do when people borrow from you. Most things in this world are negotiable - and, remember, all they can say is "NO"!! SF

To get to the second question, YES YOU WANT A CAR. If you end up at some bases, it wouldn't be bad to live without one. However, there are other places that pretty much demand you have a way to move yourself from one place to another. Save now and you can ensure the payments are made for those three months (I would save more, incase of injury) and you'll be fine.

Thread Information