washing
Create Post

Thread: washing

washing

do you wash your clothes at boot camp by hand? some one told me that.

When I was on the Island in late December 2003 to 26 March 2004 we did not wash our uniforms by hand. Your MarPats (cammies) get turned in every couple days to the laundry recruits at one of the squadbay and are returned soon thereafter. However, you will be doing lots of washing your squadbay by hand so get ready to earn your Masters in cleaning in a 3 month timespan, so standby!

It may depend on your drill instructors. But I would be willing to bet you will be doing your washing by hand. Atleast until maybe third phase prepare to use some elbow grease. I don't see it as a big deal however, doing hand washed laundry once a week is nothing to complain about.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I hit the yellers in 1967 at MCRD San Deigo I was given what they called the bucket issue, it was a galvanized bucket containing all of our deuce gear aka 742 gear. Then the bucket was to be used for washing our utilities and hanging them on a clothes line to dry in between the quanset huts. When I was walking to the recuit PX and between 3 story recruit barracks that exist today I noticed a room filled with washers and dryers and almost lost my cool. I did however notice there were still wash racks and clothes lines too so I guess both are utilized.

Credits
    Savings
    No, they have washing machines and dryers. Clothes are washed by rifle watch each night.

Credits
    Savings
    Shastalake,

WTF? I don't know who you are, since you don't see fit to fill out your profile, but you are way off base. I went to boot camp in 1987 at MCRD, (if you know what that means) and we used scrub brushes out on the concrete slab to clean our "everydays".

Until you post who you are, or were, or what your intentions might be to commit to the Marines, please keep your opinion to yourself, and don't question those of us who have proven ourselves and those who are looking for advice on how to become our future Corps.

Shastalake
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb1651
    Shastalake,

WTF? I don't know who you are, since you don't see fit to fill out your profile, but you are way off base. I went to boot camp in 1987 at MCRD, (if you know what that means) and we used scrub brushes out on the concrete slab to clean our "everydays".

Until you post who you are, or were, or what your intentions might be to commit to the Marines, please keep your opinion to yourself, and don't question those of us who have proven ourselves and those who are looking for advice on how to become our future Corps.
    Who am I, I'm Jimmy's brother, and I see that my original post was deleted. I apologize for having to post here on what I think is a great forum for all Marines and any military personal who knew what it is like to serve our country, including me. (1964-1968) No disrespect was intended.

Jimmy, if you read this, contact me. I will not let this pass until you do.

530-222-4771

Mike Rogers

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Heck: When I was in boot, you just mosied down to the swamp, brushed away a few water moccasins, kicked an aligator in the nose, washed the ol' utes by beating them between two rocks, didn't bother drying them cause you knew that they would be drenched with sweat and saturated with sand by the end of the day anyway!! Wait a second - I think that was a typical Wednesday in Nam!! I always preferred the Monsoon season - you didn't have to wash clothes for months at a time - perpetual shower!! Strange smell kept following me around - I thought it was just the bango ditches (sewage streams)! I thank God everyday I have a wife to keep me straight, otherwise I'd be living under a bridge down by the river. Later!!

When I was at MCRD (2004) we washed our cammies by hand out at the wash racks. Everything else got machine washed by firewatch everynight. We were issued laundry bags that we would put whatever dirty laundry we needed cleaned, turn it in before Taps, and the next morning they would be packed away clean and fresh in our war bags.

Same thing for us when i went through in 97. Scrub brushes and wash racks outside. We had washing machines in the squad bay but i think they were just for show .

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    When I hit the yellers in 1967 at MCRD San Deigo .....
    Same for me as for Jim, except it was in '65.

Thread Information