Infantry Training
Create Post

Infantry Training

Hi...My son is in PI bootcamp right now and his MOS is infantry. I believe he's supposed to go to SOI after his 10 days are over. My questions are:

1. Is there is any other additional infantry/terrorism training besides SOI before being shipped over to Iraq. I have seen videos of Marines training for Iraq somewhere around Arizona on the military channel. I wouldn't swear to the state.

2. I also want to know if anyone knows of any Marines being shipped to a war zone before they are 18. My son is 17 and doesn't turn 18 until August. He will finish his SOI training a month before he turns 18. I would be surprised if they did as a 17 yr. old soldier getting killed would be a news field day. That's not to say that if they think he's ready, he's ready. I support my son no matter what...after all, we did sign for him to join. I would just like to know what to expect after his SOI training and with being infantry, he's more than likely to go to Iraq or Afghanastan.

3. After his SOI training, do they get any other days off to visit before being sent to a war zone or their duty station? If not, can parents visit him at the SOI?

4. Why are the Marines (and maybe other branches) so hard on people who have had GED's? I know, I know...if you quit school...you may quit the Marines but that's not true. I'd like a real answer. There are many, many reasons why someone has to get a GED (including homeschooling, like I am doing), etc. Even those who quit school just to quit...everyone makes dumb choices in life at some point. There are soldiers who graduated who want to "quit" the service due to the war and the Army just had tons of recalls that didn't show up at all and they are just getting a slap on the hand and discharged. Maybe back in the day when they had too many in the service and was down sizing and there wasn't a war going on, they could be picky but they shouldn't be now...My son has a GED and got in without any college credits because he scored high enough on his ASVAB (that and probably because he wanted infantry, lol). His recruiter was only allowed to let in 1 GED from Jan. through Sept. 2006.

I think that's it for now, lol.

Thanks, great video. That helped a lot.

Hello MOM,
    my name is CPL.ACE, Im a marine in the inactive ready reserve, I have been seperated from the active corps for one year now. to ansewer your first question YES, there will be plenty of additional training for your young marine after S.O.I. before I deployed to Iraq, I went throught a very intense 45 day training op. the training took place in 29 palms california in the middle of the mohave desert. Yes, they will send your son to Iraq even if he is under 18 years of age by the time of the deployment. Before being deployed he will get a block leave of about 15+ day or so, that depends on what unit he is assigned to.there is usually no leave between S.O.I and getting to the fleet( depends on what cost he will be stationed at). parents could visit at S.O.I , but you would only be able to see him on weekends when he is off duty. To tell you the truth I really dont know why the marines are hard on polees with G.E.Ds.I think if a young man wants to serve his country he should be able to , no questions ask no matter what branch of service. I hope I was helpfull.

CPL.ACE (irr)

Thanks mortar, that answered the rest of my questions.

Thread Information