y'all are gonna love this
Create Post

y'all are gonna love this

well i was talking to my girlfriend (of about 1.5 yrs) today. we had a very long fight. i was explaining everything i'm joing the US Marine Corps for... she's a liberal b*tch. so ofcourse she understands no values of loyalty, honor, or patriotism. i told her about the Semper Fi tattoo i want to get on my back, surrounding the tattoo i already have (a sword going through a heart, with a banner that reads "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR"). and she said it's stupid and the Marines is just a job just like anything else (i wont tell you how i chewed her out). told her i cant be with someone of her values. she said all Marines are cocky a*sholes (which i personally like the cockiness).
    she's never put down Marines like this before...
    so i'm a little sad but i think i did the right thing by breaking up with her.

anyone else have that situation? or do all your wives/girlfriends support the military and country?

My girlfriend, at the time I went through MEPs and stuff, wasn't supportive of the idea at all. She's totally against the idea of joining the military. But, she knew that once I made up my mind it was important to me, and did everything she could to encourage me and supportive. She knew not to try and change my mind.

We ended up breaking up a month or so ago, after about 1.5 years, for different reasons, but she was about as supportive as I could ask her to be.

As far as tattoo's go, I wouldn't talk about getting Semper Fi or anything on ya until you actually earn the title and stuff, these guys are gonna probably flip out on you about that.

Oh, and I'm a liberal, and I understand about all of those values, so don't think that every liberal is a candyass. Eisenhower was a democrat, so were FDR and JFK and a lot of other guys that have been through hell and back for their country.

EDIT:

But I agree that you probably did the right thing. If she wasn't supportive now, she sure as hell wouldn't be later

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I had a girlfriend that was sweet as pecan pie. And had all the right parts that would make the Pope think twice.

We had that same argument over the justice of nuking Japan in WW-II. She was against it and I said that it saved a half a million Marine lives.

So guess what, I became a Marine and she started dating a Japanese guy. And we we lived happily ever after!

Don't worry, once you Earn the Title there will be hundreds of women groupies just wanting to "Prove their Patriotism" to you!

Last edited by yellowwing; 02-06-06 at 05:08 AM.

Zippo,

My current girlfriend of almost about a year, coming in about 15 days or so, is supportive of my ethusiasm and desire to join the Marine Corps. At least, as far as I know.

I don't know where we'll be from now until DEP, to Boot, but I know one thing is for sure, I would have done the same thing you did. I will NOT let one girl stop me or hold me back one inch from my goal to be part of the great brotherhood of this great nation, the Marine Corps.

Don't sweat it, I know it's kind of hard, but you'll be glad in the end. Like MKocher said, if she's not supportive and there for you now, the relationship will DEFINITELY not last when your away at Boot and stationed somewhere, etc. Takes a STRONG, trustworthy relationship bond.

From past advice from Marines, one thing you NEVER wanna do is get married before your a NCO or out of the Corps, because Marriages are definitely hard to handle with the hours your away from her.

"Keep on chugging. TOOT TOOT." -MOVIE (Major Paine)

Earn the title bro, earn the title!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    I had a girlfriend that was sweet as pecan pie. And had all the right parts that would make the Pope think twice.

We had that same argument over the justice of nuking Japan in WW-II. She was against it and I said that it saved a half a million Marine lives.

So guess what, I became a Marine and she started dating a Japanese guy. And we we lived happily ever after!

Don't worry, once you Earn the Title there will be hundreds of women groupies just wanting to "Prove their Patriotism" to you!
    Stop making me drool! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MKocher
    As far as tattoo's go, I wouldn't talk about getting Semper Fi or anything on ya until you actually earn the title and stuff, these guys are gonna probably flip out on you about that.
    nah, i dont think there's anything wrong with being excited about what tattoo your gonna get after recruit training. it's not like i'm getting it before i'm a Marine.

Zippo.. at the risk of catching enough flack to build a battleship.. women are like a bus, if the one your with is not the right one, there will be another one along in 10 minutes.. BUT, when you get the right one.. she is worth crawling though hell for.. common values are a important part of a relationship, be it with your girlfriend or the Corps.

thanks for that nagalfar.. i needed to hear that.

haha, you ever hear this saying?

"My Girlfriend Told Me If I Joined The Corps She'd Leave Me!
    Boy, I sure do miss her!"

Thumbs up

Zippo,

I too think you did the right thing.....I have insight from both positions.....
    Nine years ago...I was that girlfriend watching a boyfriend join the Corps....
    Nine years later, I am eight years into a stable marriage with that same Marine and am joining the Corps myself, with less than 5 months to ship.

I was nothing but supportive to him then...as he is to me now. That is the least someone who loves you can do for you...support you because it's a dream of yours whether they agree or not.

Zippo I think you did the right think posting her azz. If shes having a hard time being with you when your going to join the Marine Corps. you two will never make it through a deployment. Besides , your about to become a Marine. As soon as you earn the title your going to have girls throwing themselves at you . And thats a fact. If you need a girlfriend the Marine Corps will issue you one.

My g/f of about 2.5 years now HATES the fact that i joined and doesnt understand at all BUT she is like worsham was. She is supportive of me. If she wasnt then shed be history. I think you did the right thing. LMAO outlaw-"if you need a girlfriend, the Marine Corps will issue you one." HAHAHA. Thats excellent.

hahaha yea dude i cracked up when i read that. i think they say that in Jarhead too

Hehe yea that was good. Sorry about your gurl though that blows.

Thread Information